Jim

New Look Revealed

On 22/12/2018 at 08:12, Gareth said:

Have to say, I get that people will have views on whether they think the new branding is an improvement or not over the old one. ¬†But I do find some of the terminology being used, and the strength of feeling being expressed, to be slighlty out of kilter with a reasonable sense of perspective on what really matters in life! ūüėČ

There’s tragedy in the world.  Like detention without cause, unexpected tsunamis, teenage suicide and democracy gone wrong.

And then there are new corporate logos.

Some things are worth getting hung up about. And........ ūüėČ

• Like 2

Although I understand your point, this is an enthusiasts site for Brittany Ferries so I personally think it is an appropriate forum for expressing our views on something that is actually quite significant. Corporate identity is fundamental to a business brand and if you get it wrong, your business can often suffer too. There does seem to be a degree of consensus that the new logo is perhaps less appealing than many would have hoped for and certainly the concern that it is not uniformly flattering to the current fleet is worth a discussion amongst those who care about the company. I sense the strength of feeling is purely linked to the fact that corporate identity is an emotive topic.

• Like 6

Absolutely, and I agree with that consensus.  Nothing wrong at all with discussing the issue and expressing a view on the new logo.  That's what the site is for.

It's just, when people start using terminology like "disgrace", "very sad", "heart-breaking" and calling people "fools" if they don't see it the same way, I can't help feeling that the reaction is a little OTT.  Especially when the need is felt to express the same view a dozen times over.

It's a logo.  It's arguably not as good a logo as its predecessor.  But, come on, is it really something worth getting stressed about?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

And the saddest thing about it all is...... there is no way back....ever.....

The old logos in heaven now resting with da ūüĎľ angels .

I must say I’m surprised at the reaction to a logo and font choice, there’s pretty much nothing BF could put on the side of their ships that would affect how often I would travel with them and personally I quite like the new logo.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chris L said:

Although I understand your point, this is an enthusiasts site for Brittany Ferries so I personally think it is an appropriate forum for expressing our views on something that is actually quite significant. Corporate identity is fundamental to a business brand and if you get it wrong, your business can often suffer too. There does seem to be a degree of consensus that the new logo is perhaps less appealing than many would have hoped for and certainly the concern that it is not uniformly flattering to the current fleet is worth a discussion amongst those who care about the company. I sense the strength of feeling is purely linked to the fact that corporate identity is an emotive topic.

By the way Chris - should have said this after your first post - welcome to the site!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot. Believe it or not I have actually been a doormat member for years using an old email address so it is good to be back. In those days, I travelled back and forth to France every two weeks by ferry. Now we live in Devon, we just head over every six months or so. 

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Absolutely, and I agree with that consensus.  Nothing wrong at all with discussing the issue and expressing a view on the new logo.  That's what the site is for.

It's just, when people start using terminology like "disgrace", "very sad", "heart-breaking" and calling people "fools" if they don't see it the same way, I can't help feeling that the reaction is a little OTT.  Especially when the need is felt to express the same view a dozen times over.

It's a logo.  It's arguably not as good a logo as its predecessor.  But, come on, is it really something worth getting stressed about?

Recent discussion has been aimed at the logo and livery application to Bretagne rather than the logo itself. I know Bretagne divides opinion, some love her, and some think she's old and tired, but when I conducted a poll a few years ago, Bretagne was quite significantly the favourite BF ship on here. Bretagne has a place in many people's hearts and seeing her in the new livery has not done her justice. As other people have said, it shows her age and makes her look worse. So this suggests why there has been numerous emotive comments in response. A little OTT maybe, but perhaps you can see why? 

• Like 2

Yes George, I understand the affection for Bretagne.  I share that affection.  New corporate identity doesn't translate that well onto her, I agree.  Got to keep in perspective, though, that Bretagne's time in the fleet is limited, so it's going to be a short-term problem.  Also got to keep in perspective that, whatever you may think of the effect on the appearance of the ships caused by the new livery, they pale into insignificance compared with the effects of scrubber installation.  At least Bretagne was spared what Pont Aven had to go through a few years ago.  And, remember, I lived through the mutilation of my beloved Viking Venturer, so the odd misguided splash of paint doesn't really raise my hackles.  The experience of travelling aboard will still be the same (just as, when travelling on board Pont Aven, you hardly notice the piece of modern sculpture surrounding her funnel)!

