Sign in to follow this  
zuludelta

Quiz: Identify this BF ship and its approximate location?

12 minutes ago, Gareth said:

10/10 for Nick Hall, who rumbled it first up out of the blocks.  I figured at that point it must have been far too easy!

IMG_3023.JPG

Ha ha easy, or is it my powers of observation and investigation are of a superior nature. 😏

• Haha 1

Only two possibilities for a starboard-side-to bow in berthing. Portsmouth berth 4 or Roscoff.  Either way I reckon Pont Aven, and if I had to go for one it would probably be Roscoff.

1 minute ago, nick hall said:

After several minute counting bridge windows I think the bridge is on Barfleur.

Which means Pool - Cherbourg or Dover - Calais.

Don't mention Barfleur, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.😀

With apologies to John cleese and Connie Booth.

• Haha 1

BDS for pic one and two. The digital heading on pic#2 offers me no clue as to where but there looks to be land (I.O.W?) so I'll venture up the channel heading in to Portsmouth from Spain.

2nd on probably is Barf, as that looks like the IOW from the Poole side.  Bridge is too small to be Armorique.  Been on Barf’s bridge years ago but cannot remember too much about the details!

I’ve got no idea about the internal bridge configurations.  But I’d be surprised if the land in view on the LHS of the second photo was the western side of the IoW.  Too flat and not white enough.  That end of the IoW is very distinctive, even from as far away as Poole.  Probably not the eastern side of the IoW on the way into the Solent either.  I’d put the headland as probably one of the Channel Islands.  Either Jersey or (more likely) Sark.  In which case, from the bridge of Bretagne.

• Like 2

The white side of the IOW does tend to disappear in mist, the “polar bear” goes into hiding and blends in with the scenery around him.  There doesn’t appear to be heavy enough mist for him to hide though, and that pesky windscreen wiper is over the exact spot.

Gareth’s suggestion of the Channel Islands is a good one though.  I have thought of Cherbourg on the way out but think from memory that is quite hilly with a lot of white buildings on the LHS.  

Edited by Khaines

Ok, a Morlaix-registered ship.  We already know it’s a current member of the fleet so....

If it’s not Bretagne, I believe it can only be Armorique, Pont Aven or Cap Finistere.  Armorique could be anywhere.  For the other two, the eastern IoW must be in consideration.  I don’t think it’s the NW tip of Brittany.

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's perhaps the headland just north of Le Havre? Ed. 

Cap d’Antifer.  Yes, it could be.  But approach to Le Havre in the middle of the day would not fit with schedules.  And I don’t think either Etretat or BDS are registered in Morlaix are they?

It is the South Eastern side of the IoW and Gareth guessed earlier it was the Bretagne.  Photo taken August 15th 2015.

My children were very very lucky enough to be invited to the Bridge.

3B99B334-33D7-432E-8966-235EBF3CBC0E.jpeg

41EB87C3-AB56-4332-B1A7-DEDE201D5865.jpeg

C2AEB9A1-C642-4DDB-A1C4-576595FEF60B.jpeg

5B945D61-5707-407D-85E8-61030E2EECBD.jpeg

5393AD18-27AB-4473-BB52-8CC2524E67EF.jpeg

• Like 1