Jim

Honfleur - The Launch

What's the process to switch from a ship sitting on the blocks to sliding down the slipway? Is it given a pull (or push) to get it moving? Or a nautical equivalent of releasing the handbrake?

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Yes, two more freight vessels for FSGs parent group before the second Irish Ferries ship. 

The block on the left? That is the funnel for Honfleur, which will crown the ship on 7th January.

CFFFA0AD-688F-4C6B-8467-C815557D614F.jpeg

I can't fathom out what those glass windows are for?

Perhaps you will be able to look through the glass like in the Science Museem, and see how clean the smoke is! :)

Yes fab pics - thanks Andy! We have had an onslaught of juicy media for this build, compared to waiting for a construction book to be published like in the past. What an age we live in:)

13 hours ago, impreza280 said:

What's the process to switch from a ship sitting on the blocks to sliding down the slipway? Is it given a pull (or push) to get it moving? Or a nautical equivalent of releasing the handbrake?

Neither of those impreza280, it’s all to do with the Champagne they smash on the hull. Called the exploding bottle effect it triggers an imperceptible shock wave that’s just enough to send the ship on her merry way - it’s strong stuff that Champagne...! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Neither of those impreza280, it’s all to do with the Champagne they smash on the hull. Called the exploding bottle effect it triggers an imperceptible shock wave that’s just enough to send the ship on her merry way - it’s strong stuff that Champagne...! 🤣🤣🤣

Champagne that’s on offer now in Roscoff just look for the red bus 😉😂😂😂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

And it's really environmentally friendly sliding down the slipway on a cushion of tiny bubbles...  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, impreza280 said:

On that subject, assuming the slipway is inclined to aid the launch process (by even just 1°) , how do they then assure all their internal deck surfaces will be flat after launch? Is it done using laser measurements or by specifically mis-calibrated instruments to take account of the slope? Ed. 

I see that no expense was spared on the Brittany Ferries Banner, other ships were launched fully painted !

On the side issue of the red bus in Roscoff, that is one of the few places I have found outside of Duty Free shops that sells Smirnoff Blue.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

it’s all to do with the Champagne they smash on the hull. Called the exploding bottle effect it triggers an imperceptible shock wave that’s just enough to send the ship on her merry way - it’s strong stuff that Champagne...! 🤣🤣

But how can they do that? They don't have a royal family - no queen, no princesses, no spare duchesses to swing the bottle. 

Now the W D Yeats has set sail the Honfleur has been moved ahead of the lifting of the first accomodation Black tomorrow. 

• Like 5

Such interesting photos and videos, what exciting times!

Will both accommodation blocks be in place by Christmas or will it be a longer wait until the new year? 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, wortley said:

But how can they do that? They don't have a royal family - no queen, no princesses, no spare duchesses to swing the bottle. 

I'm sure there are a few queens in Hamburg who would have been delighted to pop up the road and do the job if asked. 😀 Ed. 

• Haha 1

Yes exciting times for sure.  When there were no new ferries bring ordered for years on end we now have a whole lot arriving at once! Makes the industry a lot more interesting. 

• Like 2

On 15/12/2018 at 08:44, Fine Whine said:

I presume they use champagne on the starboard side and port on the other?

But, going back to the question, looking at the video, I guess there's some release mechanism at the top of the slipway or something similar, then it's grease and gravity?

16 minutes ago, impreza280 said:

I presume they use champagne on the starboard side and port on the other?

But, going back to the question, looking at the video, I guess there's some release mechanism at the top of the slipway or something similar, then it's grease and gravity?

This website might be of interest. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.scribd.com/doc/101199408/Ship-Launching&ved=2ahUKEwj9p7antKTfAhUpzoUKHTzjAaYQFjAXegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3xrrvUOrMhBtESZQLDoWMD

Ed

• Like 1