Sign in to follow this  
zuludelta

Quiz: Identify this BF ship and its approximate location?

24 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Nice to see a “proper”wheel.  Nowadays they are the sizes of LP records...

The modern wheels are easier to handle, as opposed to a large one that has several rotations. In my opinion at least.

• Like 1

Always good to see the Bretagne, the grand old lady of the seas 😍.....Just about to book to travel on her both ways next year..My wallet says outward via Cherbourg but my heart says St Malo and Bretagne. All joking apart though, the Barfleur is only 3 years newer than the Bretagne and has earned her keep, reliably, throughout the ensuing years. She was build for a different route and purpose(Truckline) but has been a good source of revenue and employment to many over the years..

Aah decisions decisons🤣

I've been up there and didn't recognise it, so I have no excuse. I even thought there were too many windows along the bridge wing.

27 minutes ago, Paully said:

Always good to see the Bretagne, the grand old lady of the seas

I could wax lyrical about her... Early' 90's heading to Santander, post storm but still a very heavy swell. She was going at a fair pace and just sliced through and rode over them with her clipper bow, increased sheer line and a perfectly balanced higher centre of gravity. Seas she was built for. There was a graceful rhythm to it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Is that bow area publicly accessible - there are people out there, appearing not to be wearing uniforms,

Yes accessible to passengers on the Bretagne, except, obviously, in adverse weather..The ropes and anchors are handled one deck below.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Is that bow area publicly accessible - there are people out there, appearing not to be wearing uniforms,

Being 6ft 2ins I get a excellent view over the shallower section of the gunwhale too which is great just as she's swinging her stern onto St Malo's linkspan and on a barmy night heading out of Portsmouth.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Khaines said:

You have to take the stairs at the far end of the self-service restaurant, go down a deck (or two - can't remember exactly) and there are doors leading outside on both sides of the bow. Our follow the outside cabin corridors towards the bow on deck 6 (I think). There are couple of benches there but hardly anyone knows about it. Ed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

You have to take the stairs at the far end of the self-service restaurant, go down a deck (or two - can't remember exactly) and there are doors leading outside on both sides of the bow. Our follow the outside cabin corridors towards the bow on deck 6 (I think). There are couple of benches there but hardly anyone knows about it. Ed.

Interesting, Ed. 

Bit like the “secret” way of getting to a little known set of seats on either Mont of Armorique.  Was mentioned on her ages ago, a small ouside area just below the bridge windows.  Cannot remember the ship, one of those two, pretty sure.  Think someone said about some doorway leading to this place.

Edited by Khaines

2 hours ago, Khaines said:

Interesting, Ed. 

Bit like the “secret” way of getting to a little known set of seats on either Mont of Armorique.  Was mentioned on her ages ago, a small ouside area just below the bridge windows.  Cannot remember the ship, one of those two, pretty sure.  Think someone said about some doorway leading to this place.

MSM has a bow viewing area with a few bench seats, not quite as good as Bretagne but not bad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Follow the signs for the cinema if I’m recall correctly , as one staff member said to another customer when asked if the bow viewing area  was open “yes , unless it’s not “

748FD2ED-0E88-4258-8B14-4708451B7A5E.thumb.jpeg.7ef9e8cd303e0026c0a9ca2f5a783701.jpegAF6502F0-634C-4941-BAB7-8910A44404D0.thumb.jpeg.e597ddd3ac7196e9ad2ce5d0bbe650a2.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

MSM has a bow viewing area with a few bench seats, not quite as good as Bretagne but not bad.

Thanks for that, I knew it was either her or Arm.  Remember people on here commenting thst not many people knew how to get there.  I think thr door that leads to it is locked some of the time though, so even those who know where it is are a bit unlucky therr!

• Like 1

Just realised I was talking about Bretagne and everybody else was talking about MSM , it had been a long day , anyway everybody on here loves a photo of Bretagne.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Just realised I was talking about Bretagne and everybody else was talking about MSM , it had been a long day , anyway everybody on here loves a photo of Bretagne.

No you were right it was about Bretagne, MSM and Armorique joined in later.

6 minutes ago, jonno said:

No you were right it was about Bretagne, MSM and Armorique joined in later.

Yes, Ed memtioned there was a way to get to the outside bow deck on Bretagne as in the photo, and I remembered that a while back someone had mentioned an outside area on either MSM or Armorique where you could sit just below the bridge, but difficult to find unless you were “in the know”.  Tumnus2010 confirmed it was MSM, so that is how those two crept into the conversation. 

I've just realised how difficult it is to find an appropriate photo as most of those I take are views from the ships, and not of the vessels themselves.

However, here's one.

Which current member of the fleet is pumping fumes into the Portsmouth sky. And which day of the week would it have been taken on given that it was at 8.30pm in September 2016. And if you can guess the vantage point, even better. Ed

photo BF 1.jpg

I`ll have a plump for the Baie de Seine....Looking at time, I`d say taken from the Bretagne.............maybe but I could be way out on both counts 🙂

26 minutes ago, Paully said:

I`ll have a plump for the Baie de Seine....Looking at time, I`d say taken from the Bretagne.............maybe but I could be way out on both counts 🙂

One right out of two. Well done, but which is correct? And when you get the other one right the day should be easier. Ed. 

oooh you are a tease 😓....I`ll stick with taken from the Bretagne and twist on t`other 😂...I`ll go away for a lie down in a darkened room