Jump to content
quibby

Normandie not sailing as economie

Recommended Posts

I found this on the french website as a PDF brochure, showing Normandie will not be branded as economie.

 

 

Screenshot_20181229-151411.png

Edited by quibby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That also seems to imply that one rotation per week (ex-Portsmouth on Thursday and ex-Le Havre on a Friday) won't be the Normandie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirms that BDS will still be sailing as an Economie ship.

Also rather striking, looking at those schedules - Normandie will be going from her current 20 sailings per week down to 12 sailings per week.  Time to slow down in old age! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Confirms that BDS will still be sailing as an Economie ship.

Also rather striking, looking at those schedules - Normandie will be going from her current 20 sailings per week down to 12 sailings per week.  Time to slow down in old age! 😉

Or used for extra freight only sailings for the possible no-deal brexit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That’s the BDS crew-change sailing Jim.

Makes sense - but does that therefore mean Normandie will be lying idle (if we ignore the additional sailings bit)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jim said:

Makes sense - but does that therefore mean Normandie will be lying idle (if we ignore the additional sailings bit)

Yes.  (Unless there is a need to enhance the Le Havre service).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If the extra Brexit sailings are required - could Etretat do them alone - and serve all 3 UK ports?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

 If the extra Brexit sailings are required - could Etretat do them alone - and serve all 3 UK ports?

Good thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

 If the extra Brexit sailings are required - could Etretat do them alone - and serve all 3 UK ports?

The extra capacity needs to start at the end of March. Mind you, that is when Penguin might be available. They could shift the trailer only stuff onto her !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 years ago…  with P&O and Irish Ferries. Irish Ferries Terminal is now a new urban park.

Normandie seems to be the same size as Pride Of Le Havre or Pride Of Portsmouth

21731405_2171499533076753_7288050717926310085_o.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice pictures of both the Normandie and the pride of Le Havre, I imagine that they deliberately chose to have a practice before they got the new coat of paint in case of accidents. I imagine that the solid bits of blue at the front will turn white after the respray.

Note the men in the boat next to Normandie, they take the ropes and climb up the poles with them !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What on earth is that giant multi-coloured thing in the background in the first picture?!  Looks like a giant teenybopper bracelet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Williams said:

The extra capacity needs to start at the end of March. Mind you, that is when Penguin might be available. They could shift the trailer only stuff onto her !

Penguin?  You mean Pelican?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gareth said:

What on earth is that giant multi-coloured thing in the background in the first picture?!  Looks like a giant teenybopper bracelet!

This is the "Container Arch".  A triumphal Arch for the 500 years of the creation of Le Havre by the king François 1st

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1600&bih=783&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=nNIsXPGGC6eO1fAPlpuXiAQ&q=catene+le+havre&oq=catene+le+havre&gs_l=img.12...0.0..62035...0.0..0.0.0.......1......gws-wiz-img.N9wU-tcutTs

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard Plymouth city council are planning to do a similar thing for Mayflower 400 - covering the entire entrance to Plymouth Sound with 100ft high balloons of the Pilgrim Fathers 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LHCity said:

A triumphal Arch for the 500 years of the creation of Le Havre by the king François 1st

I'm sure he'd approve. It's so reminiscent of all the other architectural works of the period. Money well spent clearly. Ed. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David Williams said:

The extra capacity needs to start at the end of March. Mind you, that is when Penguin might be available. They could shift the trailer only stuff onto her !

Back in 2017 BF made back to back charter extension announcements, there's been no word since then. MN has been sold to Sogestran who have said a couple of times that they want her back. As of now Pelican is still due to return to her parent company at the end of March 2019, the freight timetable to Bilbao from Poole ends then.

If Contentin was on a five year charter to Stena, as was originally believed, she would have returned during November 2018. I have my own thoughts on that particular transaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LHCity said:

15 years ago…  with P&O and Irish Ferries. Irish Ferries Terminal is now a new urban park.

Normandie seems to be the same size as Pride Of Le Havre or Pride Of Portsmouth

21731405_2171499533076753_7288050717926310085_o.jpg

Nice photos @LHCity, merci beaucoup !

There is about a 20% difference in size, Normandie is listed as 27,542 grt whilst the “Olau” twins are 33,336. Deceptive because they are about the same length but the Prides were taller and bulkier, less tapered at the top.

Of course, Val de Loire was a similar size to the Prides and in Portsmouth side by side there was a noticeable difference. The extra internal space generally went into cabins - Normandie has about 760 berths whilst VdL/Prides were about 1600.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seashore said:

Nice photos @LHCity, merci beaucoup !

There is about a 20% difference in size, Normandie is listed as 27,542 grt whilst the “Olau” twins are 33,336. Deceptive because they are about the same length but the Prides were taller and bulkier, less tapered at the top.

Of course, Val de Loire was a similar size to the Prides and in Portsmouth side by side there was a noticeable difference. The extra internal space generally went into cabins - Normandie has about 760 berths whilst VdL/Prides were about 1600.

On a similar note. To me Honfleur is bascally a big Armorique with an extra deck.However, Honfleur has a larger GRT than Pont Aven, and Pont Aven feels significantly spacious to me (in terms of passenger space) - even though she crams in over 650 cabins. Honfleur will have around only 1/3rd of that in terms of cabins, so I am expecting her to feel rather spacious indeed on the inside,,,

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×