For me the bigger issue, than just the appearance of the livery, is what it says about the mindset and approach of the current BF management team.  If it really is a product of delegating the decision-making to a PR company, then that, coupled with the impressions from the beta site of the direction in which the website is going, and the rumours of "de-Frenchification" of the brand, all points to a direction in which the company might be being taken that could signal a fundamental change in the ethos of what the company is about.  If the new livery symbolises something akin to a move towards "big corporate" and away from "Breton roots" in what the company stands for that then that would be a concern - not because of what the livery looks like, but rather because of what it may represent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My opinion for what it's worth?

It's a complete change and not one which, at the moment,  particularly identifies with the company it represents. That will change over a surprisingly short period once the ships begin to busily sail in and out of the U.K. and French ports we enjoy visiting.. There's been nothing like it since the logo change nearly 35 years ago which is why it splits forum opinion so much.

Personally I think it's nothing special but I'm more concerned that the vessels are maintained, don't leak, the cabins are clean and the food is cooked.

I wonder what the response to DFDS was when they painted all of their hulls blue and dropped " Of Scandinavia" in favour of "Seaways"?

As has been said, many of us have a special place for Bretagne but she's part of the history of BF not the future. Her days are possibly numbered far less than what we know. I have a feeling she'll be gone if an appropriate interim charter becomes available before a new build is floated... removing the blue stripes has her halfway out of her livery already and there's one thing that can be said about the new look... it's easily removed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

For me the bigger issue, than just the appearance of the livery, is what it says about the mindset and approach of the current BF management team.  If it really is a product of delegating the decision-making to a PR company, then that, coupled with the impressions from the beta site of the direction in which the website is going,

Gareth there's an interesting interview with Christophe Mathieu's predecessor, Martine Jourdren, which Andy posted back in 2009.

Jourdren had been with BF since 1973 so in part was fully aware of the traditions of the company and had experienced every new build from Kerisnel to Armorique and consequent livery evolution right back to adding the twin stripes back in 1974 and the twin wave stripe on the funnel first seen in 1984.

Mathieu arrived in the sales department back in 2009, Honfleur is a first for him so too is his management and oversight of the new colour scheme.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

If the new livery symbolises something akin to a move towards "big corporate" and away from "Breton roots" in what the company stands for that then that would be a concern - not because of what the livery looks like, but rather because of what it may represent.

It's quite ironic. For years a lot of the big hotel chains relied on this "big corporate" and highly integrated branding as key competitive advantage for them. Now with the millenials coming on stream as customers - this "big corporate" look just looks bland, boring and well...too corporate. As a result a lot of these hotel chains have set up separate brands (Aloft and Moxy come to mind) with more "character" while downplaying the corporate look and feel.

BF seem to be going to be going in the opposite direction. And this is a shame because the story behind BF is amazing. (For branding purposes, others companies would cut their arm off to have a story of how a humble farmer had a vision for company and against all odds succeeded.). And, for me, one of the unique things about the company is you never really get that bland corporate vibe that you get on lines like Stena. This is the wrong wrong direction of BF!

Edited by zuludelta
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, zuludelta said:

It's quite ironic. For years a lot of the big hotel chains relied on this "big corporate" and highly integrated branding as key competitive advantage for them. Now with the millenials coming on stream as customers - this "big corporate" look just looks bland, boring and well...too corporate. As a result a lot of these hotel chains have set up separate brands (Aloft and Moxy come to mind) with more "character" while downplaying the corporate look and feel.

BF seem to be going to be going in the opposite direction.

Very nicely argued. I suspect that corporatisation may be one outcme of the Macron change agenda, and BF is probably just going with the flow of French business.

