Jim

New Look Revealed

image.thumb.png.61c4404d8e5931ad4f57cba76bc8d3f0.png

Brittany Ferries is adding a splash of colour to its ships, with a bright new logo in striking shades of blue, orange and green. The new design, which comes with a more modern, warm and lyrical typeface, will be applied to each ship during refit, and will eventually be emblazoned on the side of every vessel’s hull and funnel.

The logo is the result of extensive customer research. The design more truly reflects the fullness of the Brittany Ferries experience: the richness of travel by sea, the warmth of the welcome ashore and on board, and the spirit of discovery for some of Western Europe’s most beautiful holiday destinations.

As well as a ferry operator Brittany Ferries is a holiday company too, with four decades of experience arranging sail-and-stay packages. Today the company offers thousands of hotels and holiday properties in France, Spain, Ireland and the UK making it one of Europe’s leading tour operators. The new logo reflects its destinations, with blue, green and orange shades evoking the seas, landscapes and skies of the holiday regions Brittany Ferries serves.

The new visual identity comes as part of a multi-million euro investment to make Brittany Ferries fit for the future. Three brand new ships are currently under construction and due to join the fleet in 2019, 2021 and 2022. A wide-ranging digital transformation programme is also underway, aimed at enhancing every aspect of the customer experience from researching to booking, checking-in, sailing, holidaying and returning home.

Florence Gourdon, marketing director explains: “This is the right time for an exciting change. We last evolved our logo 15 years ago and so much has changed in that time – for example we now live in a digital world. And while the previous logo fully communicated the reliability and trustworthiness of our ferry service, it didn’t fully embody the emotional side of travelling and holidaying with Brittany Ferries and the discoveries inherent in the fabulous destinations we serve.”

“This new look stands for everything that makes our brand: the quality of our products and services, the passion, pride and professionalism of our teams, and our bright future with brand new ships and rich experiences on the horizon.”

The new design was first glimpsed by eagle-eyed ship spotters at the shipyards where Armorique and Pont-Aven are currently undergoing winter refits. The ships will shortly return to service sporting the new look. The new logo will be unveiled further over the coming days. Then, and throughout 2019 it will be rolled out across all Brittany Ferries sites, marketing and operations including everything from signs, brochures, uniforms, to advertising and websites.

image.png.80191a5de2d498ed1d4c7a1fac142bae.png

(Look! Window stripe!) ^^

image.png.48e7d047bfaf0d35e846003846939b24.png

(Look! Extended window stripe!) ^^

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's funny.  I know the top bit is blue, but from a distance (probably because of the bit in the middle) it looks to have a tinge of green.  All looks quite.....Irish!

How much more will we pay on our tickets to fund the marketing research? "Warm and lyrical typeface"... I would have preferred money invested in "warm and comfortable" pillows!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I actually don't mind that! When they said they were introducing a new colour palette, I was a little worried, but they've done a good job here. 

Never thought they'd be adding blue to the Pont-Aven! However, I've always thought though that window stripes definitely add to a livery so its nice to see. 

Just now, crechbleiz said:

How much more will we pay on our tickets to fund the marketing research? "Warm and lyrical typeface"... I would have preferred money invested in "warm and comfortable" pillows!

My thoughts exactly! Hands up who told Florence they wanted a logo which would 'embody the emotional side of travelling' rather than clean, dust and rattle-free cabins on Bretagne. Gareth, the last time I heard the word 'tinge of green' in relation to a ferry wasn't anything to do with the logo! Ed. 

• Haha 1

I think it looks quite smart.  At least we do not have fish and shark teeth on the hulls!  Seems to be, though, definitely pitched at taking on IF.

Do these Marketing people truly believe the  declarations that they make when a change is made ????

It is quite inoffensive so that is ok.  The important things are that the ships are maintained and the excellent service from the staff does not change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

I think it looks quite smart.  At least we do not have fish and shark teeth on the hulls!  Seems to be, though, to be definitely pitched at taking on IF.

I just wanna know when the shower curtains will be done... then it's complete and I can rest easy!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rileyman said:

Do these Marketing people truly believe the  declarations that they make when a change is made ????

It is quite inoffensive so that is ok.  The important things are that the ships are maintained and the excellent service from the staff does not change.

I am sure they would not spend many millions unless someone had worked out that they would get it back somehow!

14 minutes ago, Paul said:

Not keen on the changes to the font, looks a bit odd to me.  Might look better on the ships, though.

I agree, the font does look a bit odd especially on the a and e

Looks quite nice and smart especially compared with the graphic abortions some shipping companies inflict on the their vessels. Can't quite summon up the deep emotional reaction though. Like the extended blue stripes, they always help break up the slab sided appearance of modern ships.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Can't quite summon up the deep emotional reaction though.

In that case you are not trying hard enough. You won't be allowed on board until you can. Ed. 

If you are on your knees doing it, that might just be enough. 

I may actually be able to muster some more enthusiasm if they promise to come up with some new wake up music to go with the new look. Ed. 

Well - I'll be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised that it's nothing too dramatic. Something of a logical evolution. The font will take a little getting used to, but at least the stylising will be unique (think of the last time BF changed font and Condor changed to something very similar around the same time). I like the blue stripe on the Pont and the extension on the Armorique - but wonder how this will work on the Normandie (will they take a stripe out) and the Bretagne (if she ever receives it)

I'll be interested to see how everything else fits in with this when the time comes. As I understand it, ships and website aside it'll be 2019 when this gets rolled out in anger.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

can’t wait to see the new uniforms.

Well heck, we all have to have something to look forward to in life eh?! 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

a European feel

As opposed to Breton? 😀 Given that 3 out of 5 of their French ports are in fact in Normandy, perhaps a name change is now required. Ed. 

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Well heck, we all have to have something to look forward to in life eh?! 😂

I’ve got the countdown app on my phone already, although I’m sure I will get another trip in before then.

• Haha 1

Do the marketing people really believe the c..p they come out with, will ordinary Joe Public see a picture of the logo and say "That's nice I'll travel with them"? No, they'll look at the various options to get from A to B and book accordingly.

Having said that, it's not to bad, it could have been a lot worse, that's the best that can be said.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solo said:

Do the marketing people really believe the c..p they come out with, will ordinary Joe Public see a picture of the logo and say "That's nice I'll travel with them"? No, they'll look at the various options to get from A to B and book accordingly.

Having said that, it's not to bad, it could have been a lot worse, that's the best that can be said.

Online presence, holistic approach, focus groups, modern feel, but you’re right at the end of the day it’s price,convince,quality and hopefully with BF the French touch that makes people choose them.

16 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

As opposed to Breton? 😀 Given that 3 out of 5 of their French ports are in fact in Normandy, perhaps a name change is now required. Ed. 

European Ferries?!  Oh, no, it’s been done before!  But the orange and the green would fit well! 😂