zuludelta

We need to talk about speed...

9 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

If you look at Cap or Pont on AIS they rarely seem to be above 22/24knts for most of the Spanish crossing.

The only crossing that the Pont regularly goes any where near her top speed is the Sunday morning Roscoff to Plymouth one , I’m sure I’ve seen some old photos that advertised her doing Portsmouth Santander in 22 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

The only crossing that the Pont regularly goes any where near her top speed is the Sunday morning Roscoff to Plymouth one , I’m sure I’ve seen some old photos that advertised her doing Portsmouth Santander in 22 hours.

One of my friends said they did it Ros/Ply in about 4hr with bad weather on the way.  Didn't the Armorique do a fast crossing a few weeks ago to beat the weather?

2 hours ago, Solo said:

One of my friends said they did it Ros/Ply in about 4hr with bad weather on the way.  Didn't the Armorique do a fast crossing a few weeks ago to beat the weather?

Standing at the bow as they clear the port at Roscoff is pretty impressive it’s some sound , I think that’s when Pont is at her smoothest and most graceful when she’s going flat out it’s a great sailing to experience.

5 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Standing at the bow as they clear the port at Roscoff is pretty impressive it’s some sound , I think that’s when Pont is at her smoothest and most graceful when she’s going flat out it’s a great sailing to experience.

And watching the Pont's sheer power  from the stern when she is clipping along at 26/27 knots is equally impressive. Seeing the wake left by 42,000GT is always a beautiful sight! In fact, the outside stern decks of the Pont are probably my favourite part of the PA.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I'm pretty certain that the Pont only regularly used her speed capabilities to the full in the first couple of seasons before BF realised how much money was going up the funnel even in 2004-2006 fuel price conditions. In that time I do recall a couple of speedy spells on her between StM and Portsmouth and it was impressive. But in the context of the schedule pretty  pointless since we arrived at the usual time for the Bretagne schedule.

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Millsy said:

I'm pretty certain that the Pont only regularly used her speed capabilities to the full in the first couple of seasons before BF realised how much money was going up the funnel even in 2004-2006 fuel price conditions. In that time I do recall a couple of speedy spells on her between StM and Portsmouth and it was impressive. But in the context of the schedule pretty  pointless since we arrived at the usual time for the Bretagne schedule.

I agree, when BF introduced the Pont Aven, an around one or two hour departure delay on a Portsmouth Spain voyage would have been made up (subject to weather conditions), these days there doesn't seem to be such an inertia to make up lost time.   But, it's worth mentioning, I've been looking back at my old BF Santander bookings and BF have done extremely well at keeping the travel cost down.  So they must have quote realised how much money was going up the funnel !

I think, as Gareth has mentioned, gaining the required PEC for passage through the Chenel du Four has given BF the opportunity to keep speeds down whilst maintaining the magic 24 hr figure. 

A question...  If all of the Spanish ships tend to maintain 22kts and travel the same passage, why does BDS take 5 hours longer when she could clearly cover the distance in the same time?

4 minutes ago, jonno said:

I think, as Gareth has mentioned, gaining the required PEC for passage through the Chenel du Four has given BF the opportunity to keep speeds down whilst maintaining the magic 24 hr figure. 

A question...  If all of the Spanish ships tend to maintain 22kts and travel the same passage, why does BDS take 5 hours longer when she could clearly cover the distance in the same time?

Because she is Economie!

2 hours ago, jonno said:

She seems to do about 18 or 19 knots when I’ve looked at her on the fleet tracker.

If she knocks 5 hours off 4 crossings per week that gives her 20 hours of inactivity that will cost BF in mooring fees I suppose, so it's cheaper for her to be at sea. Ed. 

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Exactly, from a consumer point of view there is something magical about the "24hr" figure. People can instantly figure out that if they leave Portsmouth for example at 5.15 pm UK Time they will be in Spain at 6:15pm the next day. When you have a 32 hour crossing it just sounds too long and drawn out. 24hrs is neat. 

I too would be interested why BDS takes 5hrs longer?

49 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

Exactly, from a consumer point of view there is something magical about the "24hr" figure. People can instantly figure out that if they leave Portsmouth for example at 5.15 pm UK Time they will be in Spain at 6:15pm the next day. When you have a 32 hour crossing it just sounds too long and drawn out. 24hrs is neat. 

I have to admit that I was always a bit reluctant to choose the Sunday departure of the Cap because of the extra 8 hours spent on board. And then it occurred to me, that it did not actually increase my overall journey time - it just meant that my second night of the journey was spent on board in the same bed as the first, rather than at a campervan park or an Airbnb en-route to Valencia, Gandía or Denia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

If she knocks 5 hours off 4 crossings per week that gives her 20 hours of inactivity that will cost BF in mooring fees I suppose, so it's cheaper for her to be at sea. Ed. 

And slow steaming is cheaper.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

She seems to do about 18 or 19 knots when I’ve looked at her on the fleet tracker.

Ah... so round about the same 10% speed reduction.

41 minutes ago, jonno said:

Ah... so round about the same 10% speed reduction.

According to Wikipedia her top speed is 23 knots so it makes sense her economic cruising speed would be relatively slower , it will be interesting to see how the eflexers are configured speed wise whether the economic range is nearer the top speed through gearing maybe.

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

According to Wikipedia her top speed is 23 knots so it makes sense her economic cruising speed would be relatively slower , it will be interesting to see how the eflexers are configured speed wise whether the economic range is nearer the top speed through gearing maybe.

A lower cruising speed also increases lifespan so I'd imagine with a top end of 22 knots they'll be around 18-19 too. Presumably their attraction will be greater customer offer and a large increase of vehicle space than BDS or even Etretat if it comes to it.

One of the major draws of both the Pont and the Cap' will remain their ability to cruise faster if needed and as @JohnMustow say's, it attracts a premium price.