Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Poole and Brexit

10 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Brexit related but also BF related news that is pretty important so thought I’d stick it here.  Move it to Brexit thread if needs be.  Just spotted it in this morning’s paper. Possibly bad news for Barfleur.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/16982794.brexit-could-cut-poole-lorries-to-france-by-a-third/

“Thirty per cent of our agricultural product is exported but we import much more from France. If they’re more difficult with us, then we’ll be more difficult for them.”

this is the Poole MP. YOU WOULD THINK WE (UK) are self sufficient in food but we are not by a long way. We need them more than they need us. A proper Empire reaction send in the gun boats except ours has no aircraft and theirs has several squadrons. I don’t know where we dig these people up from but give them a Knighthood and they will be OK.

• Like 2

I have shared the story on the Poole Harbour and Port History Facebook page so he can see what people think of him in Poole, his attitude could affect a lot of jobs. 

I like the way the “sir ” guy says he will ask the government about this when they resume sitting.

Does he really think they will know?

The people of Poole must be really proud the MP who represents them, he obviously upto speed on the important matters on his patch!

Thanks Brigitte.  Fine to post here provided the discussion remains on-topic.  Purely political posts will be moved or removed.

Regarding the article about Barfleur, the headline contains that cover-all word “could” again. Lots of things have been published about what “could” happen - and in fact, anything “could” happen, so it is a headline that is both a cast-iron certainty and meaningless in equal measure.

Another thing that “could” happen is that Dover becomes so overwhelmed that cross-channel traffic moves west, to less congested ports.  It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I predict that some of the speculative forecasts we’ve seen “could” turn out to be accurate! 😉

• Like 1

Is this BF putting pressure on the French government to make sure things still run smoothly.  As has been said there are people on that side who want things to run smoothly as well and are putting pressure on the be sensible.

I would have thought that if agricultural products can't enter France through Cherbourg and get diverted to Portsmouth the probable congestion and delays there would make Poole more attractive to non agricultural transport. Perhaps the larger problems may come at Plymouth. Are there facilities for checks at Roscoff or St Malo?

Freight and Poole, they are talking about Barfleur in the Echo but what about Pelican, she does Spain, but would this affect her as well, what is the Spanish situation, this is all about the French side, but what abour the Spanish routes.

7 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Freight and Poole, they are talking about Barfleur in the Echo but what about Pelican, she does Spain, but would this affect her as well

Pelican is unaccompanied freight so perhaps not such a great problem. The CI are not in the EU, how do they get on at the moment? Presumably everything isn't shipped via the UK.

Funny how the majority of the posts on the Facebook page I shared the story on are accusing the Echo as scaremongering, so I posted a lnk from the BF press page which has roughly the same on it.  Not a dicky bird, they just carried on commenting about the Echo posting a lot of rubbish and suchlike when the source of the Echo’s story comes directly from the BF press release...🙄

Strange,  when a source straight from the horse’s mouth is given to people disputing a story as scaremongering, that the very same people still carry on oblivious.  This is why I find quoting sources of information so pointless on anything as those who do not want to believe it will carry on not doing so in the face of the most credible sources...  BF have said freight could be affected in Poole themselves...

But BF could have said or done any one of three things:

Said freight could be affected. (This is a warning so no one can say they didn't know at a later date but it's still pure speculation and an attempt at lobbying those with potential influence.)

Said categorically that freight would not be affected. (This is a denial and impossible to guarantee, so very risky.) 

Done nothing and leave us to guess. (This would be imprudent as it suggests either indifference or unpreparedness on behalf of the company and would not go down well with its partners, customers and shareholders.) 

So which one do you think they are likely to go for? The one which generates publicity for them and their cause. It won't harm them in the short term and may well sell a few extra seats in the next few months if local people believe they are about to lose their ferry service. 

As Gareth said earlier, the word 'could' is being massively over-used as a means of speculating and generating negative press coverage to persue a political agenda. 

Ed. 

If I have understood correctly from BBC news, negotiations are primarily stalled over the UK/Irish border issue -  I'm sat in Nottingham wondering what difference would the type or position of this border make to me.  Can anyone explain please?

14 minutes ago, nottingham said:

If I have understood correctly from BBC news, negotiations are primarily stalled over the UK/Irish border issue -  I'm sat in Nottingham wondering what difference would the type or position of this border make to me.  Can anyone explain please?

Your clearly not a “Unionist”. It would save a lot of tax, as would Scottish independence but the politicians would find something else to squander it on so you would be no better off!

Edited by JohnMustow

34 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

But BF could have said or done any one of three things:

Said freight could be affected. (This is a warning so no one can say they didn't know at a later date but it's still pure speculation and an attempt at lobbying those with potential influence.)

Said categorically that freight would not be affected. (This is a denial and impossible to guarantee, so very risky.) 

Done nothing and leave us to guess. (This would be imprudent as it suggests either indifference or unpreparedness on behalf of the company and would not go down well with its partners, customers and shareholders.) 

So which one do you think they are likely to go for? The one which generates publicity for them and their cause. It won't harm them in the short term and may well sell a few extra seats in the next few months if local people believe they are about to lose their ferry service. 

As Gareth said earlier, the word 'could' is being massively over-used as a means of speculating and generating negative press coverage to persue a political agenda. 

Ed. 

I agree with what you say Ed, I was just frustrated and annoyed because people are preferring to shoot down a local medis story as rubbish when it actually is what the company are saying.  It is like people would rather not know as it spoils the fun of thr blame game.  BF are saying it “could” happen, maybe it wil, or maybe it won’t.  But if it does, especially as the past 24 hours have clonked up the chance of a no deal, then there are a lot of people that would be severely inconvenienced.  I was annoyed at Robert Syms saying basically, that we’ll be difficult back, like he actually doesn’t care.