Sign in to follow this  
quibby

Brittany Ferries 1993

A few years ago someone very kindly scanned the brochures from 1990, 1991 and 1992. Does anyone have the brochure from 1993? I would love to see the timetables on the Roscoff route after the introduction of the Val and I think the Duchesse also ran alongside the Quiberon that year? Any help much appreciated!

Edited by quibby

Of course, I understand that.

The August timetable definitely shows a two-ship operation between Wednesday and Sunday. I know Quiberon was the main Roscoff ship, but considering Val de Loire would have served Spain and Cork as well, there must have been a third vessel involved, and I am not sure what that ship could have been. 

I don't have the Irish brochure for '93 so I can't see exactly what the schedules were but this was the time of the Cork-St Malo route which was operated by the Duchesse Anne.

She also did the supplementary Roscoff-Plymouth sailings so I assume made a light coastal sail from Roscoff to St Malo and back to achieve this.

This was the fleet as it was in '93 -

bf93fleet.jpg

bfroutemap93.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, hhvferry said:

She also did the supplementary Roscoff-Plymouth sailings so I assume made a light coastal sail from Roscoff to St Malo and back to achieve this.

I seem to remember that there were some Plymouth - St Malo and St Malo - Plymouth sailings back then.

So it looks like the Duchesse Anne covered Roscoff sailings

ex Roscoff W AM

Ex Plymouth W PM

Ex Roscoff W Eve

Ex Plymouth Th AM

Ex Roscoff Th PM

Ex Plymouth Th Eve

Ex Roscoff Fr Eve (shortly before Val arrives to go to Cork hence earlier than usual departure)

Ex Plymouth Sat AM

Ex Roscoff Sat PM

Ex Plymouth Sat Eve (Val departs very early ex Roscoff Sun AM to allow Duchesse into berth and then off to Cork? I assume the Val covered the Sunday sailings as she usually did on Sundays in years after 1993)

• Like 2

Just to follow up on the Cork-St Malo route, in 1994 the Duchesse Anne's extra Roscoff-Plymouth sailings were abandoned and the ship spent those days doing a St Malo-Poole route instead which made more sense in terms of positioning and also added capacity after the Bretagne's blockbuster first season at St Malo. These are the '94 timetables.

bfstmalo_poole94.jpg

bfplymouth_roscoff94.jpg

This is the '96 Irish timetable - with one round St Malo trip a week in season, d St Malo 1900 arr Cork 1230, d Cork 2359 arr St Malo 1900.

bfstmalo_cork96.jpg

The Duchesse Anne continued doing this until 1996 when she and her routes were sacrificed after one of the company's intermittent financial crises. The folks in Cork were optimistic in the early years about the St Malo route, even suggesting a freighter might be added. I wonder what would have happened if BF had seized the initiative on this one - various other companies got into that freight market instead.

bf_corknews93.jpg

• Like 4