Sign in to follow this  
jonno

French road blockades

44 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Not when you consider the levels of violence involved and the numbers of people injured.

The Brexit situation may be horrible but the population isn't rioting in the streets so I know which country I would prefer to be in.

Yes my point may have come across wrongly although I suspect it’s very small pockets  of violence relatively speaking, it’s the traders in Paris and others whose livelihood are affected that I feel sorry for much the same as I feel sorry for the business affected here by the mess we are in, it certainly wouldn’t stop me travelling to France.

President Macron has just addressed the nation and announced 4 principal measures to quell the protests. As I understood them, they are :

A 100€ increase in the minimum monthly wage (which I think equates to about 7% but will need to check that) 

All overtime hours paid will not be subject to tax

An end of year bonus can be paid and will not be subject to tax or employer's social contributions 

The cancellation of specific taxes (recently introduced) levied on pensions for those receiving less than 2,000€ per month

In addition to that, he wants more dialogue with the people and to encourage the population to get involved in building a better France while, at the same time (his catchphrase), caring about the environment for the next generation. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

56 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

President Macron has just addressed the nation and announced 4 principal measures to quell the protests. As I understood them, they are :

A 100€ increase in the minimum monthly wage (which I think equates to about 7% but will need to check that) 

All overtime hours paid will not be subject to tax

An end of year bonus can be paid and will not be subject to tax or employer's social contributions 

The cancellation of specific taxes (recently introduced) levied on pensions for those receiving less than 2,000€ per month

In addition to that, he wants more dialogue with the people and to encourage the population to get involved in building a better France while, at the same time (his catchphrase), caring about the environment for the next generation. Ed. 

So who pays for it all?

25 minutes ago, Millsy said:

l'arbre d'argent magique francaise naturellement

But we're going to stop feeding the magic tree at some point.

About 10b Euro so far, but he hasn't worked out how they are going to pay for it... Blinding makes TM look genius.

On a serious note he's a busted flush from here on in. His attempts at reform, economic and otherwise, are gone forever. The other side of the coin though is another arrogant out of touch politician has been skewered..maybe some of the others might start to listen..

Overtime hours not taxed? So basically spending more while constraining the tax base. Good luck to whoever comes next then...if anybody is stupid enough to want the job!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Millsy said:

Overtime hours not taxed? So basically spending more while constraining the tax base. Good luck to whoever comes next then...if anybody is stupid enough to want the job!

All he can be sure of is that the next person in the chair won't be him. And therefore he's happy to let them deal with the fallout. He tried to reform France and failed, leading to the conclusion that it's an impossible job. One report suggests Sarkozy is considering coming out of retirement to deal with the mess and another said that Hollande might put his name forward again. If that's the best France has to offer then we're doomed. Ed. 

• Like 1

I’m doing all I can to help the average working man, said Macron from behind his gold desk in his gold room, I remember seeing a photo in Guilvinec a few years ago it was of Sarkozy standing talking to a Breton fisherman about the fuel price rises years ago in the background there was a burning trawler they had set alight in protest, I’m no Sarkozy fan but that seems a bit more of a genuine discussion.

Edited by neilcvx

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

gold desk

Yes, everyone here spotted the desk straight away. It rather distracted them all from what he was actually saying. Ed. 

6 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes, everyone here spotted the desk straight away. It rather distracted them all from what he was actually saying. Ed. 

Good politicians connect with people and show empathy whether they mean it or not is another question sometimes it’s not just about your actions it’s about how you portray them to the electorate.

• Like 1

Just read that in Egypt the government has banned the sale of yellow vests, in order to thwart the possibility of copycat protests.

That’s the way to fix the problem !

It's either a stroke of genius or a serious underestimation of Egyptian ingenuity. Did they also ban the rental of your yellow jacket to someone else (although that may well be banned under Islamic law - I'm sure there's something about not making profits from other people) or the wearing of the yellow jacket you bought before the ban? I'm not sure they've thought this through fully. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

Going to start carrying my gilet jaune on the dashboard in the future..Never know where is all going to kick off these days😂

The tragic shooting in Strasbourg last might well spell the end of the Yellow Jacket movement for a while. If President Macron believes a further attack is likely (or uses it as a pretext) then he can place France in a state of emergency which will outlaw certain activities, including unauthorised protests, and give the police extra powers to suppress such movements. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's either a stroke of genius or a serious underestimation of Egyptian ingenuity. Did they also ban the rental of your yellow jacket to someone else (although that may well be banned under Islamic law - I'm sure there's something about not making profits from other people) or the wearing of the yellow jacket you bought before the ban? I'm not sure they've thought this through fully. Ed. 

In order to travel legally in Spain, Portugal and France I carry in each of our cars sufficient yellow jackets for each passenger to have one if we break down. That’s six in the Alhambra and four in the Fabia.