Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Smart ships

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

This report from the BBC may be of interest. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-46540862

Ed

Yeah I watched that, interesting thing is we've been discussing this tech for two years on BFE. The freight ship highlighted was berthed next to Pride of York last Friday, the rotating sails didn't look out of place at all. One thing for me though, I wish the article had mentioned the positive environmental impact the use of LNG is having and the growing use of battery power... which Honfleur will use in conjunction with gas. 

The bubble system is clever but how to you keep the holes from getting clogged up when the system is off?

When I had a small yacht it was necessary to remove the log paddle wheel impeller if the boat was not being used for a day or so as it was a magnet for any migrating water life looking for a new home plus of course weed growth.

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

The bubble system is clever but how to you keep the holes from getting clogged up when the system is off?

When I had a small yacht it was necessary to remove the log paddle wheel impeller if the boat was not being used for a day or so as it was a magnet for any migrating water life looking for a new home plus of course weed growth.

Possibly the new paints which repel sea life growth?

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Indeed.  The challenge is always to see how quickly you can replace impeller with blanking plug so that as little water comes in as possible!!

I used tp put grease on mine.

Problem with bubbles is that there will be holes in the hull and marine life gets stuck in holes. maybe further up the pipes unless they are made of or plated with copper. Can't seem to find anything online referring to possible clogging.

Maybe the vessel should be fitted with a mechanical sneezing system...

I don't know of any manufacturer of large marine air lubrication systems who use any form of impeller. They use blown air through strategic holes in the hull to create a uniform constant layer of specifically sized bubbles. Each design is bespoke. There are about 4 or 5 on the market now although the Meyer Werft and Mitsubishi systems seem to be the most popular on cruise ships.

I don't think there was any suggestion that the bubble systems would use an impeller. It was just an example of an underwater working device getting quickly clogged up by fouling build up when not in use. Marine life will attach to just about anything, including anti fouling coatings. (and look at all those whales wih barnacles all over them!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cvabishop said:

I don't think there was any suggestion that the bubble systems would use an impeller. It was just an example of an underwater working device getting quickly clogged up by fouling build up when not in use. Marine life will attach to just about anything, including anti fouling coatings. (and look at all those whales wih barnacles all over them!)

Colin, you're magazine has possibly ran a story on this but have a look at Nanotech Marine based in Cornwall, they're trialling their own product of nano anti foul coating which is supposed to be so slippery nothing will ever attach to it, not even the bio film which begins almost immediately. It's only for small vessels at the moment, yachts, motorboats etc but they're planning to trial it on larger craft.

It'll probably cost a fair bit but over time a private boat owner could save a few bob in terms of yearly boat lifting, yard time etc.

On 16/12/2018 at 00:48, jonno said:

Colin, you're magazine has possibly ran a story on this but have a look at Nanotech Marine based in Cornwall, they're trialling their own product of nano anti foul coating which is supposed to be so slippery nothing will ever attach to it, not even the bio film which begins almost immediately. It's only for small vessels at the moment, yachts, motorboats etc but they're planning to trial it on larger craft.

It'll probably cost a fair bit but over time a private boat owner could save a few bob in terms of yearly boat lifting, yard time etc.

and depending on how it works, presumably better for the environment than traditional anti-foulings that slowly dissolve/flake off over time.

and depending on how it works, presumably better for the environment than traditional anti-foulings that slowly dissolve/flake off over time

Indeed, all those thousands of pleasure craft in the Solent and elsewhere slowly leaching copper based antifouling into the water. At the marina I used to keep my boat fishing was forbidden.

One of the problems with 'slippery' coatings is to actually get them to stick to the hull! I see the Nanotech antifoul only works on fast boats at the moment as speed is needed to wash the growth off the hull so it obviously still accumulates but is relatively easily 'wiped' off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

Indeed, all those thousands of pleasure craft in the Solent and elsewhere slowly leaching copper based antifouling into the water. At the marina I used to keep my boat fishing was forbidden.

One of the problems with 'slippery' coatings is to actually get them to stick to the hull! I see the Nanotech antifoul only works on fast boats at the moment as speed is needed to wash the growth off the hull so it obviously still accumulates but is relatively easily 'wiped' off.

Ah, gotcha... I think there's a magic number for ships too using the new silicon based stuff and ALS, 14 knots I believe.

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Barfleur can. On the downhill stretches at least. 😀 Ed. 

...And the wind behind her. Oh that's a different thread, sorry!