Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Cruise Ferry 'Excellent' hits berth in Barcelona.

Blinking hec - the knock-on effects of what looks like a relatively low-speed collision are quite something. Hope nobody was hurt.

According to various reports, including the one below, no-one was injured fortunately. If the point of impact had been 5 metres left or right then it could have been either much worse for the larger crane or more damage to the ship. Ed. 

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/10/31/world/europe/ap-eu-spain-port-collision.html&ved=2ahUKEwiOvoCQyrDeAhUEx4UKHe_kDa8QFjABegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0sPCJTJ-W49XGjFcT39Nvw

Saw this on Facebook a few minutes ago, I am surprised the ship escaped as much damage as she did.  As Ed says, things could have been a lot worse, the ship seems just to have some large scratches but that is about it.  Would not like to be in the Master’s shoes at this moment in time.

Looking at Google maps, I assume it happened here:

Dropped Pin
near Zona Franca - Port, Barcelona, Spain

https://goo.gl/maps/iVFdqyyRYVP2

Most of the ferries take a different route into the port so I wonder what it was doing there? There were very strong winds in the Med earlier in the week but I though things had calmed down. Ed

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Looking at Google maps, I assume it happened here:

Dropped Pin
near Zona Franca - Port, Barcelona, Spain

https://goo.gl/maps/iVFdqyyRYVP2

Most of the ferries take a different route into the port so I wonder what it was doing there? There were very strong winds in the Med earlier in the week but I though things had calmed down. Ed 

She's in the right place, the terminal used by GNV and Grimaldi Lines is just along a bit from the cranes.

Edited by hhvferry

On AIS she entered the harbour started turning to berth and then started to head out again when she turned to starboard and hit the quayside.

58 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

She's in the right place, the terminal used by GNV and Grimaldi Lines is just along a bit from the cranes.

I see. There is no link-span. They simply drop the ramp on to the dockside. Thanks. Ed. 

The weather down here in the south hasn’t been too clever since Saturday.  

Basically, it has been raining virtually non-stop and it was very windy overnight and we’re some way from the coast.  Some flooding is likely - although we’re on high ground.

Just been looking on the local paper’s website and the beach near Montpellier that we enjoyed a sunny day on, just 5 weeks ago, is today completely ravaged  !

The yellow overalls and black overalls with yellow writing on being worn in the video plus some of the signage suggest a Corsica/Sardinia Ferries ship. And perhaps one of the older ones judging by the centre stairwell so likely one of the Gotlanders or one of the two Stena Rickmers they have.

So not relevant to the Excellent but a fascinating and somewhat worrying video given what impact free surface effect can have.

Edit - the person who posted the video also appears to work for Corsica Ferries.

Edited by hhvferry
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Sounds like a case of whataboutery, heh Neil? 😀 Ed. 

Ed - don't confuse "whataboutery" with "what aboutery".  They must be different things - the latter is the greatest curse of the modern age.  Not something to be messed with. 😉

Interestingly, the video seems to have been taken down.  If hhv is right, and it was put up by a Corsica Ferries employee, I bet the person in question is in deep trouble.

To finish off the Corsica Ferries video it looks like it was one of the Rickmers sisters which were swamped in their winter layup berth in Savona - although the Corsica Express III looks like she was the ship most at risk.

https://www.ivg.it/2018/10/paura-a-porto-vado-traghetto-corsica-ferries-rompe-gli-ormeggi/

vado2-U10598063479zbB--673x320@IlSecoloX

As for the Excellent her round trip to Tangier was cancelled and it looks like Friday's rotation to Genoa is also off but she's back in the booking engine for Sunday's Barcelona-Tangier departure. People waiting for the Excellent in Tangier should be able to transfer to the GNV Cristal ex Pride of Le Havre though so there's a silver lining for them 😊

Edited by hhvferry
  • Like 2

Earlier in the week the Celebrity Constellation broke free from her moorings due strong winds in the port of  La Spezia, Italy. She made contact with the Costa Magica, but thankfully no injuries or serious damage resulted.