Sign in to follow this  
jonno

French Road Blockades - Gilets Jaunes

For those who were familiar with a famous Normandy landmark, The Cow Roundabout in Rouen, there is bad news. Whilst the roundabout is still there the cows are no longer. They were set fire to in the recent protests and have burnt out.

The authorities over here are taking very seriously the risk of further unprecedented violence tomorrow, primarily in Paris but in other large towns and cities too. Our local prefect has this evening banned, for the whole weekend, sales of fireworks, gas cylinders, flammable liquids, acids and cleaning products and bottled alcohol. Anything that can be used as a weapon, thrown or ignited, is forbidden as well as the transport of such products. For the moment, to the best of my knowledge, there has been no significant violence in Angers or the other local towns but they are clearly anticipating the risk of the problems spreading. President Macron is due to speak to the nation early next week but nobody has any idea what he might be able to offer as a solution to the crisis other than his resignation. 

https://angers.maville.com/actu/actudet_-anjou.-le-transport-et-la-vente-d-alcool-et-de-produits-chimiques-interdits_une-3596015_actu.Htm

As an aside, the fuel shortages here have now ended and almost all the stations are being supplied normally. I don't know if that's also true in Brittany. And the road hauliers have called off their strike which should make life a bit easier next week.

Ed

• Thanks 2

Late last night the prefect backtracked on the alcohol rules. Presumably he didn't think he'd make it through the weekend without a stiff drink himself so now you are simply forbidden from drinking outside, except at Christmas markets and within marked areas (outside bar terraces etc).

Certain elements of the French press have been speculating on the ultimate aim of the Yellow Jacket movement (rather than the ultra-violent mob) and the idea of overthrowing the government has been suggested. It looks like that new airport down in St Helena might come in handy after all if the presidential jet needs to make a sudden trip south. 😀

Ed. 

There is quite a lot of `doctored` photos on `Gilet Jaunes` facebook site..most uncomplimentary and some distasteful tbh..But they did have a live You Tube feed this morning from a roadblock in Calais, which appeared civilised and even an interview with a senior Police Officer from Police National who was happy to talk to them..Not a heavy Police presence but didnt look at though it was needed..reassuring..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Late last night the prefect backtracked on the alcohol rules. Presumably he didn't think he'd make it through the weekend without a stiff drink himself so now you are simply forbidden from drinking outside, except at Christmas markets and within marked areas (outside bar terraces etc).

Certain elements of the French press have been speculating on the ultimate aim of the Yellow Jacket movement (rather than the ultra-violent mob) and the idea of overthrowing the government has been suggested. It looks like that new airport down in St Helena might come in handy after all if the presidential jet needs to make a sudden trip south. 😀

Ed. 

Yes what are their objectives now. They have been given basically all that they have demanded. Their aim now, seems solely to overthrow a democratically elected government.

4 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

Yes what are their objectives now. They have been given basically all that they have demanded. Their aim now, seems solely to overthrow a democratically elected government.

I agree that the only way to unseat a Government is through the ballot box, never mob rule..If that works only a lunatic would ever want the job again. Certainly in France it would be impossible to rule. The problem, as I see it from UK, is that there is no unified leadership. No single goals (achievable or not), no specific persons to negotiate with. This is unprecedented within Europe in living memory. Interesting to see what Macron comes up with next week, but it needs to be good.

• Like 1

Of course a mob can never overthrow any elected leader all they can do is force another election by expressing their dissatisfaction with the current one, I agree though there doesn’t seem to be anything Macron can do to help himself now, it reminds me of the poll tax riots only that was a single issue protest.

Seems to me that the fundamental values of democracy are being challenged in France right now, and the French natural tendency to tolerate lawlessness as a means of making a point is being tested at the extremes.  How France deals with this could have deep and long-lasting implications.  Here’s hoping that wise heads prevail.

45 minutes ago, Paully said:

I agree that the only way to unseat a Government is through the ballot box, never mob rule..If that works only a lunatic would ever want the job again. Certainly in France it would be impossible to rule. The problem, as I see it from UK, is that there is no unified leadership. No single goals (achievable or not), no specific persons to negotiate with. This is unprecedented within Europe in living memory. Interesting to see what Macron comes up with next week, but it needs to be good.

