There is a short piece in November Ships Monthly stating that somebody intends to resore PS Ryde to operating condition. Estimate is £7m

Well, good luck with that one! 🙄

• Like 1

Will have a look, bought a copy today as the Ship of the Month is a good four pages on Libby, but also features Duchesse Anne and Coutances amongst other stuff.  Good issue this month.

This very interesting drone survey shows what she looked like last year. Basically she is in tatters on her 80th birthday - very sad.

The National Maritime Museum holds her plans in their Denny Collection - it would be easier to build a new one!

Edited by cvabishop

56 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Hope this doesn’t breach copyright - this is the feature.

6EF699DB-411A-4DF3-B0A1-4DEC3935F66F.jpeg

It probably does but don't worry, we'll back you up. It's just a precaution in case the painters use the original by mistake to protect the floor. Ed. 

Very sad seeing the footage - how much of her would be of the original ship.  I remember there was those of us who wanted Caedmon and her sisters preserved and restored, and Caedmon was just a pile of rust herself.  But she was in far better condition, so were her sisters, and even poor old Cuthred would have been a better bet of a successful restoration and refurbishment.  To be honest, I would rather see this person plough money into getting Cuthred back if she has that much money to burn on a dream.  Cuthred is much more likely to be successful.  I would love to see Ryde being restored, but in all honesty it looks absolutely impossible. 

13 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Well funding has been raised - who knows what will happen now! Wouldn't have thought she would be structurally sound to be moved myself

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-46385127

I see its another of these so called `crowdfunding` events..There seems to be no limit to the gullibility of these social media addicts who throw good money after bad...Perhaps the best thing would be to use the money to scrap it in situ...certainly cant see it floating again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

£5,000???? Don't make me laugh! You couldn't even start to scrap it for that.

I`m well aware of that, but I was just making a point