Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

P&O - Major incident declared in Scotland

Oh dear.  Presumably the need to declare a major incident must be either to do with spillage of something nasty, or because people have been hurt (?)

Well, that would be routine, but isn’t normally accompanied by declaration of a major incident.  The latter implies need for the emergency services.

Police Scotland said it had been called out after reports of a "number of vehicles" having overturned on the ferry.

"During a choppy sailing, there has been a movement of vehicles on the car deck and this has caused around six vehicles to tip over onto their side," it said in a statement.

"Due to the movement on the deck, there are a number of passengers confined to vehicles.

"We are able to confirm all 52 passengers and 56 crew on board are safe and well and no-one has any injuries."

Must have been a frightening experience but the most important comment is the last one

Chris

• Like 1

" During a choppy crossing".........that must be the understatement of the year😅

Just please all are safe and uninjured...Good news at least

• Like 1

Seems to imply that the incident happened when people were in their cars, which I can’t quite understand.  How can the ship encounter vehicle-toppling conditions whilst also being in a situation where passengers are allowed back onto the vehicle decks?  Doesn’t make sense.

• Confused 1

Good question.  You’d have to suspect they can’t have been, looking at those pictures.  But that would be a serious matter for P&O I’d have thought, if that were the case.  In terms of P&O’s procedures, if the vehicles weren’t chained in the conditions we’ve had, and if passengers were allowed onto the vehicle deck before it was safe to let them on, then who knows what the implications would be.  They are both pretty fundamental procedures when it comes to safety.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Good question.  You’d have to suspect they can’t have been, looking at those pictures.  But that would be a serious matter for P&O I’d have thought, if that were the case.  In terms of P&O’s procedures, if the vehicles weren’t chained in the conditions we’ve had, and if passengers were allowed onto the vehicle deck before it was safe to let them on, then who knows what the implications would be.  They are both pretty fundamental procedures when it comes to safety.

Yes, and we know from the loss of the Riverdance that the trailers were chained down on there and were still in place when the ship was on its side on the beach.

Edited by captjack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

Seems to imply that the incident happened when people were in their cars, which I can’t quite understand.  How can the ship encounter vehicle-toppling conditions whilst also being in a situation where passengers are allowed back onto the vehicle decks?  Doesn’t make sense.

The incident happened at 0730 which suggests that the toppling may have happened whilst the Endeavour was docked.  Must have been some wind. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

The incident happened at 0730 which suggests that the toppling may have happened whilst the Endeavour was docked.  Must have been some wind. 

Ah.  Yes, that makes sense, thanks.  A strong gust while waiting to disembark.

Pictures did show one of the trucks that had toppled next to a low point in the hull that could have funelled wind through it and started a domino effect. But yes, some serious wind to do that I reckon 

1 hour ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Pictures did show one of the trucks that had toppled next to a low point in the hull that could have funelled wind through it and started a domino effect. But yes, some serious wind to do that I reckon 

Latest on BBC says it happened mid-crossing which makes a bit more sense..

"Lorry driver Niall Mcerlean said "all the wrecking took place" about halfway through the journey."

Maybe they were not literally trapped in their cars but couldn’t disembark as the car decks were blocked ? Also who in their right mind would go to the car deck during a crossing like this ? 

Well, "No-one was badly hurt but some people were stuck in vehicles" doesn't leave much room for doubt.  Fact is, if it is true that this incident took place at sea rather than in harbour then P&O has a lot of questions to answer about the extent to which safety procedures were properly followed.  No chaining and passengers in their cars at sea cannot have any legitimate explanation.  If the incident took place in port then that is another matter, but the reports seem to indicate otherwise. 

She was back to work last night so can't be too bad? Think Epsilon was sidelined for a few days when her load "slipped" a few years ago. This confined to vehicles term is just odd though..more in link.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/cars-crushed-and-lorries-tossed-about-like-toys-on-larne-to-cairnryan-ferry-37639963.html

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Gareth said:

No chaining and passengers in their cars at sea cannot have any legitimate explanation.

All ferries have a Cargo Securing Manual specific to that vessel approved by various authorities, on some vessels chaining of certain types of vehicles is not required due to other design factors.  I'm sure the MAIB will be looking at Causeway's Cargo Securing Manual and if the procedures were correctly followed.

The Belfast Telegraph indicates it was a few lorry drivers trapped in their vehicles.  I know for a fact that on some short crossings, and some longer ones including Channel crossings, lorry drivers hide in their cabs so they can sleep in their own beds.   What are the crew to do if the lorry drivers are actively hiding from them?   I know P&O ban lorry drivers that have been caught remaining in their vehicles during the crossing.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2018 at 11:48, Timmy said:

All ferries have a Cargo Securing Manual specific to that vessel approved by various authorities, on some vessels chaining of certain types of vehicles is not required due to other design factors.  I'm sure the MAIB will be looking at Causeway's Cargo Securing Manual and if the procedures were correctly followed.

The Belfast Telegraph indicates it was a few lorry drivers trapped in their vehicles.  I know for a fact that on some short crossings, and some longer ones including Channel crossings, lorry drivers hide in their cabs so they can sleep in their own beds.   What are the crew to do if the lorry drivers are actively hiding from them?   I know P&O ban lorry drivers that have been caught remaining in their vehicles during the crossing.

Also worth remembering that the practice of staying in a lorry cab (or any vehicle) while at sea is illegal.

With regard to the incident itself its probably best to wait until the investigation is complete rather than speculating on whether cargo was adequately lashed for the conditions, but the North Channel can be quite rough at the best of times - especially on the Scottish side.  Some of the furniture onboard was damaged as well so this was more than just a choppy crossing.  There have been some accounts describing the vessel taking a "dip" which sounds a lot like what sometimes happens near the entrance to Loch Ryan itself near Corsewall Point, even in very calm weather.  The main thing is everybody is OK.

• Like 1