Sign in to follow this  
zuludelta

Quiz: Identify this BF ship and its approximate location?

Location I would put at Portsmouth harbour at low water, near the entrance to the Port Solent channel at the top of the deep water part, looking towards Fareham with the Royal Navy pontoons in the centre of the photo.  Portchester and the new Carrier leading lights out of view to the right of the picture.  Ship is probably Etretat (or maybe BDS) but not certain.  Maybe Etretat turning some way out into the habour in the evening at the end of a summer day passage from Le Havre?But I can’t equate the location with any BF port apart from Portsmouth.

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Location I would put at Portsmouth harbour at low water, near the entrance to the Port Solent channel at the top of the deep water part, looking towards Fareham with the Royal Navy pontoons in the centre of the photo.  Portchester and the new Carrier leading lights out of view to the right of the picture.  Ship is probably Etretat (or maybe BDS) but not certain.  But I can’t equate the location with any BF port apart from Portsmouth.

I think she's only just off the berth with HMS Bristol starboard with the RN floating jetty on her 1o'clock.

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It had better not be you know what, you know where. 😉 Ed. 

Just for you Ed, no fantasising now...  thought you'd appreciate her being shown as a younger lady.

Image result for mv barfleur

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

At least they didn't try to pass her off as a cruise ferry in those days. She pretty much does what it says on the side. Ed. 

So do most of the rest of them, for me only the Pont and Bretagne are cruise ferries.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jonno said:

So do most of the rest of them, for me only the Pont and Bretagne are cruise ferries.

Yeah but only Poole and Barfleur get it in the neck,  for someone who doesn’t like all the Poole Barfleur stuff being talked about, why stir the pot AGAIN.  

36 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Yeah but only Poole and Barfleur get it in the neck,  for someone who doesn’t like all the Poole Barfleur stuff being talked about, why stir the pot AGAIN.  

Hang on... The only person who's mentioned Poole is your good self, three times in as many posts. As for not liking Barfleur I suggest you check my post history, I've had a very strong attachment to her ever since I gave blood, sweat and tears helping to create the Linkspan she uses.

Who said anything about me not liking Poole either, I was the one laughed at for suggesting Etretat could run to Spain from the port and that there's no reason that Pont Aven couldn't slip in there either.

Do I need to join the Club in order to allow some members their continued daily dose of Jonno bashing or something?

The photo isn’t Poole.  The drying sandbanks at Poole are marked on the edge of the ship channel by proper buoys, not fixed posts.  The fixed posts put this picture in Portsmouth Harbour.

• Like 1

Khaines, you are the only one to have mentioned either that vessel or that port by name in this thread so far. You have inferred that we may be taking about them. Until Jonno very kindly posted that throwback photo, in the belief it would interest me, most of the attention was on Etretat. 

Pehaps Zuludelta will be kind enough to give us another one. 

Ed

He’ll probably tell us it’s Connemara in Santander or something like that!  We’re probably all wrong.

(Although I ruled out Santander on the same grounds I ruled out Poole).