I would argue that British corporate culture just now seems to be going in the opposite direction to the French, with British companies going out of their way to decorporatise their personas, with lots of brownie points for firms who can claim workers' ownership / co-operative membership, being a small business etc. I think the history of French onion growers and how BF has evolved makes a great story, more than a new corporate logo ever will.

More fundamentally, if I am correct in perceiving a growing corporatisation of France, will this change the nature of France as a country which is so different to home, and for this reason so worthy of a holiday visit?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zuludelta said:

BF seem to be going to be going in the opposite direction. And this is a shame because the story behind BF is amazing. (For branding purposes, others companies would cut their arm off to have a story of how a humble farmer had a vision for company and against all odds succeeded.). And, for me, one of the unique things about the company is you never really get that bland corporate vibe that you get on lines like Stena. This is the wrong wrong direction of BF!

Really disappointed they didn't come up with "Floaty Ferries"- young and vibrant, seeing tomorrows world today. Reaching out to the young "millennials". And all this talk about clean cabins, there's plenty of floor space to kip on with your mates!

HNY

Stu

2 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Really disappointed they didn't come up with "Floaty Ferries"- young and vibrant, seeing tomorrows world today. Reaching out to the young "millennials". And all this talk about clean cabins, there's plenty of floor space to kip on with your mates!

HNY

Stu

No they worked out the old farts with their dogs and caravans who spend plenty dosh on board provide a much greater yield...The hip new millennials they've left to Ryanair..

• Like 2

@Paully¬†is right. Most millennials in the demographic sense are ‚Äútime poor‚ÄĚ so spending hours on a ferry is not a priority.

@Gareth I can’t believe you missed out the social media phrase of the moment; gutted. I have images of people in total devastation like the world has ended because the tiniest thing has not gone their way. Or that they’re sitting there with no innards left, like a fish is gutted. It’s the tendency on social media to be keyboard warriors and exaggerate everything.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Altranter said:

I would argue that British corporate culture just now seems to be going in the opposite direction to the French, with British companies going out of their way to decorporatise their personas,ÔĽŅ

I've seen that trend. If Waterstones buys up an independent bookshop. More likely than not, they will keep the existing branding. Likewise, I think this trend has been going on in the UK pub trade for a long time. A pub bought out by a chain won't lose its original name in order to preserve its character.

16 hours ago, Altranter said:

More fundamentally, if I am correct in perceiving a growing corporatisation of France, will this change the nature of France as a country which is so different to home, and for this reason so worthy of a holiday visit? ÔĽŅÔĽŅÔĽŅ

True. When speaking to tourists about France, they will often say how they loved the whole experience of visiting boulangerie or epercerie shops.

Rarely, you will find people saying "gosh, I really missed Tesco Express and Greggs". (Incidentally, Carrefour Express seems to becoming the de facto grocery store in a lot of small towns in France). This increasing corporatisation of France certainly removes some of the country's charm as a tourist destination.

I caught sight of the Bretagne the other day whilst walking in to Honfleur from the Pont-Aven, not the best photo admittedly but looks as though the paintwork is still a 'work in progress'...

IMG_0847.JPG

Edited by Ryan_H
Missing info
  • Sad 1

Stripped and devoid of all character......an identity gone forever.

Sad.

Inexplicable.

Strange.

I am sure even the least brightest of sparks at BF towers could ascertain she looks bloody awful and put a new paint design in place.

Losing the striping on the corporate logo also appears to be a monumentally poor decision.

Le Quib.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

I caught sight of the Bretagne the other day whilst walking in to Honfleur from the Pont-Aven, not the best photo admittedly but looks as though the paintwork is still a 'work in progress'...

IMG_0847.JPG

I think the stripe is a deck too low - would look better on the next up - it's too close to the bow

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The way I see it they've got another two months to sort it out, I'm trying to be optimistic ;) For what it's worth I personally don't mind what they've done at the bow too much but I do think the funnel and hull could do with some more blue paint, as with Pont-Aven, to inject a bit more colour and break up her profile a bit.

I've been saying this for a while but I really must get myself back on Bretagne again this year, perhaps combining it with a crossing on Honfleur.

14 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

You must have a long lens !,

It is at least 2.5 miles across the estuary