Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Whataboutery

18 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The greatest curse of the modern day is what aboutery.

Set against war, ruthless dictators, religious extremism, cancer, famine and world poverty, "what aboutery" (whatever it is) must be (to quote Edmund Blackadder) "pretty bad"!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Set against war, ruthless dictators, religious extremism, cancer, famine and world poverty, "what aboutery" (whatever it is) must be (to quote Edmund Blackadder) "pretty bad"!

It makes the discussion about certain subjects near on impossible, discuss matters that affect only woman “what about men?” Discuss Muslim matters “what about white men?” Discuss LGBTQI rights “what about straight folks rights?” The list is endless , so yes it’s “pretty bad”!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

You forgot 'reality television' which I'd put in the top three. Ed. 

• Haha 1

So, good examples of that on the forum could be (a) bringing Poole-Cherbourg into a discussion about Portsmouth-St Malo, or (b) bringing Scottish Independence into the middle of a discussion about the Irish Border.  I guess the problem is, one man’s “change of subject” is another man’s “logical extension of an argument”.  So it’s a bit subjective.  But a point well made.  It is frustrating when a thread is heading in a particular direction and then suddenly gets taken in another.

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It is frustrating when a thread is heading in a particular direction and then suddenly gets taken in another.

A bit like travelling with Ryanair then. Ed. 

• Like 1

But surely Neil your initial use of the term in the thread was due to my perceived apathy toward a shipping company transporting pheasants which was more down to ignorance of the subject rather than any attempt to deflect the issue by raising another?

One cannot direct an emotional response toward subject matter one has no knowledge of,  in a similar way to one not having an opinion on a subject one has no knowledge of, hence the use of the term care less rather than care more.

Once a degree of knowledge was gained, Khaines received a more definitive response.

Whataboutery in whichever form it takes has been around since human life began as it's human nature to deflect blame. It has nothing to do with whether any of us are willing to discuss the rights of women in the home or the workplace, children, ethnic minorities, religion, sexual orientation or race as you alluded to in your original posting of the term.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

You see how easily it can be done Jim. You've just gone and confused Belfast with Derry. 😀Ed

But is it Derry or LondonDerry or Londonderry?

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I wouldn't even go there Neil, if I were you, (either figuratively or geographically) until you are 100% sure of the answer. Ed. 

It’s a lovely place to go highly recommend it.

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

But what's the correct name? Ed. 

Now that,surely, has to be the ultimate `Whataboutery` question ???

• Like 1

Whataboutery comes in many forms. I put it in the "I didn't see that coming" box. A counter to any request or comment is so obtuse as to be laughable.

Its really easy to do this whataboutery lark.

Lesson 1 Change the subject (only slightly) in your reply.
Lesson 2 Introduce comment about a serious illness in the family, say Alzheimer's. A good one here is a biblical quote as well.
Lesson 3 Later, when you remember soon after what you really should have said, save that for next time.

What about that then? Remember to practice this skill.

Stu

:D

Edited by straightfeed
fun

On 12/11/2018 at 15:21, neilcvx said:

It’s a lovely place to go highly recommend it.

I went to Derry back in September. It was a quick day trip by train from Cork so I had only about 1.5 hours there. 

Parts of it were nice but I felt uncomfortable in other parts (i.e. the No Surrender bit).

The train journey from Belfast had some great coastal views and when I could see Donegal just across the water it was so clear that so much of Derry's economic hinterland was Donegal. 

Added bonus on the train is you cut across the runway at Ballykelly (where the Ryanair plane accidentally landed). 

• Thanks 1