G4rth

Ship building welding

How do they check the welds on new builds? When they constructed the natural gas pipe lines in the sixties they checked the welding with radioactive isotopes and I was wondering if they used the same methods today. It would be a bit embarrassing to launch your new ship only to find it filling with water.

23 minutes ago, G4rth said:

How do they check the welds on new builds? When they constructed the natural gas pipe lines in the sixties they checked the welding with radioactive isotopes and I was wondering if they used the same methods today. It would be a bit embarrassing to launch your new ship only to find it filling with water.

Most welded joints are now checked using ultrasonic testing. Radiographic examination is still used but rarely nowadays. 

As one of the contributors to execution standard comitees for structural steelwork standards, I could bore you to death with the acceptance criteria and examination techniques for such welds 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, crechbleiz said:

Most welded joints are now checked using ultrasonic testing.

Used phased array on turbines, more extensively for aircraft but later on 5 CCGT during commissioning.

@crechbleiz, you're the man... I think you should describe the different types of weld used in shipbuilding and why they are now far stronger and of a higher quality. I for one would find it a most interesting read.

11 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

Most welded joints are now checked using ultrasonic testing. Radiographic examination is still used but rarely nowadays. 

As one of the contributors to execution standard comitees for structural steelwork standards, I could bore you to death with the acceptance criteria and examination techniques for such welds 

Please don't bore anyone to death. I would appreciate a quick overview and perhaps a link to the examination techniques if you have time though.

Edited by G4rth