Jump to content
quibby

Normandie not sailing as economie

Recommended Posts

The bds is economic and she does ok on comments off passengers and she does the Spanish runs also,cannot see what some people,not all have against the economic service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LHCity said:

 

why do you want to make an economic standing on this route and not on other routes ? More quality on Le Havre / Portsmouth route can make it more interesting ?

 

Good point... send an economie ship to Cherbourg :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Good point... send an economie ship to Cherbourg :D

I hope your tin hat is at the ready 😲🤣

Edited by Paully
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Good point... send an economie ship to Cherbourg :D

The price may not reflect it, but the facilities on the Normandie Express make a pretty good stab at being 'economie' class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

The price may not reflect it, but the facilities on the Normandie Express make a pretty good stab at being 'economie' class.

You are however paying to cross the channel in an expedited manner on a craft which will sail past everything except bunkering vessels...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rogerpatenall said:

The price may not reflect it, but the facilities on the Normandie Express make a pretty good stab at being 'economie' class.

You wouldn't call Concorde economy would you - and she didn't even have a small bar or baby changing facilities! :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hf_uk said:

You wouldn't call Concorde economy would you - and she didn't even have a small bar or baby changing facilities! :)

I note the smiley, HF - but the catering on board, the lounges at both LHR and JFK, the ease of boarding from both those lounges and the efforts of BA staff at LHR and (less so) Air France at CDG to expedite the passage through immigration were all true class. I was lucky enough to travel quite frequently on her - particularly eastbound, and I do not approach a NEx crossing with the same sense of excitement. And really it isn't that much faster in time than the Stena Normandy on its (daytime) Summer schedule from Southampton in the old days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The notion that NEX is "fast" is only marginal.  She takes 3 hours to do a crossing that a conventional ferry can do in around 4 hours.  The crossing form Southampton obviously used to take longer - not sure what Normandy used to take, but the Townsend Thoresen ships used to do Southampton-Cherbourg in 5 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the NEX.  My ferry trips to me are always greatly appreciated, I do them for the rides, found NEX great fun, enjoyed her immensely.  My only issues with her are her lack of outdoor space, but no issue at all with her catering.  I spend most of my money in the shop anyway. Foodwise, quite happy with a sandwich and a latte, fills a gap!   She is an occasional “treat” for me as I have to rely on public transport to get to Portsmouth and home.

Maybe her timetable will be given a change soon...😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just the speed, although it's still quick and would be even quicker if she didn't have to faff around getting into Portsmouth, but it's the timings which I like. They are actually adapted for the passengers' benefit rather than what suits the operator and their freight customers. Plus there is a free video to keep the kids happy and the loading and unloading is relatively quick. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting that we are all picking out different things as defining Cruise Ferry as opposed to Economie. To my mind the key requirement is a proper restaurant which rules out the Amorique !

Therefore I guess, the main requirement of a Cruise ferry is that it has a number of options for everyone to choose from.

I actually like an overnight crossing on the Etretat, however would never choose a daytime crossing (again !)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And as regards NEX, it is quick at getting to Cherbourg, however that is a niche destination, I would use it again if it returns to Ouistreham,

Edited by David Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, David Williams said:

I would use it again if if returns to Ouistreham,

Exactly, or even Le Havre. But for some reason nobody is listening to us. 😒 Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It is interesting that we are all picking out different things as defining Cruise Ferry as opposed to Economie. To my mind the key requirement is a proper restaurant which rules out the Amorique !

Therefore I guess, the main requirement of a Cruise ferry is that it has a number of options for everyone to choose from.

I actually like an overnight crossing on the Etretat, however would never choose a daytime crossing (again !)

 A proper night club/discotheque which plays cheesy music... ABBA, lots of ABBA and Baccara's 'yes sir I can boogie' plus a bloke who can do a decent cover of 'Spanish eyes' and wiggle like Tom Jones...Tidy!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter how we, as individuals, define Economie.  It matters how BF defines it.  And BF does not define it in terms of specific facilities, it defines it in terms of general calibre, comfort and appointment of the ship.  That is why Armorique and Barfleur are classified as Cruise Ferries despite not having some of the facilities as other members of the Cruise fleet.

Economie is just an apology for Etretat, to manage customer expectation down before travelling in her.  Once Etretat has gone, I am sure the Economie branding will disappear.  Maybe not immediately, as they can't suddenly reclassify BDS as a Cruise Ferry having previously called her an Economie ferry.  So disappearance of the brand may wait until BDS has gone.  But BDS is not the reason for its existence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Exactly, or even Le Havre. But for some reason nobody is listening to us. 😒 Ed. 

