Sign in to follow this  
Andy

New Terminal for Santander

Oh, what a shame!  Landing in the middle of town is one of the real charms about sailing to Santander.

• Like 1

I think they've been scratching their heads over this for a few years now. There was talk of moving everything along the quay toward TASA and still use the same access although they weren't happy as it would restrict the movements of their aggregate ships. They then looked at land beyond the end of the runway along Juan Carlos Avenue next to ENSA. I wonder if this is what they've settled for?

I get the "freeing up valuable land for development" bit of the rationale.  But the "being able to handle bigger ships" part doesn't make any sense.  For a start, I can't see how there is any practical restriction on size of ship at the current terminal.  And secondly, even if there is such a restriction - if the idea is to be able to accommodate ships that are so huge that the current terminal could not accommodate them, then I can't for the life of me think where those ships are going to dock in Plymouth / Portsmouth / Cork!

What a shame☹️. 5 minute walk from centre of the city to the terminal made Santander port truely unique. Ships docking so near the centre really added to the character of the city.

• Like 1

I suppose in theory it would take traffic out of the city centre , but on my first visit there a few weeks ago looked like a good central spot , although the roads in looked a tad busy . 

So where exactly are they planning to build the new terminal?

CAT, the big logistics group, last year acquired Sintax, which operates on the adjoining site.

[Navigation tip: head more or less south past the current terminal, passing the Barrio Pesquero – do not go ashore for lunch at Los Peñucas. Next is the bulk terminal – cereals, IIRC, but I think traffic is slow these days. The next group of wharves serve the big automotive logistics site. This used to host two companies, CAT – one of the big names in logistics – and Sintax, a Spanish co. Last year CAT acquired Sintax and earlier this month they announced that they were going to rationalise their Santander operation.

So does this liberate space for a mythical mega-ferry terminal?

Or are they proposing a site even further inbound, alongside the marina and the airport? Has the port of Santander been taken over secretly by a company which builds or operates dredgers? Or maybe by the authorities in Bilbao who want to vanquish a competitor?

Aaaaarrggh

Why would they move when they've just rebuild the linkspan?  Could they turn the car lanes around and use the old LD linkspan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solo said:

Why would they move when they've just rebuild the linkspan?  Could they turn the car lanes around and use the old LD linkspan.

Wasn't that last done back in 2003, prior to the arrival of the Pont-Aven? Ridiculous just how fast time flies by! 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Wasn't that last done back in 2003, prior to the arrival of the Pont-Aven? Ridiculous just how fast time flies by! 

No, it was done in the last couple of years, I think before BDS started going there.

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Good point.  Unless they can just move the new linkspan to the new terminal.

I wonder if BF will loose any mini cruise business from it ? To be honest it makes the route more appealing to me driving out of Santander to the motorway isn’t too bad but I would rather not have to do it.

Most people on ferries are not mini cruise passengers,so in my mind most people will like the idea of pulling out of the port and onto the motorway system.for first timers it can be a bit of a nerve racking experience with all of the bends etc before you get onto the main routes.so to me it sounds good but I know including me who like to wander around santander to kill a few hours.i have now travelled on this route 20/30 times and are used to the roads around santander.in the long run it is better for all moving the ferry port away from the busy centre.

• Like 1

Very sensible perspective nodwad.

Only question - with Santander and Bilbao both essentially offering the same out-of-town industrial-complex-next-to-the-motorway dumping point, what is then to choose between the ports?

At the moment, Bilbao and Santander serve different purposes and have different characters.  If Santander just becomes “Bilbao a few miles west”, what is the point of BF continuing to operate to both ports?

The proposed new terminal wont be too far from the existing one, a 5 minute walk, there will still be ample opportunity to saunter into the centre and just as today, the new building and quay will also accommodate cruise ships.

If you take a look at google maps, it's the area with two of the three cream roofed warehouses, opposite Barrio Pesquero and Calle Muelles de Maliano. Both vehicle exits, motorway and city, will more or less remain the same.

There will also be vast improvements made to the railway station and the lines leading to port and auto hub, there are even ongoing talks with Aena about an airport rail link once Feve is phased out.

It's all part of the huge investment being made right along Spain's northern coast. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gareth said:

Very sensible perspective nodwad.

Only question - with Santander and Bilbao both essentially offering the same out-of-town industrial-complex-next-to-the-motorway dumping point, what is then to choose between the ports?

At the moment, Bilbao and Santander serve different purposes and have different characters.  If Santander just becomes “Bilbao a few miles west”, what is the point of BF continuing to operate to both ports?

I know the bibao ferry port is a nightmare to be at any length of time.stuck in the middle of nowhere.no outlook at all apart from tipper trucks tearing along the port road ,then when it rains it makes the place better still,mind you can always pop into the so called bar and cafe which are nothing more than a couple of porta cabins bolted together.just hope the new place in santander will be a lot better than that place.gareth had a point why have two ferry ports that close together I would of thought one ferry port could handle the traffic with no problems at all.

They have the 2 ports for the same reason they have Le Havre and perhaps Cherbourg, to keep the opposition out, or at least make it difficult to start up.

We like the terminal where it is in Santander, it's about the only place you can check in and spend the day going around the city.

15 hours ago, jonno said:

The proposed new terminal wont be too far from the existing one, a 5 minute walk, there will still be ample opportunity to saunter into the centre and just as today, the new building and quay will also accommodate cruise ships.

If you take a look at google maps, it's the area with two of the three cream roofed warehouses, opposite Barrio Pesquero and Calle Muelles de Maliano. Both vehicle exits, motorway and city, will more or less remain the same.

There will also be vast improvements made to the railway station and the lines leading to port and auto hub, there are even ongoing talks with Aena about an airport rail link once Feve is phased out.

It's all part of the huge investment being made right along Spain's northern coast. 

As much as I love the location of the current terminal, and depending on how the space gets used, I daresay there is potential to enhance the experience. A large public area on the seafront adjacent to the terminal could make for a fantastic first impression of the city, both the view as you sail past and on foot leaving the terminal. Obviously that's wildly optimistic - my gut feeling is Commerical value of the land will win out.

Jonno, thanks for the directions to the new location.

So we will disembark yards from seafood heaven!

Wonderful. 

Next item on the agenda: check nearby hotels.