michellerivera

Older Timetable?

Anyone with information on the Poole-St Malo Calendar when Duchesse Anne works, and St. Malo -Cork and Portsmouth-St Malo with two ships before Brittany?

Edited by Millsy
Clarity

I`ll have a go from memory, and useage..Before the Bretagne there was a 2 ship service the Duchesse Anne and the old Amorique. The Duchesse followed roughly the same timetable as the Bretagne still does today whilst the Amorique did an overnight from St Malo to Portsmouth and a day return to St Malo. I do remember passing the Amorique mid crossing on one occasion. After the introduction of the Bretagne, the service went to the one ship operation it still is today.

Whilst Amorique was sold the Duchesse Anne continued the new routes to Poole and Cork from St Malo, for I think 2 summers. I sailed on her from Poole, one summer, which was an 8am sailing to St Malo. I think it did this route 3 times a week and Cork the rest. That`s to the best of my ageing recollection..I may be wrong though..

I remember travelling on the day sailing from Portsmouth to St. Malo on the old Armorique.  If I remember rightly sailing was 07:30 from Portsmouth with a 17:00 arrival in St. Malo although this often changed due to the tides.

1 hour ago, chris990 said:

I remember travelling on the day sailing from Portsmouth to St. Malo on the old Armorique.  If I remember rightly sailing was 07:30 from Portsmouth with a 17:00 arrival in St. Malo although this often changed due to the tides.

Yes, that must have been Armorique’s second stint.  When she first ran to St Malo (from opening the service in 1976 to the arrival of Prince of Brittany in 1978) she did the main overnight from Portsmouth roster.  Then, when she came back in 1982 (after being replaced at Santander by Quiberon), she took the day departure southbound sailing opposite main vessel Prince of Brittany.  You are right, 0730 was the departure from Portsmouth in that era.

There was a period between the arrival of Pont-Aven and the sale of Val de Loire, that the Val took over St Malo main schedule from Bretagne, which then did the old Armorique schedule interspersed with some Portsmouth to Cherbourg trips. The problem was not enough traffic on St Malo for the big VDL and Bretagne whilst Cherbourg was already in decline as an ex-UK port.

Bretagne ended up on Plymouth-Roscoff if I remember (after Duc de Normandie was sold), an improvement over DDN - a ship I really liked - and made the downgrade to Pont l’Abbe even more profound. Once Val de Loire was sold, Bretagne went back to St Malo, which itself resulted in a downgrade as VDL was superior on just about every level, and the service has remained as it is ever since with the exception of Pont-Aven’s winter cover.