Northy

Government charter

I can see the logic in protesting about the decision from Eurotunnel's point of view and their capacity to transport the freight is obvious. But they must understand that part of the strategy is to spread the load and reduce the pressure on south-east England (and southern Kent in particular) hence only a small award to the Ramsgate operation and far more to DFDS and BF with their wider networks of ships and ports. Ed

Oh Neil don’t polute this forum with him!  The DFE forum has never stopped having to put up with his constant fantasising ever since it started.  Surprised they never got on top of that, but now I get the impression he is regarded with affection as the laughing stock to cheer everybody up!

On the subject of which, the Dover forum has been reporting that there is activity afoot that could suggest Seabourne Freight might be about to commence service.  New portakabins at the Ramsgate terminal, and job adverts in Ostend newspapers.

• Like 1

Any employment is good news and it gives Chris Grayling somewhere to go to now the owners of Calais port have banned him from there.

• Haha 1

On 01/01/2019 at 10:00, straightfeed said:

The UK is presently a member of the EU. Is the UK Government breaking any EU rules about subsidising business unfairly by bank rolling ferry companies operations.

Surely, ferry companies should stand alone and raise capital from non governmental bodies to take part in this commercial operation. Guarantee support sure but pay for it before it happens must irk other operators who could have chartered in ships and offered a competitive rate for the work. 

I would have thought this would have been a "banker" for an operator to raise capital for "wet leasing" any operator around the world. Without HM Government shelling out a penny.

I wonder if the EU is running their sticky little fingers through the fine print on this deal.

Head down.

Stu

Told you so

SFD

• Confused 1

On 06/02/2019 at 02:16, straightfeed said:

Told you so 

SFD

HMG allocating £800m and appointing Lawyers to oppose/pay compensation to cover any legal trouble from Le Shuttle being left out of the honey pot!

SFD

Our desperate government is throwing our money at every misguided scheme available at the moment so a couple of million or so for Thanet council should calm nerves. It won't help the country but so what it might help to retain a Tory MP in the area.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Does this mean that they now have to put all the sand back? Ed. 

No, it’ll happen naturally.  Half of it will probably already be back by 29 March! 😉

Well if the government want to find an alternative option my Cabin-kids are willing to discuss a deal. They already have two viable ferries plying back and forth across the living room carrying a range of freight and tourist traffic. Ed

DSC_0912.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Don’t tempt them Ed - they’d probably take you up on it and then you’d get embroiled in the next HMG controversy!

Nice set of models though - not that you’ve indoctrinated the Cabin Kids!  What ferries are they modelled on?

Well both were built in Germany back in around 2003 and delivered on time and to budget. Oh, the good old days! 

The only worry is that one used to operate across the Solent to the Isle of Wight and there have been problems with engine-room fires. 

Ed

DSC_0913.JPG

I see HMG have finally given up on Seaborne due Irish backing mysteriously and suddenly dropping out. I wonder if they'll now approach P&O at Tilbury or Stena sailing from Harwich?

How much do they charge for the motorhome with roof box towing a neddy wagon?

Oh and do they offer anything like club voyage?

6 minutes ago, jonno said:

How much do they charge for the motorhome with roof box towing a neddy wagon?

Oh and do they offer anything like club voyage?

I'll get you a quote but the new website is still a bit glitchy right now. As for upgrades they have a special place reserved for EU officials. They call it 'Tusk Class' but to the rest of the population it's just the heads. Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know why the Government keep referring to the need for extra ferry capacity when it is actually aditional port capacity and marshalling space that may be needed. Just another example of incompetence I suppose.

• Like 1

Actually, probably more to do with border checks infrastructure (which they’ve only had two and a half years to build! 🙄) but yes, probably marshalling space too.  As you say, utterly incompetent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I don't know why the Government keep referring to the need for extra ferry capacity when it is actually aditional port capacity and marshalling space that may be needed. Just another example of incompetence I suppose.

Well you’ve got Rosyth sitting empty and Newcastle must have space for a proportion of the day.