Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Portsmouth ferry company among others sued for not carrying game birds from France to UK

Portsmouth ferry company among others sued for not carrying game birds from France to UK

Ferry companies which stopped carrying pheasant chicks for the shooting industry because of welfare concerns are being challenged in court by French game bird breeders. Brittany Ferries – which operates services between Portsmouth and France – P&O Ferries and DFDS Seaways stopped transporting the birds and fertilised eggs across the English Channel from France. The decision came following an undercover investigation by the League Against Cruel Sports in 2015 into factory farms where some of the animals are born. Animal welfare organisations praised the move but French game breeders, who provide at least 20m birds for shoots in the UK, are now suing the companies.

Brittany Ferries declined to comment when approached by The News. Chris Luffingham, director of campaigns at the League Against Cruel Sports, says: ‘It is clear to the league and the public at large that Brittany Ferries, P&O Ferries and DFDS Seaways are acting with integrity in refusing to carry pheasant and partridge chicks for shooting. ‘It is commendable this position is not only being taken from a commercial perspective, but because it is the right thing to do.’ Young pheasants and partridges are taken to Cherbourg or Calais for the ferry crossing to Portsmouth or Dover, before their journey ends with being unloaded at an English shooting estate. 

Source: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/crime/portsmouth-ferry-company-among-others-sued-for-not-carrying-game-birds-from-france-to-uk-1-8687493?fbclid=IwAR0SMbHxmp5Ta2H2n0haMzgL1AC669tTgDs1AtMvw6_jQXDGLHXxHmm1hwg

I remember being on the dockside at St Malo when thousands of racing pigeons were released after coming over on a ferry. Had to find their own way home to Yorkshire.

Pheasant shoots - wealthy people blasting birds out of the sky for fun and paying for it.  Lining some toff’s pockets.  They dump a lot of the pheasants they shoot anyway.  Heaps of dead birds have been found by roadsides and in hedges.  Just killinv for the sake of it, ought to be banned like fox hunting.  What is so ironic about all this is that the royal family go game shooting including William and Harry and William is meant to be so for wildlife conservation yet come Boxing day he is out blasting pheasants out of the sky with his family.  Prince Philip wax patron/president of the world wildlife fund and he used to go on safaris...  

One rule for toffs and royalty....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobCrox said:

I remember being on the dockside at St Malo when thousands of racing pigeons were released after coming over on a ferry. Had to find their own way home to Yorkshire.

You can see crates of them in Cherbourg.  I have no issue with racing pigeons, only that the owners can sometimes kill the ones deemed useless.  Often see ringed pigeons amongst the feral pigeons in town, they are escapees from the racing world mixing with their wild cousins.  Happier lives they probably live as well, they are free to do what they want.

8 minutes ago, Khaines said:

You can see crates of them in Cherbourg.  I have no issue with racing pigeons, only that the owners can sometimes kill the ones deemed useless.  Often see ringed pigeons amongst the feral pigeons in town, they are escapees from the racing world mixing with their wild cousins.  Happier lives they probably live as well, they are free to do what they want.

Not a fan of pheasant shooting then, what about pigeons? Loads of them get shot around docklands, thousands of them.

Me, I couldn't care less although thinking about it I suppose they are a game bird and outside they probably get more of a fighting chance than their mates who are destined for the supermarket chiller. No different to chickens and turkey's really.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Not a fan of pheasant shooting then, what about pigeons? Loads of them get shot around docklands, thousands of them.

Me, I couldn't care less although thinking about it I suppose they are a game bird and outside they probably get more of a fighting chance than their mates who are destined for the supermarket chiller. No different to chickens and turkey's really.

My attitudes to pheasant shooting is more to do with the way pheasants are actually bred for people to shoot for a day’s jollies.  You ask about pigeons, Jonno.  Pigeons aren’t normally bred specifically for hunting and are often shot as they can be a nuisance.    Chickens and turkeys are bred for food, so there is a difference, pheasants are rarely eaten, their carcasses are usually dumped.  I have no issue with people shooting pheasants or any game bird for the pot, but with pheasant shooting it is the wealthy who pay for a days shooting on a country estate owned by some toff, who just toss away the dead bird.  It is killing for human entertainment.  Pheasants who are bred for the chiller maybe don’t have such a fighting chance, but they at least are meant for food,

I once carried a swallow (or something like that) all the way back from Holland to the UK.  Didn’t have much choice about it - it just decided to hitch a lift by perching on one of the spreaders near the top of the mast.  Flew off when we got near land. It was very cute! 😆

• Like 1

Some friends of mine back in the 90s trespassed onto some estate  land and let pheasants intended for shoots out of their pens - I didn’t, honest, Guv! (Woods at night,not a bloomin chance)  They went and smashed up the pheasant pens.  Pheasants have their beaks clipped as well to stop them pecking each other.

A very Halloween tale seeing that we are talkng about birds on the 31st of October.  Memories of being in one of the WW2 bunker complexes out in Normandy and we went into a dark passage where we accidentally disturbed some birds - don’t ask what they were but they weren’t happy with us.  Birds fluttering and dive bombing around your head in the dark underground is a pretty weird experience..😄

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know on what legal basis this action is being taken, and why those taking the action think they might succeed.

4 hours ago, Khaines said:

My attitudes to pheasant shooting is more to do with the way pheasants are actually bred for people to shoot for a day’s jollies.  You ask about pigeons, Jonno.  Pigeons aren’t normally bred specifically for hunting and are often shot as they can be a nuisance.    Chickens and turkeys are bred for food, so there is a difference, pheasants are rarely eaten, their carcasses are usually dumped.  I have no issue with people shooting pheasants or any game bird for the pot, but with pheasant shooting it is the wealthy who pay for a days shooting on a country estate owned by some toff, who just toss away the dead bird.  It is killing for human entertainment.  Pheasants who are bred for the chiller maybe don’t have such a fighting chance, but they at least are meant for food,

Mmm, thinking about it and having a further mooch it's not just the rich and shameless either some around Norfolk see it as a step up from paintballing... sad B's.

Yep banning it would be a step forward.

• Like 1