Paully

DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe service

DFDS has published their Dover service fares and sailings for 2019 but for some reason not those on the crossings to Dieppe. The launch date has been put back several times and the latest enquiry to them is somewhat vague in that they say they may be able to publish them in a few weeks time..

Is this a financial complication ?as I know various French subsidies keep this route alive and DFDS merely operate it on behalf of others. Just wondering if anyone knows more about how this route works, behind the scenes as it were, or is there a possibility it might end due to costs?..

Anyone in the know?

29 minutes ago, Paully said:

is there a possibility it might end due to costs?..

I do hope not as it's a very useful, low cost alternative. Ed. 

If state subsidy is involved then they may well be waiting on the outcome of the current Brexit negotiations, as the legality of subsidy within the EU is highly regulated, but after March we will not be in the EU any more and the whole regulatory framework will change. But don't ask me to what extent - my days as an EU policy wonk are now nearly 20 years behind me....

• Thanks 1

Just checked their website and strangely the fares and sailings on this route have been published. Sailings are the same as last year but prices have almost doubled.Sure still much cheaper than BF, although now taking into account the additional fuel/tolls etc I dont think it will have the price advantage that it did last year. Seems the subsidy has been reduced. Wonder how the route will fare going forward?

• Sad 1

Intriguing - Looks like they are leaving the yellow - I wonder if it will get a new version of Transmanche - I would have thought if it was going to be DFDS it would be full blue repaint

It's the Seven Sisters in there as Cote d'Albatre is currently mid-channel heading for Newhaven. They might be contractually obliged to keep the Transmanche name due to the subsidy arrangement they have with the local authority. Ed. 

Seven Sisters yesterday at Dunkerque . Only the '' WWW. '' & ''.com'' has been removed .

You will never see it on DFDS livery because it belongs to the Seine Maritime region

46483137_571470513312984_9199371038050222080_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Seems to be today from what I can make out , here’s a look no to what the photo was actually about.

http://www.nantes.port.fr/actualites/?L=0&a=1159

OK, as I understand it, the usual dredger based and working at St Nazaire and in the Loire estuary is in Dunquerque undergoing conversion to LNG (hence the photo of the tanks on the dockside in Dunquerque with the SS in the background). Another dredger is standing in until she returns in the new year. So the photo was not of St Nazaire but simply related to the port's operational activities. Ed. 

• Like 1

@Paully I have noticed that their pricing does tend to fluctuate somewhat randomly according to how far you are from the travel date. To be honest, avoiding the chaos on other routes may well make any additional charges entirely bearable! I went Dover-Calais once this year as I was heading to the very east of France and it reminded me why I never do!

EDIT: Just priced up our usual week in june and it's offering £150 which is roughly what we usually pay

Edited by LordDevereux
  • Thanks 1

On 21/10/2018 at 18:33, Paully said:

DFDS has published their Dover service fares and sailings for 2019 but for some reason not those on the crossings to Dieppe. The launch date has been put back several times and the latest enquiry to them is somewhat vague in that they say they may be able to publish them in a few weeks time..

Is this a financial complication ?as I know various French subsidies keep this route alive and DFDS merely operate it on behalf of others. Just wondering if anyone knows more about how this route works, behind the scenes as it were, or is there a possibility it might end due to costs?..

Anyone in the know?

Remember that DFDS operate the Newhaven <> Dieppe service on behalf of Transmanche. I imagine there are some organisational differences.