Jim

New Look Revealed

Just now, penguin said:

I must admit I was far more partial to the blue/red.

That's really interesting as I'd say they're going in the opposite direction, with all the details on the lettering, gradients etc. If anything I'd say the old logo/typeface was more clean and minimal. It's slowly growing on me, but it will take a while to get used to. It looks best in the PR materials I think.

The reason I said they are going for the minimalist look is primarily because their ships will no longer have those blue and orange strips down the side. 

I agree with you that the old BF logo in standalone mode does look cleaner and more minimalist. However, once you apply the new design to their ships, it's a more minimalist look compared to the previous design.

This really logo change really is not growing on me at all - one of the best things about BF ships is how they look , the changes made to the logo and font in the mid 00's were bad enough but I could put up with them - but this is just a step too far. I have associated the blue red flag with the company since the early 90's and no matter what anyone says this new logo is nowhere near as good - very disaapointing. There seems to be a thing in modern day life of  unecessarilly changing things that are perfectly fine  - very sad indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It might just be me but I don't really care about new logo on the bf ferries.has long as the ferries are safe and clean and that about sums it up for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nodwad said:

It might just be me but I don't really care about new logo on the bf ferries.has long as the ferries are safe and clean and that about sums it up for me.

I think that sums it up for most of us.  The new logo is okay but why bother?  Did some bright spark somewhere say "Why don't we do this, it will attract more passengers.".  As people have said on here, we want a clean efficient service that goes where we want to go at a reasonable price and don't give a damn what Logo is on the ship.

• Like 6

I know some people are getting carried away about the new logo.why I don't know,it baffles me why so many comments on it.saying that by me commenting on makes me has bad as them.so I will pot no more on this silly thread.

• Like 1

I don't think that the logo, brand or identity of any company should be overlooked; it's hugely important. For those loyal customers who have travelled with Brittany Ferries for years, arguably a change in logo - and even a current logo - is of little importance when selecting whether to use their services. Looking at the bigger picture however, every company needs to establish a brand, logo, colours, typeface etc. that most accurately reflects their values, current or evolving. Whether that be colourful, playful, contemporary or somber, more serious and toned down, it's a massive part of the marketing mix - one that attracts new customers, sets a company out from the crowd and generates business. It's said that we eat with our eyes, well, we also shop with our eyes.

You then have the important task of ensuring that the connection between logo and company/brand is made by current and prospective companies. Think about British Airways' ribbon; you see that alone and immediately think of BA. Or when somebody whistles the McDonald's tune, you bet that someone will chime in and finish it off with 'I'm lovin' it'; hugely clever and important to any corporation.

As I say, everyone is entitled to their opinion and for many a logo is not of importance, but to millions of others it is, more-so on a subconscious level of decision making than a 'Darling, let's choose to sail with that company as I much prefer their corporate colours' 😉

Anyway, much less of boring marketing speak. But I will end of saying that clearly, for many, the logo has engaged people on an emotional level - a perfect example of what I'm talking about. 

Edited by BAI4
  • Like 1

Is that still the case though so much these days, especially with transport? How many people will just be looking for the cheapest option? I know people who have used the Dover-Calais route to get to Normandy because "it's cheaper" - even driven down to spain despite the convience of a Spanish crossing. Unless you have travelled with BF, you're not going to know the brand, whatever the logo.

Even I will admit, if I am looking for flights, I will always use a website to find the cheapest flight options (OK I have a few cheap airlines I won't go with).

New logo now applied to the funnel of Brittany Ferries 'Pont-Aven' at the Astander Shipyard in Santander. 

Photo Credit: Jose Luis Diaz Campa

2a.jpg.e0a437fa6a7a07550edab94167ed8f50.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

New logo now applied to the funnel of Brittany Ferries 'Pont-Aven' at the Astander Shipyard in Santander. 

Photo Credit: Jose Luis Diaz Campa

2a.jpg.e0a437fa6a7a07550edab94167ed8f50.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

It's like a new BF take on Parkinson's Law. 

"logos expand so as to fill the space available for them". 

Ed

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BAI4 said:

I don't think that the logo, brand or identity of any company should be overlooked; it's hugely important. For those loyal customers who have travelled with Brittany Ferries for years, arguably a change in logo - and even a current logo - is of little importance when selecting whether to use their services. Looking at the bigger picture however, every company needs to establish a brand, logo, colours, typeface etc. that most accurately reflects their values, current or evolving. Whether that be colourful, playful, contemporary or somber, more serious and toned down, it's a massive part of the marketing mix - one that attracts new customers, sets a company out from the crowd and generates business. It's said that we eat with our eyes, well, we also shop with our eyes.

If it's thought about - BF actually tend to rebrand their style every 2-4 years. Yes, the logo has been the same for years - but the style used for onboard posters, documents etc does keep changing. Remember the wavy lines? The ribbons (ugh)? Even the 'old old' logo - remember when that used to appear in an oval? Remember when it didn't? 

The point I'm trying to make is that the new logo has generated quite a few views on both sides of the fence - but the fact is, BF's marketing and imagery is always changing to stay modern... it's just not always noticed as much as this.

• Like 1

I like it. I think the new colour scheme particularly suits the Pont-Aven especially where her funnel is concerned. I’m really looking forward to see it ‘in the flesh’ in a few weeks time.

I get what you are saying Jim, and also understand that the only time to make such a change (particularly with the flagship) is during the dry-dock season. However, and BAI4's post last night has done little to convince me, there seems to be a lack of understanding at the top of the company about what the actual passengers want. I (we) want clean cabins, varied on-board services, a range of reasonably-priced food options and ticket prices that reflect the crossing time and seasonal demand. Plus, with all the uncertainty surrounding the economy, possible travel restrictions etc. why not wait a year and focus on your core business and loyal customers with better deals? A new logo is not going to magically reverse that 2019 booking shortfall we have heard about, but a few discounts might. Ed

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, colin said:

Anything that masks the plug ugliness of Pont Aven's post scrubber funnel is good!!!

