Northy

Government charter

And, just to add another twist, there is speculation in the Dover forum that Arklow’s motive for getting involved was to create an “Irish only” landbridge through to the continent from kent.  I have no idea whether those claims have any substance, but if true, could explain Arklow’s “involvement” (if, indeed, there was any).

And he actually makes the point that seems to have escaped the politicians and the meeja that it isn't more ferries that are needed but more port capacity!

I see that the court case brought by Eurotunnel against the Department for Transport is starting today - 1st March-  alleging that the awards of contracts to B/F and DFDS was done in an irregular way without proper tendering procedures, and that if the case is successful those contracts might yet be overturned. 

2 hours ago, wortley said:

I see that the court case brought by Eurotunnel against the Department for Transport is starting today - 1st March-  alleging that the awards of contracts to B/F and DFDS was done in an irregular way without proper tendering procedures, and that if the case is successful those contracts might yet be overturned. 

As you were... The government has given Eurotunnel a slice of the cake too.  Another £33 million we taxpayers are stumping up. 

Isn't this the same Eurotunnel that had a significant debt just wiped clean? I thought the point of these contracts was to move traffic away from Dover/Folkestone/M20 Carpark

Exactly! If they hadn't gone down the Ramsgate route back in December and had said we want, and need, extra capacity anywhere EXCEPT Kent then Eurotunnel would have had no grounds to challenge the decision. Ed. 

As P&O said on a radio advert yesterday... 

"You can't play hide and seek on a plane, or do cartwheels on a train!"

(slightly dubious marketing message there. I expect to find hundreds of kids playing hide and seek all over the friggin place on the Pride of Dover, and cartwheeling all over Bretagne this summer now!) :)

27 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Does anyone know the exact share of the initial £46.6M BF receive?

BF did get £46.6M according to this, other companies got differing amounts.  

So, what exactly is Eurotunnel planning on doing? Do they have enough extra trains to run additional services? Pretty sure I heard/read the tunnel is run under capacity. Surely additional freight trains (not run by ET) is better than extra lorry shuttles?

It doesn't matter a bit what if anything they were planning to do. The case rested on the fact that the tendering process was not carried out correctly.

In the report the crucial paragraph is 

"However, had it gone to court, Eurotunnel was going to argue that the DfT had ample time for a full, public tender process, and could have foreseen all B****t eventualities from at least the date on which Article 50 was triggered in 2017."

t seems that the government - if one can dignify it with such a name - must have decided on that argument that if they'd gone to court they'd have lost.

To win this case Eurotunnel would not have to prove they would have tendered merely that were prevented form having the chance.

I note Mrs May says she has full confidence in her minister - could that be because he is one of the few that hasn't threatened to resign?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Millsy said:

It doesn't matter a bit what if anything they were planning to do. The case rested on the fact that the tendering process was not carried out correctly.

In the report the crucial paragraph is 

"However, had it gone to court, Eurotunnel was going to argue that the DfT had ample time for a full, public tender process, and could have foreseen all B****t eventualities from at least the date on which Article 50 was triggered in 2017."

t seems that the government - if one can dignify it with such a name - must have decided on that argument that if they'd gone to court they'd have lost.

To win this case Eurotunnel would not have to prove they would have tendered merely that were prevented form having the chance.

I note Mrs May says she has full confidence in her minister - could that be because he is one of the few that hasn't threatened to resign?

I wish they would sack him - wasn't he also responsible for a failed £500m probation contract? So much for the party of financial responsibility!

Edited by penguin

Eurotunnel's court case was not pursued because the government gave in. How long before Stena, P&O or a freight shipping company picks it up and puts in a claim of their own ?  Monday ? 

Well, we should know within a week, I guess, how long this strategy will last and whether BF needs to add further sailings for the rest of the summer. If a resolution is found then disruption should be kept to a minimum and if not then we are looking at another couple of years before anything significant changes and BF can stick with their original timetable. Ed. 

I like the part which say's that BF can sell their extra sailings back to the market... Really, what market? If it was there, the sailings would already exist.

If you subtract the Seaborne money then add the compensation paid to Eurotunnel this little kneejerk operation has already cost the tax payer double.

Personally I think there's a few down at Horseferry Road tieing their Windsors a little too tightly...