Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Masa-Yards Finland for new build?

Apparently rumour has it that a bunch of BF officals were on a plane to Finland today, apparently so to the Masa-Yards in Finland.. Prehaps to discuss a new build?

2005? Mont Sister?...

Time will tell.. :)

Re:Masa-Yards Finland for new build?

Sounds interesting. Me and Phil were having a debate about if BF do a new build what she will replace or displace in the fleet... could well be interesting...

It would be really sad which the third new ship of Brittany Ferries is not built in France with the "Chantiers de l'Atlantique" with Saint Nazaire!

Where do you get "third" from Yann ?

1) PA; 2) MSM; 3) NMDY; 4) BARFLEUR; 5) BRETAGNE . . . .

A new ship would almost certainly replace the DDN. We have always assumed however that it would be unlikely to come to Plymouth which may not be correct.

Presumably with the alterations taking place at Plymouth, this will now provide a two tier loading ramp as at Portsmouth etc. It would be unlikely therefore for the Bretagne or Val came back to Plymouth as they can only load on one level at a time. They are well suited to the St. Malo route.

It is a distinct possibility therefore that the new ship might be designed with the Plymouth/Roscoff route in mind. A smaller ship / higher speed similar to the Pont / the possibility of extra sailings to Cork ?

Double deck loading is not being constructed at Plymouth, nor Roscoff, Cork or Santander. see www.pont-aven.info/news4.htm for details.

I do, however, think your correct that a new ship would replace the DDN. I dont think it will be a custom build for Roscoff though, more likely a replacement for another route (likely the Normandie). As Poole is almost certainly going to be dredged by the time of another new build I think it is likely the Barfleur may go to Plymouth and maybe the Normandie to Poole.

Having said that, a ship with similar speed to that of the Pont would even things up at Plymouth, and could yes, also assist with sailings to Cork.

Nooooooooo!

Not the Barfleur on the Roscoff run.

That is the only member of the fleet I do not like :-(

To think they are planning to replace my beloved Duc.....

I dont mean to offend, but I think you are in a minority in liking the Duc.

Yeah - I'd noticed that.

Just her character really that does it for me.

No offense taken :-)

Barfleur wont be a regular visitor to Plymouth unless we get a double deck ramp, more likely the Bretagne and she will then have the smallest garage capacity when the Duc goes!

I don´t know where that rumour is coming from, and Toby has also not told us the source, so we can not be sure if we are discussing about his daydreams here :D

But, to continue that here, I also think the ship what would be replaced would for sure be the Duc de Normandie as it´s the oldest ship they have, and the one what don´t fit at all anymore to the standards, what BF is making commercial for. They can´t announce to have good style and a modern fleet and have something like DDN among their ships.

I just hope, personally they won´t replace the Normandie, would be a big pity to replace that good looking stylish ship.

the normandie is only 11 years old.... the bretagne and the val are both 15, i don't think it will be the normandie that goes! maybe the barfleur?

Barfleur and Normandie are actually 12 years old this year and the Val is 2 years older then the Bretagne

I don´t know where that rumour is coming from, and Toby has also not told us the source, so we can not be sure if we are discussing about his daydreams here :D

I can confirm that the source is of an respected memeber of an internal forum who's infomation is well respected..

But like i said its still only a rumour that they will built it there.

I have never had any doubts about Toby's information or his sources, and if his sources are correct then it could be that another new build is in the offing. Albeit that he quite correctly says "at present it is only a rumour".

I am of the mind that if there is to be another new build, then it will be a replacement for an existing vessel. In which case, I feel that the prime candidate wll be the "Duc", as it is the oldest vessel in the fleet (being 26 years old this year) and also, to my mind, the most uncomfortable and the smallest (try manouvring 15 mteres and 44 ton of artic around on the freight deck and you will see what I mean, it's very tight).

As to where the "new build" will operate is anybodys guess, and at the present time to speculate would be unwise as we do not know BF's line of thought. But there again everybody is entitled to an opinion.

My personal bets are that the Duc will go, but it wont be a new ship replacing her - it will be through a fleet 're-shuffle' with a new ship for Portsmouth or Poole.

But.... who knows!

Well you certainly wouldn't hear any complaints from the South West residents if Bretagne "came home" to Plymouth as a replacement for the DDN. To my mind, such a move is long overdue !

Well you certainly wouldn't hear any complaints from the South West residents if Bretagne "came home" to Plymouth as a replacement for the DDN. To my mind, such a move is long overdue !

Wishing & hopeing!!

We will have to wait and see, as we do not know if there is to be a new build, rumours abound. Also we do not know how much of a success the new route will be.

It's all in the melting pot.

Agreed, James. I would love to see the Bretagne back in Plymouth.

Paul,

For once, I do not agree with you on this subject :(

I think that Normandie will replace the Duc de Normandie at the time of the startup of the new ferry on the line Ouistreham - Portsmouth. Normandie is a ferry which is not made for the Saint Malo - Portsmouth line.

Why? : We know all that the Saint Malo - Portsmouth line is very popular, I badly see Normandie with a capacity of 224 cabins on this line. While Bretagne with a capacity of 367 cabins is all is adapted much more to carry out this broad outline.

Indeed all is a problem of capacity of cabins, Paul.

If Brittany Ferries will bring into service on the Saint Malo - Portsmouth line the Val de Loire this summer, it is quite simply that this ship has a great capacity of cabins (517 cabins).

For example, I badly see the Val de Loire on the Cherbourg - Poole line because it is not adapted at all for this line or even the Pont Aven on the Ouistreham - Portsmouth line.

I hope that you understand me, Paul :)

From 2006:

*Ouistreham - Portsmouth : Mont Saint Michel and new ferry.

*Cherbourg - Portsmouth : Val de Loire and Bretagne.

*Cherbourg - Poole : Barfleur and Condor Vitesse.

*Saint Malo - Portsmouth : Valde Loire and Bretagne.

*Roscoff - Plymouth : Normandie and Pont Aven.

*Roscoff - Cork : Pont Aven.

*Plymouth - Santander : Pont Aven.

Greetings from France, Paul :)

Yann Ferries

The one problem for a replacement for the Duc de Normandie is that neither Plymouth nor Roscoff offer double deck loading. As both ports are being upgraded for the Pont-Aven you would have expected a double berth to be installed at the same time if they planned to bring a 'double loader' here. If one was to be built in Plymouth however, it would close the port whilst the work was being carried out as there is now only one usable berth.

It all depends on two things... if indeed a new vessel is ordered for Caen, and upon the sucess of Portsmouth - Cherbourg. I agree that the Val & Bretagne are not ideal for this route and that the Normandie would be far better if she became available.

At Plymouth I think, but it wont happen, it would be good is a vessel with similar speed to the Pont-Aven would replace the Duc. This would 'standardise' the sailing time - making it even more attractive to the public rather than driving east.

Thats just my opinion of course!

i agree it would have to be a single deck loader, however has nobody thought of the possibility of a new build for plymouth - roscoff

MSM + Normandie are both well suited to their route s with the ammount of freight going through portsmouth

VAL + BRETAGNE high cabin numbers on both vessels and therefore well suited to the longest channel crossings from ports - st malo

barfleur - welll suited for a high freight capacity route vetween poole & cherbourg not worth replacing

pont aven - needed for long 18 hr route and purpose built for it

duc - needs replacing, too small for the route and desperately in need of more cabin space on route

its not a case of where WE want to see the ships but where they need to be and where they are better suited to being based on certain features such as cabin space and freight capacity

get my point......???