Where is Maggie Thatcher with a large handkerchief to drape over it when we need her? 😀 Ed. 

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I get what you are saying Jim, and also understand that the only time to make such a change (particularly with the flagship) is during the dry-dock season. However, and BAI4's post last night has done little to convince me, there seems to be a lack of understanding at the top of the company about what the actual passengers want. I (we) want clean cabins, varied on-board services, a range of reasonably-priced food options and ticket prices that reflect the crossing time and seasonal demand. Plus, with all the uncertainty surrounding the economy, possible travel restrictions etc. why not wait a year and focus on your core business and loyal customers with better deals? A new logo is not going to magically reverse that 2019 booking shortfall we have heard about, but a few discounts might. Ed

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Cabin-boy.

However, just because a company is investing in its branding, visual and corporate identity does not at all mean that they aren't just as equally investing in their product and service offering. The two aren't mutually exclusive; the two investments and projects can run alongside each other; it just may be in this instance, a rebranding project has reached completion first and is probably a lesser scale task than reviewing products and services.

I can speak from past experience and say that Brittany Ferries takes customer feedback, good and bad, very seriously and acts upon it. That's not to say that every suggestion warrants an action, that would be knee-jerk, but each one is studied, considered and reviewed. Things are changing within the company and people across the business, from top to bottom, bottom to top are making differences, creating waves and working to ensure that Brittany Ferries has a long and prosperous future. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BAI4 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Cabin-boy.

However, just because a company is investing in its branding, visual and corporate identity does not at all mean that they aren't just as equally investing in their product and service offering. The two aren't mutually exclusive; the two investments and projects can run alongside each other; it just may be in this instance, a rebranding project has reached completion first and is probably a lesser scale task than reviewing products and services.

I can speak from past experience and say that Brittany Ferries takes customer feedback, good and bad, very seriously and acts upon it. That's not to say that every suggestion warrants an action, that would be knee-jerk, but each one is studied, considered and reviewed. Things are changing within the company and people across the business, from top to bottom, bottom to top are making differences, creating waves and working to ensure that Brittany Ferries has a long and prosperous future. 

They could do with making waves with a mop and feather duster in a few cabins 😉

48 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

They could do with making waves with a mop and feather duster in a few cabins 😉

I'm intrigued to see, with an impending trip on the post-refit PA, if they've taken the chance for a deep clean...

• Like 1

The problem with creating a corporate identity for a ferry company like BF is its ships are unique they all have their quirks and characters and so they should that’s why we go back and I’m sure others are the same so it’s harder for BF to create a corporate identity compared to say a McDonalds as they are sterile and offer exactly the same thing anywhere, to be honest the wife and I still won’t cross the channel any other way whatever the corporate identity is.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The problem with creating a corporate identity for a ferry company like BF is its ships are unique they all have their quirks and characters and so they should that’s why we go back and I’m sure others are the same so it’s harder for BF to create a corporate identity compared to say a McDonalds as they are sterile and offer exactly the same thing anywhere, to be honest the wife and I still won’t cross the channel any other way whatever the corporate identity is.

Tout à fait! 

Each ship having its own feel, identity and character doesn't detract from a company's ID, but is actually part of it, if that's what the company wants to convey of course. From the moment you see BF marketing, through the booking process, ports, on board, and post-travel, you should be experiencing the same consistent branding, colours, fonts, logos, uniforms right down to the sugar cubes in the self service restaurant; it should all be consistent and where possible, reflect the company's values, how it views itself and how it wants to be viewed (which is also corporate image, which is a little different).

Harking back to the McDonald's and BA examples, you see the golden arches or BA ribbon, and it's immediately recognisable. That's not to say that BF have to be as sterile as McDonald's or as global as BA but they are good examples of strong corporate IDs.

I think that when people hear the words 'corporate' it means sterile, stripping a company of its character, when in fact it's all about how the company wishes to be viewed. Moby Lines' loony tunes artwork is all part of their corporate ID (through a conscious choice of visual identity).

9 minutes ago, BAI4 said:

Tout à fait! 

Each ship having its own feel, identity and character doesn't detract from a company's ID, but is actually part of it, if that's what the company wants to convey of course. From the moment you see BF marketing, through the booking process, ports, on board, and post-travel, you should be experiencing the same consistent branding, colours, fonts, logos, uniforms right down to the sugar cubes in the self service restaurant; it should all be consistent and where possible, reflect the company's values, how it views itself and how it wants to be viewed (which is also corporate image, which is a little different).

Harking back to the McDonald's and BA examples, you see the golden arches or BA ribbon, and it's immediately recognisable. That's not to say that BF have to be as sterile as McDonald's or as global as BA but they are good examples of strong corporate IDs.

I think that when people hear the words 'corporate' it means sterile, stripping a company of its character, when in fact it's all about how the company wishes to be viewed. Moby Lines' loony tunes artwork is all part of their corporate ID (through a conscious choice of visual identity).

Individuality is a big strength. It will be interesting to see what happens with the e-flexers. BF have certainly taken full advantage of the mix of sizes/ages/purposes in the current fleet.  I wonder how or if the two new sister ships will be differentiated. Come to think of it, has BF ever had two sister passenger ferries before?

Edited by penguin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Individuality is a big strength. It will be interesting to see what happens with the e-flexers. BF have certainly taken full advantage of the mix of sizes/ages/purposes in the current fleet.  I wonder how or if the two new sister ships will be differentiated. Come to think of it, has BF ever had two sister passenger ferries before?

I don't think they have, these will be the first sister vessels.