Sign in to follow this  
jonno

French road blockades

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Best bit?  I agree with vast amounts of what you post, Paully, but I have to say you have a strange idea of fun!  I feel sorry for those (including Ed and his family) who are living in France at the moment. 😉

You`ve read me wrong Gareth...I was being ironic, that all..There isnt an emoji to convey that though

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Fair enough - thanks Paully.  I was just concerned you had made Ed sad!

Oh I do hope not, lot of respect for him and his sense of humour is a bit similar to mine so maybe that`s why I wrote it in that vein..But thanks for flagging it up, gave me a chance to explain myself..No offence meant to anyone 👍

I clicked sad because I think the police should be the one group that President Macron ought to value and support at the moment. They have done a great job in very difficult circumstances and with no directly-attributable deaths which in itself is a miracle given the levels of violence they have been exposed to. Ed. 

• Like 1

In addition to the toll booth that was burned down today, the one in Narbonne has been attacked and burned twice in the last fortnight. The Vinci (motorway operating company) office alongside the tolls was also attacked, ransacked and partially burned down along with around 30 vehicles. Vinci and the other motorway operators, have said that someone will have to pay for the damage. 

Since the Yellow Jackets have been protesting a number of motorway barriers have been blocked in the open position. Drivers have been taking advantage of the protests to drive on the motorways to save time on their journeys believing thay will have nothing to pay. It was announced yesterday that the monitoring cameras at each gate have been noting plate numbers and drivers can expect to receive a bill in the post for the trips they have made. Whether they can legally reclaim the money fom people who refuse to pay, I don't know, but there are likely to be some very angry people over the next few weeks. Ed

The Yellow Lemmings are out again this weekend but wandering aimlessly around Paris, trying to outwit the Police by taking narrow streets and changing rapidly their route. They are also blocking the border crossings with Spain, Italy and Germany in various places. There don't seem to have been any arrests or clashes yet today but they did manage to kill a tenth person last night in a road accident. Ed. 

• Thanks 1

The situation turned violent (again) on the Champs Elysee in Paris this evening with protesters (or thugs pretending to be protesters) attacking three motorcycle policemen. One of them was forced to draw his service weapon in self defence. ☹️ Here is the video. 

Ed

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Some depressing images there.

You're not wrong. I have the impression, and I'd be interested to see if Chris in Roscoff and others like Imprimerie concur, that this has been a Chrsitmas period unlike any other in France (certainly in the 19 years I've been living here). Nobody seems to be really in the mood for celebrating with everything that's been going on. The comments I've been hearing in the last couple of weeks since President Macron made his speech have predominently been that enough is enough. While the Yellow Cretins might have had widespread public support at the start, their lack of organisation, factional nature and tendancy to attract hardline elements have turned many people against them. These people, who want to go to work, shop for presents and enjoy the festive season are now less angry with Macron's tax policies than with his government's refusal, or lack of determination, to crush the protests. However that has changed in the last week with the dismantling of many barricades but I fear it's too little, too late and the financial impact on many sectors will be felt for years to come. Ed

Kitty Muggeridge's well known quip about Frosty could well be applied to Macron - and a number of current political nonentities I could mention  - he has 'risen without trace'. They simply aren't equipped by education (too often they do PPE or something similar aka 'Reading the Papers') or  more particularly experience to cope with the responsibilities they so eagerly seem to want to embrace. He panicked - the one thing you simply must not do in politics.

• Like 2

Having just driven down from St Malo to Nantes, via Rennes and Vannes to enjoy a wander around in the bright sunshine and a couple of crepes for lunch, I can confirm that every fixed speed camera we passed is out of action. Most of them have been burned and the rest are bagged or sprayed with paint. However the average speed cameras I mentioned before between St Malo and Rennes do still seem to be intact as they are too high up to be easily got at. Ed. 

Although what’s happening down here will be of little interest to most at this time of the year, it seems to have pretty much ‘died a death’.

I had to get to Avignon TGV early-ish this morning and was concerned about possible problems. Despite setting off quite early ....... nothing !

There’s the occasional piece in the local rag about how the ‘Gilets Jaunes’ are going to organise themselves in to a national movement, etc, etc. However, the Unions will be less than enthusiastic about any such move - it would obviously dilute their influence.

Millsy ....... Rightly or wrongly, I rather feel that Macron & his government decided quite early on to just allow this whole business to burn itself out (no pun intended).  It pretty much has, at least down here.

Macron said the other day in his address to the French nation (and here, I paraphrase) “You can’t work less and earn more, nor can you pay less tax and expect infrastructure improvements to be maintained and / or continue”.  Happy to be corrected on his precise words, but the gist of it was just that.

• Like 1

Very quiet down here in Manche. Some of the GJ's are still out at the Leclerc roundabout in Coutances and have put tents up and built themelves a little shack but it's quite good-natured. Nobody has attacked Treacle Mine Road yet.

Petrol prices are high thougn and if you are coming over for a few days it's worth tanking up for the trip.

• Like 1

The inevitable protests in Paris turned violent again this afternoon with fighting breaking out on a footbridge over the Seine as the Yellow Jackets apparently tried to break into the Musee d'Orsay. They also attacked the gate and security barrier at the entrance to the ministry where the government spokesman works, got inside and vandalised a couple of vehicles while the minister was moved to safety. A restaurant-boat on the Seine was also set alight. Ed

Indeed. And the road safety lobby is up in arms as it would appear the number of speeding offences recorded in December went up by (I think) 20%. Some cameras are still logging speeds even though the camera lenses have been obscured. This data is collected nationwide and sent to Rennes for processing and from where the fines are issued. The road death figures which did appear to be going down, after a strange blip in late summer, will probably reveal the truth but I don't know when they'll be released. The reason for the vandalism is due to the speed limit reduction last July with protesters thinking it's just another stealth tax. Ed. 

From my observations down here, the % of cameras vandalised is probably closer to 100% !  Its quite hard to imagine how something that has been paint-sprayed, JCB’d and then set on fire, could still be functioning !

Having said that, (whether I like it or not, and I don’t) my speed behaviour has been modified to suit the new limit.  Most others seem to comply as well.  Whether it reduces the death toll remains to be seen.

12 hours ago, Gardian said:

From my observations down here, the % of cameras vandalised is probably closer to 100% !  Its quite hard to imagine how something that has been paint-sprayed, JCB’d and then set on fire, could still be functioning !

Having said that, (whether I like it or not, and I don’t) my speed behaviour has been modified to suit the new limit.  Most others seem to comply as well.  Whether it reduces the death toll remains to be seen.

Given the recent protests and the cultural links to the elephant in the room, I would imagine the French government will find it very tricky to make a change in the death statistics.

Angers, here in the Loire Valley, is battening down the hatches for an expected large-scale protest tomorrow. Since the movement began in Mid-November it has seen regular protests but no violence (or at least, none has been reported). The prefect has formally forbade any groups from meeting tomorrow as they did not give the required three days' notice but that is not a guarantee of calm so the banks are busy boarding up their windows just in case. Ed, 

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Angers, here in the Loire Valley, is battening down the hatches for an expected large-scale protest tomorrow. Since the movement began in Mid-November it has seen regular protests but no violence (or at least, none has been reported). The prefect has formally forbade any groups from meeting tomorrow as they did not give the required three days' notice but that is not a guarantee of calm so the banks are busy boarding up their windows just in case. Ed, 

Take care, keep safe

• Like 1