Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Prices in France variations.

Seeing as the France is expensive thing comes up I thought I would do a quick review of our two french holidays this year Saint Emilion v Plerin.

For a start we stayed in two very different types of accommodation so price comparisons for that aren’t that fare but we payed about €350 for a 1 bedroom Gite in Plerin and about €800 for 2 weeks for a 1 bed caravan in a lovely campsite on the outskirts of Saint Emilion.

Eating out and drink, well as you would expect drinks in a small town in Brittany were cheap €1.20 for a glass of wine in the Tabac and €9 for a pizza at the village restaurant, veg and fruit at the market and supermarket were expensive but we expected that.

Saint Emilion eating out in Saint Emilion itself was very expensive cheapest meal was about €20 for a main course of dubious quality wine was about €4, the campsite had a happy hour which was €3 for wine otherwise €6! a glass, but the trips to the chateaus were free and lots of tasters were had, plus breakfast was included with our caravan, was a good campsite , evening meals were hit and miss  about €13 for a main €5 for a starter, we saved money by getting the train to Libourne and therefore off the tourist trap.

The other place we visited was Arcachon , Bordeaux by pass at rush hour !!!! not for the faint hearted but Arcachon was nice and we found a decent Breton creperie €20 for cider,main and desert.

Traveling to Saint Emilion we went down the centre of France (I’m rubbish with road numbers) and home via the coast , the coast road won hands down.

My thoughts stay away from tourist traps like Saint Emilion if you want value for money go to them for the experience once you’ve saved enough to enjoy them, go to sleepy Breton backwaters if you want good value for money, and  my apologies to the lovely restaurant in Libourne that forgot to add the bottle of champagne to my bill I never realised until I got to Saint Malo.

C374A509-FE76-4655-968B-A5CAFB2F6D83.thumb.jpeg.ad2699d57d28a8affa833c9703a3ccfe.jpeg88E7D202-BAE3-4AD4-89D8-786E6FB1B554.thumb.jpeg.6100daf5e8250123ce49ddba0dee119d.jpeg1B013899-407D-469E-9A5A-0D1F08E27F33.thumb.jpeg.b67ed5e4fef2b4a1cc7466f31de7eebf.jpeg0DFD06B3-BEDB-4D4D-B490-27BDDF3D3855.thumb.jpeg.0cf0090bdc10f90c146aa25991fe5148.jpeg22B78B9F-11CC-4D8F-94F9-871CC46352D9.thumb.jpeg.b0a9983254572c46a698c32a38e9de32.jpeg

• Like 3

Looking at that last photo Neil, it struck me that it's about time someone invented a child-friendly roof-rack. 😀 Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

Great report Neil.  (I am trying to work out what the dish in the penultimate photo actually is.....!)

I would take a guess at duck served with figs and walnuts and perhaps a fois-gras ice-cream but may be totally wrong. Ed

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Great report Neil.  (I am trying to work out what the dish in the penultimate photo actually is.....!)

Great salad at La Dentelerie in Libourne , Duck,rocket,goats cheese,walnut and fig with melon sorbet , @Cabin-boy that was at the High school ,A09A01A1-0624-433B-AC75-3B1B8C0C3E59.thumb.jpeg.2ba76305e3ca1865fcfc4c04269bd13a.jpeg1E5FE5D6-A1D5-4BE4-906E-E321886D4DF6.thumb.jpeg.6390459f6632a5578590da6f79239b32.jpegthe high school of wine at Montagne well worth a visit.

Edited by neilcvx
  • Thanks 1

The round 'white stuff' is goats' cheese. The white stuff attached to the duck will most likely be the fat. It looks like it has been dry-cured given the colour. Ed. 

I'm sure that visiting France profonde does deliver better value for money at local restaurants. But many of us visiting France are actually interested in the various tourist areas and pay the price accordingly. In the Loire valley earlier this year we felt we were getting ripped off a bit. OK, you have to accept that up to a point but sometimes they seem to overdo it.

Greece has a lot of attractions in terms of the Peloponnese area but prices don't seem to be ramped up in proximity to them and the locals are a lot more welcoming.

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The round 'white stuff' is goats' cheese. The white stuff attached to the duck will most likely be the fat. It looks like it has been dry-cured given the colour. Ed. 

815056E6-54EC-4817-9B09-4A5284F8C32D.thumb.jpeg.147a3747db658a2e6254de8e2071b5de.jpeg

I never tried this looks like the negative of the duck on the plate, I never actually had Foie grass mostly due to price and not morals or taste.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I'm sure that visiting France profonde does deliver better value for money at local restaurants. But many of us visiting France are actually interested in the various tourist areas and pay the price accordingly. In the Loire valley earlier this year we felt we were getting ripped off a bit. OK, you have to accept that up to a point but sometimes they seem to overdo it.

Greece has a lot of attractions in terms of the Peloponnese area but prices don't seem to be ramped up in proximity to them and the locals are a lot more welcoming.

When we went back to the restaurant in Libourne for the second time we were treated like old friends in general we found nearly everybody welcoming in Libourne and Saint Emilion, especially the lady at the pharmacy when I had a severe headache and was confused with the drug choice, the staff at the Boulangerie in Plerin were lovely as well I got a guided tour when they caught me peaking round the corner.

I would say the tourist information office at Saint Emilion is probably the best one I’ve ever been to anywhere friendly staff, free loans of guide books and long opening hours.

Edited by neilcvx

On 12/11/2018 at 19:43, neilcvx said:

88E7D202-BAE3-4AD4-89D8-786E6FB1B554.thumb.jpeg.6100daf5e8250123ce49ddba0dee119d.jpeg

Le Bar Chez Rollais is the oldest and probably the best wine bar in saint-Brieuc. It has been owned by the same family since 1912. A regular haunt for me and my brothers when we return home. Our great grand father would go there on market days back in the 1920s...

• Like 1

On 15/11/2018 at 08:43, crechbleiz said:

Le Bar Chez Rollais is the oldest and probably the best wine bar in saint-Brieuc. It has been owned by the same family since 1912. A regular haunt for me and my brothers when we return home. Our great grand father would go there on market days back in the 1920s...

Was a very hilly cycle from Plerin to there, the “ 3 valleys “ lived up to its name.