Jim

New Look Revealed

2 hours ago, Jim said:

This makes me sad - that's an image of my childhood trashed! It looks awful anyway, but the fact the rest of the hull appears to have not been painted really doesn't help (hopefully that gets changed).

To cheer you up @Jim

• Like 2

Bretagne's proportions are quite different from any other ship in the fleet, and there is no doubt that this paint job makes her look much worse. No-one did mock ups or artists impressions obviously. Imagine the outcry there would have been if Val de Loire had seen this treatment ….

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The reality is that by simplifying the look it makes it easier to sell her when the time comes. Ed. 

The time to sell her was when Pegasis was due to be delivered , the lack of investment since is telling.

36 minutes ago, colin said:

Bretagne's proportions are quite different from any other ship in the fleet, and there is no doubt that this paint job makes her look much worse. No-one did mock ups or artists impressions obviously. Imagine the outcry there would have been if Val de Loire had seen this treatment ….

Agreed - on everything so far, the new logo and associated paint job has looked alright, but on Bretagne it seemed to have missed the mark and shows her age 😟

49 minutes ago, colin said:

I totally agree with this. 

And I'm sure BF could argue that there needs to be "integrated look" across the fleet. And yes, this is true to a certain extent. But the stripes on Bretagne's front super-structure made her a classy-looking ship and very contemporary even in 2018. Removing those front strips just makes her look her age. Actually removing them makes her look about 20 years older. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have to agree with everyone's comments here regarding the new logo on the Bretagne. It simply makes the ship look like a throw back to the 1980s. Overall, I think the new logo sadly does not work and certainly does not make the fleet look more modern. As British Airways has showed over the years, changes in corporate identity can be a hit and miss affair especially when you have something like the existing Brittany Ferries design which has always struck me as being very good. Although I accept it takes time to adapt to any change, my main fear is that the impact the new logo is having is the reverse of what was intended. Instead of refreshing the fleet with a dynamic livery, for me at least it is less than flattering to the current fleet.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, neilcvx said:

To cheer you up @Jim

15 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Fantastic post which clearly demonstrates how the look of the vessel has deteriorated as the ship has endured the changing logos, unique paint design etc.

She really looked fantastic in her 90's livery, the previous one introduced in the mid 00's was not great and her most recent nothing short of a disgrace. A truly bizarre decision.

On a side note its wonderful to see her during construction, something that is as rare as hens teeth there are not many around,

• Like 2

I think the livery works on some ships - it’s ok on Armorique, it’s a definite improvement on Pont-Aven - but Bretagne is a short, tall ship with an oversized funnel. The new livery makes Pont-Aven look longer and sleeker, it makes Bretagne look like a box. The lack of the front stripes makes her look like other ships of her vintage (harsh flat Germanic lines with small windows). At the end of the day it’s a modern livery on an old ship... what can you do?

Not sure that I find the livery more modern but I accept it may work better on some ships than others.To me it is a throw back the 80s but I guess others may perceive it differently. Either way, we love travelling on Brittany Ferries!

The stripes were applied differently to each ship because the people who oversaw the original application selected something which would be most flattering for each vessel. In most cases these were the professional designers and naval architects who sculpted the ships' external profiles.

The new livery's 'one size fits all' lack of nuance is not helpful to some ships - and is also utterly unnecessary. I suspect the implementation has been done by the PR agency that came up with the logo rather than using a proper designer to work out appropriate application to each ship. 

The ships are the company's biggest assets and will appear in the background of thousands of holiday snaps and selfies, particularly those which sail in and out of Portsmouth, so it should be a priority for them to look their best. 

It's not the biggest problem in the world but it's indicative of an indifference to detail, which supposedly at one time set BF apart.

Edited by hhvferry
  • Like 9

Looking at the rest of the fleet to be done. Cap will look pretty much the same, very little to change, I think she'll look good. Normandie and Barfleur should also wear it well. Not so sure it will fit MSM so well though..be interesting to see. 

2 hours ago, hhvferry said:

It's not the biggest problem in the world but it's indicative of an indifference to detail, which supposedly at one time set BF apart.

I think that's a very perceptive comment.

• Like 1

Why do they need to be set apart? They have no direct competitors on the Western Channel. And why do they have to pay attention to detail, as manifest in the quality of cabin preparation. They should but right now they don’t always do it.

Setting apart isn’t always a line’s priority - look at Dover with very little to separate the P&O and DFDS liveries.

