Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Masa-Yards Finland for new build?

Re:Masa-Yards Finland for new build?

exactly pont-aven, the possibility could be a new build of a high speed single hulled ferry for Plymouth single ramp loading, then could standardise crossing times and allow another crossing to cork....?

What sort of loadings does the Plymouth-Roscoff route see? I would have thought a new build for that route would make a lot more sense than Caen, mainly because of the double deck aspect we have discussed so often.

Also, the Normandie does have quite a bit of life left in her, and therefore does not need to be moved out of the fleet yet surely?

exactly pont-aven, the possibility could be a new build of a high speed single hulled ferry for Plymouth single ramp loading, then could standardise crossing times and allow another crossing to cork....?

Yes John, it would be necessary to build a new fast ferry like the Pont Aven for the line Roscoff - Plymouth.

Then this ship could carry out 2 return per day on this line (time of crossing 4h30 approximately).

To attract more business and expand the number of Plymouth / Roscoff sailings makes good sense. As BAI own the Port de Bloscon any extra port charges will be going back into their own pockets. Also, they've been carrying out a lot of work in Roscoff in recent years to make the approach easier. If you then look at how the new road linking Roscoff with the N175 (?) at Morlaix it's not surprising that freight is on the increase. Perhaps, taking this into account, a new high speed, single deck loading ferry for this route (and also for extra Cork sailings) makes a lot of sense.

In France ports are owned by state. Roscoff one (as most other french ones) is manage by the local "chamber of commerce".

I still think Bretange will return to Plymouth, and a new ship built for Saint Malo and Cherbourg, or maybe just St Malo alone, Barfluer does fine on Poole Cherbourg, and I think a new ship designed for St Malo would be advantageous, and the Bretagne has already proved her worth on Plymouth Roscoff and Santander, and could also if necessary do Roscoff Cork.

that was the other option i considered which although still very possible, the idea of stream lining all the plymouth - roscoff sailing times to 4.5 hours seems a very good idea and would expand the ply - ros market by up to a third.

also if it was needed to do cork - roscoff it could do it at the same sopped as the pont therefore cutting down on delay time if cover was needed. even from plymouth the delay could be as little as 5 hours by the time the passengers got to cork.

I would have more information on this subject in mid-March 2004, because I must meet a person in charge for Brittany ferries in Paris :)

Jim's theory...

*Ouistreham - Portsmouth : Mont Saint Michel and New Build

*Cherbourg - Portsmouth : Normandie (and Val De Loire)

*Cherbourg - Poole : Barfleur and Condor Vitesse.

*Saint Malo - Portsmouth : Val de Loire

*Roscoff - Plymouth : Bretagne and Pont Aven.

*Roscoff - Cork : Pont Aven

*Plymouth - Santander : Pont Aven

Thanks for having to deliver your opinion on this subject, MrJim :)

Normandie would be well to adapt for the Cherbourg - Portsmouth line for me too.

Jim's theory...

*Ouistreham - Portsmouth : Mont Saint Michel and New Build

*Cherbourg - Portsmouth : Normandie (and Val De Loire)

*Cherbourg - Poole : Barfleur and Condor Vitesse.

*Saint Malo - Portsmouth : Val de Loire

*Roscoff - Plymouth : Bretagne and Pont Aven.

*Roscoff - Cork : Pont Aven

*Plymouth - Santander : Pont Aven

I Agree with Jim's thoughts (although I would be sad to see Bretagne leave Portsmouth). One thing I would add is if Bretagne was in Plymouth, maybe she would also do one Roscoff-Cork for that 2nd weekly sailing that has been mentionned before?

Although Mr.Jim's proposal looks quite good, I thought BF were in the process of incresing the St.Malo service.

It would appear to me that no allowance has been made for that, unless of course the "Normandie" is to be put on that route (but double-deck loading come into the equation in that case).

I suppose only time will tell. Increasing the St. Malo Service could just be an experiment like the Cherbourg route. We'll have to wait and see....

A 'Barfleur type' ship would seem a good idea for Plymouth Roscoff. Something to offer a good amount of freight capacity all year round that is able to deal with the seasonal peaks of passenger traffic. ABP figures for 2002/2003 suggest that passenger traffic is pretty flat, only freight traffic seems to be growing. If the route was a big earner for BF it would not have been the route that was the first to see cuts / reduction in capacity in the past.

Yes, but remember Plymouth is gonna stay single span loading for the time being, so a Barfleur tpe ship would be wasted!

Agreed ! Was referring more to capacity rather than loading details.

It is a shame that the various ships have differing ramp requirements, making it hard to move them around as needs may dictate. Barfleur sized ship would be practical for Plymouth route this time of year were it not for the double deck loading. All the other ports either have or seem to have the space that a double ramp would need. Not been to Plymouth for several years, but if I recall correctly the alignment of the berth would make a modification tricky. Norfolkline are getting a couple of new builds next year - meaning a couple of ropax types could be up for grabs.

Hi

Just to know when you are talking about single or double deck and the port installations.

On the Normandie, MSM, or Barfleur, can cars from the upper deck move to lower deck or do these ships need absolutely 2 ramps to load/unload ?

yes, all decks are reachable from the main garage deck. This has to be the case in case of a linkspan failure at a port, or when operating to a different port, like the time Barfleur used to run Poole-Santander (Santander does not have a double-deck linkspan).

I am sure it is similar on other ships, but on Barfleur there is a twin lift that forms part of the lower freight deck lift, which connects deck 3 to deck 5.

It is a slow process, but it can be done. :)