Sign in to follow this  
Hermit

Fire on Wight Sky

Wightlink have cancelled sailings between Lymington and Yarmouth because of an engine-room fire onboard Wight Sky on the berth at Lymington. All crew and passengers have been safely evacuated.

This is the third ‘W’ Class fire in little over a year, which is worrying.

• Like 1

Clearly there is a serious and systemic failure within the engine room on this vessel. Hopefully MAIB will positively identify the fault and get it sorted. In the meantime I cant imagine any of Wightlinks engineers will want to work on these ships. One has already been seriously injured and affected. Just going to work must be a torment. Just hope the owners arn`t as complacent as they have appeared to be..

I think it might be to do with the way they maintain them because the engineers at lymington seem to have vessels that break down halfthe time on the other hand the Portsmouth engineers provide mostly perfect vessels 

thats my opinion sorry if anyone is offend

58 minutes ago, eagleeye said:

The engine was only 16 days old a brand new one installed by the engine manufacturers 

In that case you have to question if the design and or installation is fit for purpose..But again MAIB will address that thankfully

C Class were impeccable despite their nearly being 40.  They had the odd hiccup but they were reliable ferries - got rid of old but good ferries, for these things.

Always the same vessel yet all 3 W Class built and fitted engines the same. Just seems unbelievable as I thought I was reading a report update. It can't be the engines if they have had a rebuilt and a brand new one as otherwise the other vessels would have had the same issues surely. Bit too much of a coincidence that only 1 vessel seems to be affected. I hope they can identify it soon and glad everyone off safely. 

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

This engine on 'Wight Sky' was indeed installed during her refit in Falmouth but it wasn't 16 days in service. The engine had done just 390 hours when the fire broke out.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the latest fire isn't related to the previous fires. Something like a fuel pipe or filter weeping following installation would be a likely culprit.

Please don't shout me down for making a suggestion, I know I'm not the MAIB!

Well there are clearly 4 options:

- Possibly related 

- Possibly unrelated 

- Impossibly related 

- Impossibly unrelated 

It gives them something to go on for now, although as it's the same ship, with the same engine bay, with the same crew using the same tools and fuel my inner-Poirot suggests the former is most likely. Ed. 

10 years ago I had to have a fuel injector replaced in a car. 50 miles later the car caught fire, due to the fuel pipe working lose off the new injector and squirting fuel everywhere. 

Unlucky but it wouldn't take much for a new connection to not quite have been made fast and for the vibrations to have worked things free.

40 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well there are clearly 4 options:

- Possibly related 

- Possibly unrelated 

- Impossibly related 

- Impossibly unrelated 

It gives them something to go on for now, although as it's the same ship, with the same engine bay, with the same crew using the same tools and fuel my inner-Poirot suggests the former is most likely. Ed. 

Unhelpful! And what do the bottom 2 options even mean?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bekkia said:

Unhelpful

Maybe, but as we are doing wild speculation I thought I'd have a go too (on another miserable, rainy day in pre-revolution France). 

Option 3 means 'unexpectedly or surprisingly linked to the previous two fires' (something they didn't expect to discover in common) and option 4 means 'surprisingly not linked' (a completely new factor which had not even been suspected possible prior to these three fires).

All we can hope for is that the report and action plan get published before the next one which given the current trend (11-month gap, then 4-month gap) is due sometime at the end of January. Ed. 

Have a look at the wording here. Most recent incident is a machinery space fire, the previous incident a catastrophic engine failure. Possibly significant wording choices there.

Screenshot_20181216-142156.thumb.png.bc6a5c44eea6faa49fddc93e48291eff.png

• Thanks 1

The engines in w class must be underpowered thus after a few good of reving high they are starting to fail early like your car would if u booted it every where perhaps sky has the most hours on the clock so has more problems.so the only solution is to reengine but who will pay ?

On 19/12/2018 at 10:58, eagleeye said:

The engines in w class must be underpowered thus after a few good of reving high they are starting to fail early like your car would if u booted it every where perhaps sky has the most hours on the clock so has more problems.so the only solution is to reengine but who will pay ?

But why would only one ship have the issue? And the engine that had the issue this time had very few operating hours on it.

Of course we don't actually know that the engine was the source of the fire this time. Just that it was a fire in the engine room.

They are running a foot passenger service this morning using a charter vessel. Anyone know what vessel is being used?

6 hours ago, bekkia said:

But why would only one ship have the issue? And the engine that had the issue this time had very few operating hours on it.

Of course we don't actually know that the engine was the source of the fire this time. Just that it was a fire in the engine room.

They are running a foot passenger service this morning using a charter vessel. Anyone know what vessel is being used?

It’s a catamaran CRC Gladiator, which turns out to be ex-Scoot 1 from our old friends Scoot Ferries.

Since it only takes 12 passengers it’s hardly an adequate replacement for a W class. But then again, since it will by definition only be running in rough conditions, it will presumably only be the hardiest commuters who will want to take it.

It’s Lymington stop is at Town Quay, so not ideal for anyone wanting a train connection.