kenw

LATEST: £46,6m BF charter for no-deal Brexit

18 hours ago, Paully said:

She might be old and the entertainment crap... but she`s comfortable and convenient and avoids the Goddam M5...rather you than me Neil🤣😂

I believe (from a previous post) that Neil didn't have a choice in this matter!😉  My own boss has decided that the Plymouth run is "too far for you to drive these days", although we drive further on the French side to our usual destination (also she likes to have an afternoon browse around Gunwharf Quays with a supper at Loch Fyne)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aiden said:

The Plymouth to roscoff and the le harve to Portsmouth routes timetables have now been updated

I haven't had a chance to look, but is anyone able to summarise the impact?

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

I haven't had a chance to look, but is anyone able to summarise the impact?

Bretagne is running daily now with the exception of thursdays. Before it was a more relaxed schedule to St Malo m

I'm beginning to think there may have been an error in the BBC report where it stated:

"Brittany Ferries told the BBC it was contracted to add 19 weekly return sailings to three of its routes: Roscoff to Plymouth, Cherbourg to Poole and Le Havre to Portsmouth - a 50% increase on its current schedule."

BF has now increased its services by 50% as promised on each of the three routes - but only nine additional return crossings are needed to meet the 50% target.

Other media, eg Sky news and a number of newspapers, also quote 19 return sailings.

Neither the number of sailings nor the 50% increase  are mentioned in the statement made by Chris Grayling on 7 January. But the BF press release on 28 December starts with "Nineteen weekly return-sailings...."

But if BF is to provide a further 10 return-crossings, how might BF do so?

All rather curious.

Potentially via the use of freight only sailings? It may also be that they are only committing to some of the sailings now and additional could be added/confirmed in the event of a no deal.

Maybe to provide backup for Condor in the event of bad weather, but it would be logical to use her if possible. I think she has quite a reasonable capacity. I saw her docked in St Helier once and think it was unaccompanied trailers on board as is usual in the CIs. Ed

On 19/01/2019 at 08:49, Gareth said:

I wonder why the enhanced sailings stop on 12 May?

Has there been any news on sailings post 12 May yet? I'm looking at Le Havre in September (Early for meI know, but just planning ferries and connecting trains), so would be good to get a idea of the crossings.

6 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Has there been any news on sailings post 12 May yet? I'm looking at Le Havre in September (Early for meI know, but just planning ferries and connecting trains), so would be good to get a idea of the crossings.

That's the problem, we won't know for a while - if we have hard immediate brexit, the revised timetable is likely to continue, if we have soft or delayed brexit then the future sailings should not change - however we won't know until closer to the time - if you want certainty use Ouistreham.

1 minute ago, David Williams said:

That's the problem, we won't know for a while - if we have hard immediate brexit, the revised timetable is likely to continue, if we have soft or delayed brexit then the future sailings should not change - however we won't know until closer to the time - if you want certainty use Ouistreham.

Very true.

I would use Ouistreham, but as a footie with suitcases Le Havre station is closer to the terminal

59 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Very true.

I would use Ouistreham, but as a footie with suitcases Le Havre station is closer to the terminal

Well book something that suits you now, cross your fingers for the next couple of months and then if it changes demand an upgrade to a cabin etc. Ed. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

I would suggest, if you want to be on the safe side, booking a sailing which still exists on the revised schedule (for example, Friday night sailing ex. Portsmouth) 

• Thanks 1

Poole Cherbourg timetable now updated for April - presumably the expected delay in Brexit will not change anything. For those who like days out at sea there are some nice possibilities - out from Poole at 08:30 arrive Cherbourg 14:00.....off and then get straight back on to leave at 15:30 arriving back at a nice time of 19:00, or out from Poole at 13:45 arriving into Cherbourg at 19:15.....quick drink in the bar and then back onboard for a 22:15 departure and a nice overnighter ( assuming cabin availability ) arriving in Poole at 07:00. 

Andy

According to BBC News BF have said that they will not change the revised schedule even if Brexit is delayed, apparently the Government did not make any provision for a possible delay in their contract with BF so will have to pay from the 29th. If there is a delay then will be some very pleasant lightly loaded sailings to enjoy between Poole and Cherbourg........and the good thing is that BF should not be out of pocket 🙂

Andy