The problem with western politics at the moment (and one that could not have been exemplified more strikingly by the current and former UK Prime Ministers) is: that every leader comes to the stage pledging an understanding of the public’s disaffection with politics, and then proceeds to pursue courses of conduct and action that demonstrate no such understanding of whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Seems to me that the fundamental values of democracy are being challenged in France right now, and the French natural tendency to tolerate lawlessness as a means of making a point is being tested at the extremes.  How France deals with this could have deep and long-lasting implications.  Here’s hoping that wise heads prevail.

I think that the President is hoping that public opinion will turn his way.He's hoping the public will turn against the extremists and support moderation.

• Like 1

Macron put together his party in a matter of months and managed to win. So the logical solution would be for the Yellow Jackets to put their money and fervour where their mouths are and set up their own party for next May's EU elections and prove their point. If they win a resounding victory and Macron's party is crushed then he will have to stand down. Until he addresses the nation on Monday we won't know much more but it'll have to be pretty generous if he's to convince them. Like offering an in/out EU referendum for example. Ed. 

One of the main problems I think just now is career politicians and politicians just wiping their hands of it all and walking away from it all to become multi millionaires on the back of it all, which breeds contempt and distrust of all politicians.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Macron put together his party in a matter of months and managed to win. So the logical solution would be for the Yellow Jackets to put their money and fervour where their mouths are and set up their own party for next May's EU elections and prove their point. If they win a resounding victory and Macron's party is crushed then he will have to stand down. Until he addresses the nation on Monday we won't know much more but it'll have to be pretty generous if he's to convince them. Like offering an in/out EU referendum for example. Ed. 

Macron won't make the same mistake that Cameron made.(ie having a referendum without thinking about the consequences)The French public are getting fed up with the blockades and inconvenience and the blockades seem to be made up of extremists who have profited from the original protests. Extremism  has it's nasty way of doing things .I'm sure  a peaceful solution will be found. 

Edited by imprimerie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I hadn’t realised the students were protesting as well.

Ostensibly for a totally different reason but in the full knowledge that it would be likely to get widespread coverage and attract hardline elements who are not, and probably never were, students at the high schools. Ed. 

1 hour ago, imprimerie said:

Macron won't make the same mistake that Cameron made.(ie having a referendum without thinking about the consequences)The French public are getting fed up with the blockades and inconvenience and the blockades seem to be made up of extremists who have profited from the original protests. Extremism  has it's nasty way of doing things .I'm sure  a peaceful solution will be found. 

I hope so too. What do you think the president will offer on Monday (assuming that's when he speaks) to appease the protesters? Ed. 

26 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I hope so too. What do you think the president will offer on Monday (assuming that's when he speaks) to appease the protesters? Ed. 

I think he will explain to the French public what he has already offered. That is cancelling the tax on petrol and diesel and not bringing in a much stiffer Auto Control(MOT).I doubt if the present protesters will listen to anything.All they want is trouble and ..............................who knows.

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

The prime minister has, I believe, just said (and I only caught the end of his speech) that is now up to Macron to offer something to diffuse the crisis. Ed. 

Let’s all work together to create a solution or no it’s all his fault 🙁

Whatever he comes up with it will be an offer directed at the Yellow Jackets, most of whom are peaceful and motivated by their conviction that his policies are unfair. Unfortunately, as is so often the case, their movement has been hijacked by extremist elements and there is no way to stop them. Today the situation in Paris has been much less chaotic than last weekend with better preparation and more resources. Preventive arrests, confiscation of masks/goggles/eye drops, vehicle searches at toll booths at the motorway exits and the use of dogs and horses to keep the yobs moving seems to have worked. I personally think the police have done a great job in very difficult circumstances and have difficulty understanding how the same people who thanked the security forces after the 2015 terrorist attacks now believe it's acceptable to insult and attack them. Ed. 

• Like 2

Its nice change to see other countries taking issue with their unpopular leader a nice distraction from Maybots mess.

Not when you consider the levels of violence involved and the numbers of people injured.

The Brexit situation may be horrible but the population isn't rioting in the streets so I know which country I would prefer to be in.

• Like 1