Andy

New onboard entertainment for 2019

We had a male voice choir on Barfy a while ago, they were excellent.   Bournemouth based lads.  They sang a lot of the stuff like Blue Moon and other Fifties classics.

52 minutes ago, Khaines said:

We had a male voice choir on Barfy a while ago, they were excellent.   Bournemouth based lads.  They sang a lot of the stuff like Blue Moon and other Fifties classics.

I didn't know/had forgotten that there was live entertainment on Barfleur - is that all year round?

53 minutes ago, nottingham said:

I didn't know/had forgotten that there was live entertainment on Barfleur - is that all year round?

Not that I know of, first time ever, huge group of blokes boarded as footies, I thought they were a sports team or something, they all of a sudden started  singing - a crowd gathered round and they got a round of applause.  Not sure if it was actually organised or they just got permission to sing.  Think they were called the Bournemouth Men’s Choir or something. 

• Like 1

Makes me nostalgic for the Stena Normandy. A great December Friday night when the cabaret was The Platters. I asked the Purser, standing beside me, if they were genuine and he said "I hope so. They are costing us a fortune". They put on a brilliant show. Dates me, I suppose.

• Like 1

I wonder if they are going after the mini-cruise trade to offset some of the predicted reduction in regular holidaymaker traffic next year? This is the type of thing that will help attact mini-cruisers. I remember the entertainment on Pride Of Bilbao ( P&O Players I think they were called? ) It was West End Musical type entertainment, not normally my cup of tea but was superbly staged and included a cast who really could sing.

Andy

On 02/11/2018 at 18:41, nottingham said:

By the sound of it, this was just a group travelling who did it as a one-off.

Back in the early Barfleur years there was regular entertainment in Les Alizés bar area, and often very good too. I remember buying a CD on board of the performing band which seemed a good idea at the time, only to get home and find the recording quality was abysmal....

Chris

1 hour ago, ac_freeman said:

I wonder if they are going after the mini-cruise trade to offset some of the predicted reduction in regular holidaymaker traffic next year? This is the type of thing that will help attact mini-cruisers. I remember the entertainment on Pride Of Bilbao ( P&O Players I think they were called? ) It was West End Musical type entertainment, not normally my cup of tea but was superbly staged and included a cast who really could sing.

Andy

That may be a good solution post-Brexit if they can offer non-landing mini-cruises with duty-free products. The travellers won't need visas (if it comes to that) but still get the impression of a foreign visit. The French BF website is actually offering such a trip to the UK right now for around 45€. 

http://www.brittany-ferries.fr/vacances/croisieres/angleterre

Ed

Cabin boy yes I had many a good night on her and the entertainment was 1 st class.bf have a long long way to catch up with her ,if they ever do.or maybe the cost would be to much for bf .?because the artists they get on board bf are mostly low quality at the moment ,yes odd one or two are ok but the rest you can forget and I have seen people going to there cabins because they were that bad.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Cabin boy yes I had many a good night on her and the entertainment was 1 st class.bf have a long long way to catch up with her ,if they ever do.or maybe the cost would be to much for bf .?because the artists they get on board bf are mostly low quality at the moment ,yes odd one or two are ok but the rest you can forget and I have seen people going to there cabins because they were that bad.

Haven`t improved then..They were awful last year on the Bretagne and cleared the bar area fairly quickly.yes we left early and went off to sleepytime instead as well.

• Haha 1

It all went rapidly downhill a few years ago (edit: as long ago as 2009 I find with some amazement) with a change of agency as I recall and after that there were some two piece musical acts that could only aspire to the description barely talented. One was so bad one minute was all I could stand. I thought then and still do better nothing at all than this. Oh for the days of Rusty Ford and the Classics! 

Edited by Millsy
  • Haha 1

On 05/11/2018 at 16:51, ac_freeman said:

Andy

Sailed on the Pride of Bilbao end of Feb 2008 - complete with many coach loads of Liverpudlians on a mini-cruise. As it was Force 8 & 9 most of the time I rarely ventured near the bars etc, but whan passing by they were certainly busy. Coming back early May there seemd to be just as many!  Apparently the mini-cruises cost £99 inc coach from Liverpool.

Liverpudlian ladies enjoying some Spanish sun...

BC5E8118-B29A-4E0A-8E9D-2F778827FC11.jpeg