kenw

LATEST: £46,6m BF charter for no-deal Brexit

HM gov has signed a £46.6m charter deal with BF to provide extra capacity in case of no deal.

Details here from BBC

Brittany Ferries told the BBC it was contracted to add 19 weekly return sailings to three of its routes: Roscoff to Plymouth, Cherbourg to Poole and Le Havre to Portsmouth.

How will it work? Which ships? When?

Will these sailings be priced or labelled in some specific way? Will freight customers still pay regular rates? What about pax? Presumably HMG wants all the vehicle decks used for freight?

Brittany Ferries told the BB.textClipping

I read there could be an extra 19 sailings a week with services doubling on the Le Havre route. Does this mean the BDS will be retained or are they going to find another ship PDQ 

40 minutes ago, d2frs said:

Will they be freight only or will they carry car passengers as well?

Personal view, but I would suspect a lot if not all of the extra sailings would be freight only. If there is a backlog of freight then passengers would get in the way and best leave them to the previously advertised sailings (albeit with changed times)

On 29/12/2018 at 05:43, kenw said:

HM gov has signed a £46.6m charter deal with BF to provide extra capacity in case of no deal.

Details here from BBC

Brittany Ferries told the BBC it was contracted to add 19 weekly return sailings to three of its routes: Roscoff to Plymouth, Cherbourg to Poole and Le Havre to Portsmouth.

How will it work? Which ships? When?

Will these sailings be priced or labelled in some specific way? Will freight customers still pay regular rates? What about pax? Presumably HMG wants all the vehicle decks used for freight?

Brittany Ferries told the BB.textClipping

Cherbourg and Poole means that Barfleur’s days of one crossing a day with several hours idling in France are coming to an end and she will probably be on double rotations again.  Not sure if every day, but expect she wil do more overnight crossings.  I doubt there will be other ships operating, Barfleur will just have to do a lot more work.

Edited by Khaines

How will more crossings help? The number of crossings now cope with the volume of traffic. Is the volume of traffic suddenly going to increase?

• Like 1

How will more crossings help? The number of crossings now cope with the volume of traffic. Is the volume of traffic suddenly going to increase?

Well, it might marginally if Dover traffic is re routed to Western Channel ports but this will mean that the Dover vessels will be running at under capacity.

The only point of the extra crosings is to draw traffic away from the Dover route to mitigate customs inspections delays. See my post on the other thread.

40 minutes ago, eddy said:

Of course it will increase, the Prime Minister said so .

My concern is how much this will affect the existing timetable.  I commute France to UK to fit in with my shift pattern.   Crossing to Poole is a regular run for me, if the timetables are going to be messed around I need to know now so I can make other arrangements if necessary.

Bl*** brexit.  Isnt time to just stop this nonsense?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, d2frs said:

My concern is how much this will affect the existing timetable.  I commute France to UK to fit in with my shift pattern.   Crossing to Poole is a regular run for me, if the timetables are going to be messed around I need to know now so I can make other arrangements if necessary.

Bl*** brexit.  Isnt time to just stop this nonsense?

Yes!

it is nothing short of corruption to award a company that has no ships has not carried any freight and has no definite plan £14m to increase its non existent schedules. Even when we stay in the EU they get to keep about £4m.

53 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

Yes!

it is nothing short of corruption to award a company that has no ships has not carried any freight and has no definite plan £14m to increase its non existent schedules. Even when we stay in the EU they get to keep about £4m.

Eh?? Seabourne are in six countries, have been carrying freight by sea land and air since 1962 and have couriers and supply chains. The Ramsgate-Ostend service will be a new one and has been talked about for over two years. It's one of the reasons why Ramsgate have invested so much on the port.

The £14m is a bit less than what Balearia are getting for starting a currently non existent ferry service from Gijon to St Nazaire.

I love it, the EU can pay erroneous subsidies to shipping companies and call it "Motorway of the Seas" and that's ok. The U.K. gives funding to a well established group which has been around for over half a century and it's corruption...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, jonno said:

Eh?? Seabourne are in six countries, have been carrying freight by sea land and air since 1962 and have couriers and supply chains. The Ramsgate-Ostend service will be a new one and has been talked about for over two years. It's one of the reasons why Ramsgate have invested so much on the port. 

The £14m is a bit less than what Balearia are getting for starting a currently non existent ferry service from Gijon to St Nazaire. 

I love it, the EU can pay erroneous subsidies to shipping companies and call it "Motorway of the Seas" and that's ok. The U.K. gives funding to a well established group which has been around for over half a century and it's corruption... 

I think your googling has let you down on this one... Seaborne Freight (not Seabourne) are a new company set up by ex-Seafrance/MFL management.

3 hours ago, hhvferry said:

I think your googling has let you down on this one... Seaborne Freight (not Seabourne) are a new company set up by ex-Seafrance/MFL management.

Ah... Thanks hhv.... Sorry John.

It's not a bloke named Eric by any chance is it?

2 hours ago, jonno said:

Could Chris Grayling have made the same mistake? 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, eddy said:

Thanks a lot @eddy...Ah eh la... off to give me 'ead a wobble if I'm doin' the same as Grayling!

Translation... Must do better.

10 hours ago, eddy said:

Do you really think Chris Grayling has a clue about any of it?  Some civil servant, thinking about his knighthood, will have said "We need to do this" and then was sent off to arrange it.

• Like 1

Poole - Cherbourg timetable has been updated today. 3 rotations per day from 29th March until 12th May. Affects a mini-break I will be taking, so as I'm going with a group, we may slip by 1 day to get daytime sailings.

18 hours ago, Trun said:

Poole - Cherbourg timetable has been updated today. 3 rotations per day from 29th March until 12th May. Affects a mini-break I will be taking, so as I'm going with a group, we may slip by 1 day to get daytime sailings.

There is at least one BF customer on their Twitter feed who is unhappy with the timetable changes. It'll be interesting to see what other feedback they get in the coming months as other people find their holiday plans disrupted, especially if it turns out the changes are not actually necessary until later in the year, or not at all. Maybe that £46m will be needed to compensate their disgruntled customers. 😀 Ed.