Quiz: Identify this BF ship and its approximate location?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve got no idea about the internal bridge configurations.  But I’d be surprised if the land in view on the LHS of the second photo was the western side of the IoW.  Too flat and not white enough.  Th

Thanks for all the responses. But can't believe nobody got it right! It was the Mont St Michel (23:00 Caen - Portsmouth) sailing taken last June! The photo was taken just after I got up

Being 6ft 2ins I get a excellent view over the shallower section of the gunwhale too which is great just as she's swinging her stern onto St Malo's linkspan and on a barmy night heading out of Portsmo

Posted Images

Some of them will, I think, zuludelta.  They will have flashing red or green (mostly red) lights on top.  They mark the northern edge of the navigable water (and the dredged channel up to Port Solent).

It was in that area that Pride of Winchester went aground in the early 90s.  The former Viking Viscount - as Vitsentzos Kornaros, and one of the only two former TT passenger ferries still around, the subject of another thread.

Well, on the seaward side, between the spit and La Magdalena, there is no real need because the deep water channel is marked by normal floating can buoys.  Not sure about the southern side.  It won’t be marked for big shipping, as the whole area is fairly shallow, but I think there is small boat activity.  As well, of course, as the harbour ferry which connects Santander with Pedrena.  So the small navigable channels to the south of the spit will be marked by something, but I’m not sure whether it is small can buoys or fixed posts.

15 hours ago, Khaines said:

Yeah but only Poole and Barfleur get it in the neck,  for someone who doesn’t like all the Poole Barfleur stuff being talked about, why stir the pot AGAIN.  

Please Khaines stop getting upset  look non of  Brittany ferries ships don’t get in the neck  and the Barfleur  and her stuff don’t  either  

and Brittany Ferries don’t get it in the neck at all  even Brittany Ferries head officials can tell you that  and one thing  every  member staff and ships  are  respected  by everyone in Brittany Ferries and yes every  season in  Poole every year is very different same with all Brittany Ferries port 

I know Poole is your Hart khain but please take it easy and  calm  And don’t get upset 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I don't think it's Santander given the position the photo was taken from, unless Gareth was out on the water within the port. Ed 

Took a guess on Santander because I believe it's the only port she has ever used her forward doors.

Ah yes - a "long shot".  Good idea!  That will help put you all out of your misery - and explain to Ed how I got the angle (courtesy of a good telephoto lens!)

10/10 for Nick Hall, who rumbled it first up out of the blocks.  I figured at that point it must have been far too easy!

Ed - the dockside at Santander curves round, so that from the point where you queue before going through passport control, this is the view you get.

• Like 1