Sign in to follow this  
straightfeed

Flybe up for sale

Should be able to get it for £20m or less.
Would make a great - "Fly-Cruise-Drive" deal.

Could create a nice monopoly here in the West country. No money yet from UK gov for a rail line in the sea at Dawlish!

Most people how ask about our trips to France ask if we fly. When we tell them we use the Ferry its normally followed by "where from". And that's from a Devonian.

We're a dead limb down 'ere in the West country. Except for holiday makers.

Stu

Bad management, over many years, has brought Flybe to its knees. Wrong aircraft, wrong routes, wrong frequencies, failing to hedge fuel costs are just some of the more obvious ones. As for Stobart, why would they, or anyone, want to waste money buying them. Just wait till they go pop and pick up the bits you want/need for free. Sad to say but that`s how aviation works and tbh always has.

I've only flown with them once, from Birmingham to Glasgow a few years ago, but it was certainly a step up from Ryanair and I quite enjoyed the experience. Nice aircraft and pleasant crew.

The point about people assuming you would fly to France underlines just how dominant air travel has become, a lot of people seem to want to fly everywhere without even stopping to consider whether there are any alternatives. The ferry companies still have much work to do in raising their profile amongst the travelling public, especially younger travellers. At the same time, government needs to do more to encourage a balanced approach to transport that is not overly reliant on us flying everywhere.

• Like 1

At the same time, government needs to do more to encourage a balanced approach to transport that is not overly reliant on us flying everywhere.

Absolutely! QM2 is a great way to get to and from New York! 😀

• Like 1

Scary news for Newquay airport, having only just recovered from the loss of Air Southwest.

I wish them the best of luck, it's a fantastic service for connections to Cornwall, I used to use it a few times a year from Manchester as it's far cheaper than the train and faster/easier than driving.

Once you have ploughed through all the rubbish at the start of the last accounts and get to the balance sheet the basket case nature of the business is quite stark. It is completely under-capitalised and the liabilities pretty well match the income for the year. The margins are wafer thin and it has made a (trivial) profit in only two of the last five years. The question is, as with so many such firms, why do they bother? There's no law says you have to run an airline.

Edited by Millsy

Could be a wise move actually... when all the Winter sailings get cancelled, you can fly passengers back and keep it in house!

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

They'd need a few C5 Galaxy aircraft as well as the Embraers to get the cars back too, wouldn't they? Ed. 

Yes good point. Foot passengers would be happy though:)

Or - as I have heard many times during a strike of weather disruption from people - if you need to be somewhere that urgently, then fly back, and have the vehicle put on a chartered freighter to follow shortly!

Now that has revived the old memory buds !

Made me think about the days of the Lydd - Beauvais car freighters.  In an old Bristol 170 freighter which could take 3 cars and a dozen or so passengers.  It flew at not much more than 3000’ over the Channel.  

I and my then girlfriend (now Mrs G) came back from Beauvais many, many years ago (1967?) in my Sunbeam Stilletto.

How on earth was that sort of payload profitable?

On 14/11/2018 at 22:02, Gardian said:

Now that has revived the old memory buds !

Made me think about the days of the Lydd - Beauvais car freighters.  In an old Bristol 170 freighter which could take 3 cars and a dozen or so passengers.  It flew at not much more than 3000’ over the Channel.  

I and my then girlfriend (now Mrs G) came back from Beauvais many, many years ago (1967?) in my Sunbeam Stilletto.

How on earth was that sort of payload profitable?

As a young teenager I flew with my family and a Rover 90 from Hurn to Cherbourg, and had the privilege of flying with the pilots, using what they referred to as the navigator's seat. Very noisy, with the propellers whirling inches from the perspex windows of the flight deck. I remember the Decca Navigator, rolling slowly as we crossed the Channel. 

I flew from Southend to Ostende  in one of those before going on the, extremely cheap, overnight coach travel holidays to Switzerland organised by Swiss Travel. It would have been about 1967/8. No cars just 30 or so seats with windows in the fuselage. I think that it was Silver City Airways.

On 14/11/2018 at 21:39, hf_uk said:

Brittany Airways ® 

🙂 

Actually, Alexis Gourvenec had a look at creating an airline in the 90's, but quickly decided it was too risky. 

Presumably by that time people realised that they could simply pop into Tesco and buy their onions rather than having them delivered by plane (or ferry)? Ed.