3 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Looking at the rest of the fleet to be done. Cap will look pretty much the same, very little to change, I think she'll look good. Normandie and Barfleur should also wear it well. Not so sure it will fit MSM so well though..be interesting to see. 

Anyone got a few minutes on Photoshop over Christmas to do a mock-up of those two so we know what to expect.  NEX will look OK, Bretagne looks like a form of Economie with the way it looks on her, which she most definitely isn’t.

3 hours ago, Khaines said:

Bretagne looks like a form of Economie with the way it looks on her, which she most definitely isn’t.

30 year old banger with tiny dated cabins and bathrooms with smaller windows than an aeroplane some under the car deck (fortunately without windows) and not enough for half the passengers on a busy Friday night sailing, noisy engines, threadbare carpets, 1980s decor, terrible free WiFi and almost nothing to do for 9 hours in the day except pay more to eat or pay to watch a film. The latter Stena give you for free.

Ask most of the travelling public and they’ll say they’re already getting a budget product at premium prices.

The one thing that seems strange to me, is that modern branding rarely makes use of italics these days. It’s all about clarity and quality on websites, especially when viewed on mobile phones. The BBC dropped italics years ago citing just that.

Looking at the font Jim has used on the forum header in regular font, it’s much more modern looking.

1 hour ago, Seashore said:

The one thing that seems strange to me, is that modern branding rarely makes use of italics these days. It’s all about clarity and quality on websites, especially when viewed on mobile phones. The BBC dropped italics years ago citing just that.

Looking at the font Jim has used on the forum header in regular font, it’s much more modern looking.

Italics historically are harder to skim read, but also displayed poorly on computer screens at a 'normal' document size before we all went high definition. Similar with serif fonts, which is why computer displays have tended to favour sans-serif. For traditional books however, serif fonts are believed help the brain process the 'shape' of the word as well as the letters to aid quicker reading. These things don't matter so much when it's just a couple of words usually displayed on their own in the way the BF logo is.

5 hours ago, Khaines said:

Anyone got a few minutes on Photoshop over Christmas to do a mock-up of those two so we know what to expect.  NEX will look OK, Bretagne looks like a form of Economie with the way it looks on her, which she most definitely isn’t.

I would recommend avoiding doing this... there was a reason that Andy recently had to issue a reminder that the BF logo is copyrighted. I believe BF are going to be a lot more 'protective' of the new brand and where/how it's used...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

When you see them side by side like that it it is beyond all doubt that the original was far, far better. How the new one managed to get approved passeth all understanding.

Real own goal there.

I liked the 'Brittany Fairies' comment. Surely the way to make a decision is to use a test panel with an odd number of people, representing all the age ranges, who have never travelled with the company before, have never seen the logo and who are not remotely involved in the industry. Give them 4 choices including the existing logo and explain the company ethos and ask them to rank them. If none of the new ones gets a higher score than the current logo by a predetermined margin then don't change it. Or, in case of doubt, ask us! Ed. 

it is heartbreaking to say the least, and to think this will be applied to all members of the fleet with their striping removed as well.

I have seen mock ups of some the vessels on the bf newsroom site and they look absolutely terrible.

I always ranked BF as the best looking vessels operating out of the UK owing to the colour scheme, logo, striping and individual paint schemes,however, now would rank them as one of the worst.

And the saddest thing about it all is...... there is no way back....ever.....

I don't see why the Bretagne had to have the blue superstructure stripes removed - why not keep the stripes and apply with the new logo? One of the great things about the BF Fleet was that they were "the same but different", Each ship part of the family, but with a sense of individuality. Why the sudden desire to have a one-size fits all approach???

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

I don't see why the Bretagne had to have the blue superstructure stripes removed - why not keep the stripes and apply with the new logo? One of the great things about the BF Fleet was that they were "the same but different", Each ship part of the family, but with a sense of individuality. Why the sudden desire to have a one-size fits all approach???

So true, I always remember growing up in the 90's and 00s I knew the individual features of each ship:

Val de Loire: Had a large logo and fontage which was so intimidating and made her look so big, striping finished at top and started at bottom.

Bretagne: Famous 'Z-stripes', unique blue striping at rear and front of vessel, large funnel.

Normandie: Large logo and fontage, striping had 'one-step' effect. 

Barfleur: Obviously was Truckline Ferries for a while which was unique in itself, some blue striping on superstructure also.

Duchesse Anne/Quiberon/Duc de Normandie: All older vessels of the fleet but had 'wrap around' striping and each had very unique funnels.

My point being the vessels had identity, and looked great.