Jim

New Look Revealed

7 hours ago, Seashore said:

It’s just a rehash of an existing theme - probably the most “emotion” the general public will get is shock at peak prices, disgust at cabin prices followed by the devastation of being woken up at what is ostensibly 04:45 UK time sailing to Ouistreham to be chucked out the cabin (which probably wasn’t ready on boarding, and probably not really clean anyway a la Bretagne) when still 30 minutes out.

But if they wanted to assert an identity, I think they missed a trick. For sure something like Moby’s or Tirrenia’s livery is shocking, but there are some very workable brand identities on the likes of Tallink and GNV our there. Even Viking jumped their livery ahead by adding some wavy lines to the red hull.

Then there’s cruise ships... yep, most NCL liveries are rather abstract (although why not have Gaugin inspired art on the side of Pont Aven or lighthouses and coastline on Armorique), but even traditionally more conservative lines like P&O Cruises and Princess have been adding something to the bows and it’s quite classy but fun at the same time.

I just think of you’re going to rebrand, then be bold and go the whole way.

Sorry but I don't think there is anything 'classy' about P&O's Union Jack bow treatment, in fact I think it looks pretty ridiculous especially when you look to see where the ships are registered: Bermuda. It's a pretty tacky attempt to make them look like the patriotic choice, though no doubt it goes down well with many of their clientele.

• Like 2

I have to say I quite like the P&O bow flags but the aim is I suspect more about projecting an image of what you will find on board (in terms of style, decor and service/tradition) than patriotism (even though the Union Flag is part of Bermuda's). Plus the ships call at a wide range of destinations around the world during their cruises and helps to set them apart from the bland white tower blocks favoured by other lines. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

I am going to bring Nova Star into this - so far, SO FAR, she is all white, while Wawel has the bow art.  Looking at them together the Star looks the more attractive vessel.  Bow art looks plain weird.  No doubt if she ends up being purchased she will get something gaudy across hers, but she looks far better plain white.  

Regarding BF and the logos resembling an energy company, BF ought to do a deal with EDF, then they can use the dancing flame, Zingy in their adverts.  Forget Pierre, a dancing Zingy in the advert.  He was brilliant...👍

14 hours ago, nottingham said:

Just disappointed! - the new logo does not convey any meaning to me at all.  It will not encourage or discourage me to use the ferries.  An opportunity missed here I think.

Really ?, so a nice logo would encourage you to use a ferry and a bad one wouldn’t?

If Green represents the environment, I wonder if they will put the new logo on the funnel of the smoky MN Pelican! 

More white always looks smart after a overhaul, but it starts to show the rust soonest. Seeing the Barfleur everyday at work, she definitely looks more rusty this season that past seasons, I wonder if paint applied in the low minus temperatures in Gdansk  last winter stopped it bonding properly? 

Edited by DorsetWillsy

4 hours ago, Khaines said:

I am going to bring Nova Star into this - so far, SO FAR, she is all white, while Wawel has the bow art.  Looking at them together the Star looks the more attractive vessel.  Bow art looks plain weird.

Wawel doesn't have bow art either? 

But yes the Polferries ships with art don't look great.

I agree about the P&O cruises livery - it's crass and has genuinely poor design elements. It ditches a rather classy, understated historic identity and the bow stuff is just embarrassing. I can only assume P&O's brand message is that they aren't looking for either aesthetes or people who enjoy subtlety.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Ooh - now the font's changed.  Not sure about that!

Thank goodness for that. I thought it was my phone that had done something weird. Ed.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Ooh - now the font's changed.  Not sure about that!

Me neither, but given the seeming carnage it temporarily caused, I'm not touching it again just yet! You also have the new-look PA in the header as BF very kindly said we could use their image. I might give the overall colours a bit of a warmer refresh sometime but I suppose I should probably get on with the day job.

Back to the topic at hand though, it's been interesting reading some of the comments. My take on all of this is that from time to time brands/logos etc will change. It doesn't and shouldn't in itself make a huge amount of difference - what does is what the brand stands for in terms of service and experience. Yes, end of the day people will travel by a particular ferry company generally because it's taking them where they want to go. Yes, BF don't themselves have direct competition on routes but where they have to distinguish themselves is their brand and service being good enough to tip the percentage of people who are weighing up alternatives into their favour. I'm looking forward to seeing what else evolves at BF in terms of service that's associated with this exercise.

Right, back to the day job...

My eyes are on what BDS is going to look like when she returns from refit at the end of March.  She's away a month - plenty of time to deal with the few things they'd need to attend to in order to brand her alongside the rest of the cruise fleet.

1 hour ago, hhvferry said:

Wawel doesn't have bow art either? 

But yes the Polferries ships with art don't look great.

I agree about the P&O cruises livery - it's crass and has genuinely poor design elements. It ditches a rather classy, understated historic identity and the bow stuff is just embarrassing. I can only assume P&O's brand message is that they aren't looking for either aesthetes or people who enjoy subtlety.

Apologies, my mistake, it was  Cracovia in the picture I remembered, for some reason I remembered it was Wawel, thanks for correction. 

https://polferries.com/our-ferries/

4 hours ago, David Williams said:

It doesn't really matter, when using the ships you generally only see the front or the rear and there is not a lot of branding on that. Be thankful they haven't gone for a more dynamic look:-

image.png.1cafe75f95e057471e42a03a500bf2be.png

Is that an attempt to make passengers feel less seasick on the voyage, because they felt so sick when they first see the ship?

In the grand scheme of rebrandings, that's not so dramatic. Logo definitely looks like the natural evolution, even if the green may be an initial surprise.

The font however.... we'll just have to hope that it grows on us over time!

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of re-brandings it’s a virtual non-event!  The big build-up it was given in certain quarters was either making fun of us or a transferred expression of internal anti-climax within sections of BF!!

17 hours ago, Gareth said:

In the grand scheme of re-brandings it’s a virtual non-event!  The big build-up it was given in certain quarters was either making fun of us or a transferred expression of internal anti-climax within sections of BF!!

I think it will take a long time to sink in. All the small things that you don't notice when you are onboard and the documentation, gifts, marketing you take home.

Will start to feel very different over time I think!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, hf_uk said:

New BFE logo is good. I showed my colleague and he couldn't see the difference. (tut).

Watch this space... well, more specifically the top left of the screen... well, at some point. I've got a weekend away and the pub to deal with first.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

How about you let us know when you are back from the pub? Ed. 

You`ll know he`s back from the pub when the font changes again and you can`t read it 🤣