Sign in to follow this  
rogerpatenall

New Border control technology

I travelled through St Pancras this weekend and the UK Border guys had new technology. It is like a mobile card reader. They just swiped the digits from the long number on the bottom of the passport page, and the approval was almost instantaneous. Unfortunately the French, just a few yards further on were still using the old scanners, so we had to wait for the bunching to clear.

But potentially, this could make a big difference at Portsmouth. Does anyone have any knowledge of any changes in the pipeline?

On the other hand, double the speed, and they will probably only man half the kiosks . . .

• Like 3

This sounds good..Knowing Britain, maybe too good. It certainly would help Portsmouth...but..the cynic in me can`t help but feel that the Treasury will veto buying them, enmass, due to the cost involved. Then they would require a cost benefit analysis to see exactly how many Border Force officers, nationally, they could get rid of and so it goes on..

By the time it gets finally rolled out it will be years out of date and cost twice as much as it does now. 

I`d have it installed at every Border post tomorrow and damn the cost...

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rogerpatenall said:

I travelled through St Pancras this weekend and the UK Border guys had new technology. It is like a mobile card reader

If that was outbound, it was probably just an extra security check which triggers on specific people. The problem with incoming UK and Europe borders is that they now search a number of databases as well as checking the photo. If they did the database searches based on advance information and just did the photo check at the border it could be a lot faster. It is very likely that Europe will have the Esta type of preapproval in future and that could make it quicker.

The ones leaving St P are exit checks which are conducted by a third party (Mitie?) to fulfil the obligations of checking outgoing passengers. The inbound checks at places, such as Portsmouth, which are done by the UK Border Force are somewhat more thorough and involve checking the eligibility of an individual to enter the country/criminal watchlists etc. For visa holders this also includes a biometric check of their fingerprint against what was recorded when they applied for a visa.

8 hours ago, Khaines said:

Lifted from the Mail this morning, might be of interest.

91835036-2431-4083-BF21-D8D45E1D6585.jpeg

Interesting that, Khaines. When I arrived in Portsmouth early on Saturday morning there was an immigration official walking round the three open lanes as we queued, with a torch, and he specifically asked me to open the boot of my car as the rear windows are heavily tinted and it's impossible to see inside. We have the same problem when the Cabin-kids are strapped into their seats and have to open the sliding doors so they can be identified. I thought it was quite reassuring that they were taking the trouble to check but as I came in from Ouistreham maybe that makes sense. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aphrodite said:

They have been doing this in Plymouth for the last five years.   I suspect it reads the chip rather then the numbers. 

The 'exit check' swiping is reading the machine readable text at the bottom of the passport page which will give name, passport number, date of birth, nationality etc. The chip has the same data, but also stored biometrics for facial image - that's how the e-gates at airports compare what's expected on the chip against what's in front of you (your face can change shape, but certain features will always be in the same proportion). If you don't need the biometrics, then swiping the text will do.

Notably, newer European passports also encode the owner's fingerprint on the chip - this is a requirement for Schengen countries.

Hope the Schengen Fingerprint requirement/reading system works better than my I pad and I phone, my fingerprint seems to change depending on how much manual work (DIY) I have been doing, the remembered print never lasts longer than a week. 

Edited by alleeganger10
Typo

15 hours ago, alleeganger10 said:

Hope the Schengen Fingerprint requirement/reading system works better than my I pad and I phone, my fingerprint seems to change depending on how much manual work (DIY) I have been doing, the remembered print never lasts longer than a week. 

At least you can use your nipple or the tip of your nose to unlock your iPhone.