They are, but for some reason, ignoring views. I can`t understand why they still persevere with it..Its a grade A1/Gift Wrapped, weather restricted gas guzzler that cannot carry freight. Its onboard yield from passengers must be pitifully low (poor shop and eateries etc) ...a bean counters nightmare. Its only possible use must be to try to keep some sort of real or imaginery opposition out (of somewhere)..

Edited by Paully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the comments it looks like there is snobs using bf which I would of thought been below there standards to use.for pity sake it is branded economic for one reason only they do not have facilities what other bf ferries have and nothing else.so why of of this moaning about it.if you don't want to use it DONT.you are not forced to use it.i have been on bds 2 times before and on her again near end of febuary and don't have any worries at all.the meals are good,the bar is fine the cabins are good what more does anyone want?get a life comes to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Reading the comments it looks like there is snobs using bf which I would of thought been below there standards to use.for pity sake it is branded economic for one reason only they do not have facilities what other bf ferries have and nothing else.so why of of this moaning about it.if you don't want to use it DONT.you are not forced to use it.i have been on bds 2 times before and on her again near end of febuary and don't have any worries at all.the meals are good,the bar is fine the cabins are good what more does anyone want?get a life comes to me.

...maybe a little harsh/rude for you to say such a thing in that tone?!  

(Not that I made any of the comments that upset you, I just like to keep things civil on here!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paully said:

Its a grade A1/Gift Wrapped, weather restricted gas guzzler that cannot carry freight.

And all the better for it. 😀

It's for those times when actually arriving is more important than how you get there. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point taken,just it makes me mad when people slag the economic service off,nobody is forced to use it.sorry if I upset anyone,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, I’m not sure where Economie has been slagged off.  There’s just been a discussion about what constitutes it and what doesn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If not economie then the Etretat has been given short shrift.

Like her sisters she is sturdy, pretty reliable and for most ferry operators would be perfectly fine. Visentinis have zero glamour or fancy finishes and as an enthusiast I don't go out of my way to travel on them; but the Etretat is certainly not shabby or uncomfortable and is arguably in better condition than some of her more notable and less economical fleetmates.

The problem with her being fine for most ferry operators is that BF have spent 30 years or more positioning themselves away from that. So the brand is theoretically compromised. But since there is no competition and the economie service is flagged when booking even more than it probably needs to be, does it actually matter? Yes to us, but no it seems to BF.

Edited by hhvferry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason Etretat has featured prominently in the discussion is the factual reality that she is why BF felt the need to introduce the Economie brand.  For exactly the reasons you articulate, hhv, BF felt a need to distance Etretat from their main brand, in order to avoid compromising it.  There’s nothing judgemental about that, it’s just a fact.  And, because of that fact, it is reasonable to speculate on the future of Economie as a brand once Etretat has left the fleet.  

One thing that seems to have become clear with the move of Normandie to Le Havre is that Economie is hardly at all about cheaper pricing.  It’s just about brand preservation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gareth said:

The only reason Etretat has featured prominently in the discussion is the factual reality that she is why BF felt the need to introduce the Economie brand.  For exactly the reasons you articulate, hhv, BF felt a need to distance Etretat from their main brand, in order to avoid compromising it.  There’s nothing judgemental about that, it’s just a fact.  And, because of that fact, it is reasonable to speculate on the future of Economie as a brand once Etretat has left the fleet.  

One thing that seems to have become clear with the move of Normandie to Le Havre is that Economie is hardly at all about cheaper pricing.  It’s just about brand preservation.

With the Economie, within BF, it's also about the Etretat which has so many bad points, like parking on the top deck, which is a nightmare, and the lack of food service, as for the Economie, going with the Tat, Le Havre will still be left with one visit per week from BDS, which is still a Economie, namliy for Spain, as for the rates for crossing on the Normandie, we will have to wait and see when she returns from refit.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....interesting debate particulatly as regards Normandie Express and whether it is economie or not....Fast craft in the past were definitely marketed by other ferry operators as anything other than "economie"!! Take Condor Ferries and Stena Line in the mid 90s. More wealthy consumers paid a premium for speed. Cruise ferries that operated alongside were seen as offering a more value service and on some cases even saw a decline in onboard facilities i e. Restaurants were mothballed / closed. Condor even said the fast ferry was better because you had an individual guaranteed reserved seat!! (unlike on their conventional ferry at the time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×