zuludelta

Why do some people complain about the price of food served on BF?

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just wait for them to go up to the buffet counter for more food and then switch salt and sugar pots around. They will soon find something else to talk about. Problem solved! Ed. 

You've done that before, haven't you?

• Haha 2

It only really annoys me when the restaurant is half empty and they don’t want to have to reset a few more tables.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just wait for them to go up to the buffet counter for more food and then switch salt and sugar pots around. They will soon find something else to talk about. Problem solved! Ed. 

You Ed are a bit of a pirate aren't you?

Back on subject, I think it depends a lot on what you expect from a meal, the proper restaurants are fine dining perhaps £27 or £32 isn't bad if that's what you like but for a lot, myself included that is more than I would pay for a meal.  We have used the restaurants at lunchtime when you can just have the 2 Buffet that is a reasonable price.  We normally use the self service which to me is good value, perhaps not the same quality as the restaurant but certainly not as bad as you get in a lot of fast food outlets and that is what it is, when the PA is full the queue looks endless but they keep a reasonable standard food coming.

For us daytrippers, the price of a daytrip/daytrip with overnight back in a cabin, the offers are so good pricewise.  For the price of a crossing to France and back is the same as a taxi from Bournemouth to Poole, so I don’t mind spending a few extra bob on food.  Also because in my daily life I watch my weight and am careful what I eat, so my days out are an excuse to eat what the heck I like - and that in itself makes the food more enjoyable.  

• Like 2

Some interesting answers there!

8 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

In Spanish restaurants, something like this already happens - the pepper is in the one-hole cannister while the salt is in the five-hole one!

4 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

Some interesting answers there!

In Spanish restaurants, something like this already happens - the pepper is in the one-hole cannister while the salt is in the five-hole one!

That's very often the case here in France too. Ed. 

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That's very often the case here in France too. Ed. 

Did'nt know France were into that pepper pot confusion business too...all done to annoy Johnny-Foreigner of course!

On our local route Ouistreham – Portsmouth I probably eat in the selfservice most often.

No complaints about price – a lot of the eateries at either port will probably charge the same or more.

And although it is selfservice, when staff see me struggling with walking stick and tray of meal with a bottle of wine they almost always take over and carry it to a table. That's the kind of service that makes us love BF – and the food is usually more than half decent.

My film crew colleagues Jerzy and Keith, who do the run more often than I do – and if they are in their big truck sometimes have a day hanging round at one end or the other waiting for deck space – say they prefer to eat on board rather than the port – particularly at Portsmouth.

As for airline / airport food, I haven't tasted either since my last business class flight a few years back. The offerings on ground or airborne I've had since were barely edible on health grounds – long periods without eating are not recommended for folk like me with diabetes.

• Like 2

A slight aside but interested to know how often the buffet is available in the Normandie and Mont restaurants. Is it seasonal or purely based on passenger numbers? I've always found bf very good value for food, whether restaurant, self service or cafe.