Sign in to follow this  
Aphrodite

BF Contact for a ship visit

If u ask st a terminal or at the information place onboard then they will ask the bridge if u can but it depends on wether and stuff like that

Email customer services. They may give you the email of the person who tends to coordinate visits. It's definitely possible.

• Like 1

Highly unlikely you will get a ship visit while the ship is on turnaround due to security reasons. You may be able to get a visit of the bridge if you are a passenger though.

On 13/11/2018 at 18:05, TonyMWeaver said:

Highly unlikely you will get a ship visit while the ship is on turnaround due to security reasons. You may be able to get a visit of the bridge if you are a passenger though.

Quite the opposite, Tony

• Like 1

It all depends on who and how you ask. The bottom line people need to remember though is that BF ships in port are a) in a secure area, b) turning around as part of a commercial operation in an active port and c) not a tourist attraction.

Jim is right, it would just be a distraction at a busy time. Same can apply on the crossing itself as there is usually a lot going on in the Channel. Bridge visits are more common on cruise ships where they are commonly offered to limited numbers of passengers.

I assume you are thinking of the CF being in Plymouth all day today.

She has an inspection I believe, but is alongside most the day. You can only ask one of the Duty Managers at the port - but I wouldn't hold your breath, unless you could tag along with another pre-planned group visit...

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Jim is right, it would just be a distraction at a busy time. Same can apply on the crossing itself as there is usually a lot going on in the Channel. Bridge visits are more common on cruise ships where they are commonly offered to limited numbers of passengers.

Or, as was the case on our last cruise, they'd sell you a behind the scenes tour for just 85 quid per person!

I would imagine that all such visits, pre planned by the company, or more casually arranged at sea, would have to be with the explicit agreement/permission of the Master. The at sea bit, would also be, as long as the Officer of the Watch also agreed, subject to workload. I always used to ask at the pursers office, usually in bad French, which always rewarded me with a sympathetic smile for my efforts and invariably a visit for me and kids to the `Passerelle`...xD

46 minutes ago, Jim said:

Or, as was the case on our last cruise, they'd sell you a behind the scenes tour for just 85 quid per person!

Sounds like the same one I was on Jim... They were trying to sell ice to the Eskimos when we went up the inside passage 😉

On Bretagne a couple of years ago I didn't even have to pay. I just opened a door to a stairwell up on deck nine (no indications that it was for crew only), wandered down the stairs (surprised at the slightly sparten decoration) and found myself in the preparation area at the back of the deck 8 cafe. 😀 Ed. 

• Haha 2

Thanks for all the comments, tips and advice.  I'll drop the company an email.  This would be a formal visit for the engineering institute I am member of, the Institution of Engineering and Technology. 

On 16/11/2018 at 09:57, cvabishop said:

Bridge visits are more common on cruise ships where they are commonly offered to limited numbers of passengers.

Who cough up handsomely for the opportunity. That’s said I’ve done it, not once but twice on Norwegian Jade and Celebrity Silhouette, although the latter also included going to the engine control room.

19 hours ago, Seashore said:

Who cough up handsomely for the opportunity. That’s said I’ve done it, not once but twice on Norwegian Jade and Celebrity Silhouette, although the latter also included going to the engine control room.

Maybe a new revenue stream for BF??

15 minutes ago, Paully said:

Maybe a new revenue stream for BF??

Retrograde step if they do that.  Bridge visits are PR currency for BF, not something they should be charging for.  As soon as it becomes something you can buy, BF loses control of its discretion over who to say yes to and who to say no to.  The last thing BF needs is for this to become something customers come to “expect” on grounds that they can pay for it.  Not least because of the security risks.

• Like 1

There aren't really any real security risks from having passengers on the bridge, but troups of them shuffling through having paid for the honour must surely be a distraction you don't really want too often whilst crossing the Channel. I think BF have it about right, occasional groups get up there and the odd passenger who is favourably looked upon.

On 06/12/2018 at 00:16, hhvferry said:

There aren't really any real security risks from having passengers on the bridge, but troups of them shuffling through having paid for the honour must surely be a distraction you don't really want too often whilst crossing the Channel.

Whilst the OOW tries their best not to be caught picking their nose or scratching their arse at the wrong time....

In one company it was scary to think how we used to shuffle people round a certain area of the bridge, practically inviting them to lean and brush against all manner of switches that would happily play merry hell with doors and ventilation onboard if one were to be knocked accidentally.