quibby

Normandie not sailing as economie

BF will definitely change the timetables and presumably publish them in a week or two. I have read that the government will somehow sell the excess capacity on the market if it is not needed, however that would not lead to price stability ! Eurotunnel are complaining already,

Could they possibly have chartered one of the Transmanche ships from DFDS? Their two ship rotation doesn't start until the 1st of May which would allow them to cover the first month of the potential new work while they look for something else and it becomes clearer when exactly Normandie will be free to back up Etretat. I also think that the Transmanche ships are fully compatible with Le Havre. Ed. 

Yes, they are Ed.  Seven Sisters used to operate the route for LD after Norman Spirit was recalled to Dover.

How are the Transmanche twins at rapid turnrounds?  These schedule would require 90-120 minute turnrounds, and I know the bow access in particular to the twins is very narrow.

Then there is the availability of the ships from the point of view of Seine Maritime....

Just now, Gareth said:

Then there is the availability of the ships from the point of view of Seine Maritime....

It's the same French department so that might not be an issue. As to turnaround times their normal summer timetable is a 120 minute schedule.

https://www.dfdsseaways.fr/lignes-ferries/ferries-vers-angleterre/dieppe-newhaven

Ed. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

When does Oscar Wilde become available? 

Oscar Wilde on Le Havre / Portsmouth / Cherbourg ???

Edited by LHCity

1 minute ago, LHCity said:

Oscar Wilde on Le Havre / Portsmouth / Cherbourg ???

Possibly.  Or to Spain, displacing BDS to transfer to Le Havre?

The suggested Le Havre times bring back memories!  They are not dissimilar from the days when Viking Venturer and Viking Valiant operated their Portsmouth-Le Havre-Southampton-Cherbourg-Southampton-Le Havre-Portsmouth 2-day rotations in the late 70s and early 80s.

Back then, the Le Havre times were:

arr 0700 / dep 0900

arr 2130 / dep 2300

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Possibly.  Or to Spain, displacing BDS to transfer to Le Havre?

I think Jonno mentioned something about her needing substantial work if she's to cross the Bay of Biscay so maybe the Le Havre route is more simple but it's a massive passenger capacity increase. And of course the key question is, would they keep the restaurant open or close it and brand her as 'economie'? 😀

Surely the best solution is to minimise the disruption to existing timetables and bring in new tonnage rather than reposition the existing vessels.

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LHCity said:

I Have information about the new schedules of the Portsmouth / Le Havre route:

From the End of March : 2 rounds trips every day.

Schedules in Le Havre :

Arrival 7:30 am / Departure 9:30 am

Arrival 9:30 pm / Departure 11:30 pm

I Don't have schedules in Portsmouth but probably the same.

If these are the Le Havre times, then I would suggest that the Portsmouth times will be something like:

0730 arr / 0930 dep (to Cherbourg)

1400 arr / 1500 dep*

2030 arr (from Cherbourg) / 2300 dep

I’ve starred the middle one, because that’s what the Le Havre times would have to make the afternoon Portsmouth times, but the turnround of 1 hour is implausibly short.  For that reason, in my view, the Le Havre times cannot be quite right.  Maybe an 0900 departure in the morning rather than 0930?

Regarding ships, I suppose there is a other theoretical possibility.  If Armorique was transferred across to Le Havre, then when operating alongside Normandie they would have two ships that could make the most of twin-level loading at each end.  That would help them to get the turnround times down.  But then there would be the question of how Roscoff would be handled.

Just now, LHCity said:

yes it's 9:00 from Le Havre, I was wrong

7:00 / 9:00

Thanks LHC.  In that case - we are almost completely back to Townsend Thoresen days! 😀

The early afternoon Portsmouth call then becomes 1330 arr / 1500 dep, exactly as the Super Vikings used to do.

8 minutes ago, Gareth said:

If these are the Le Havre times, then I would suggest that the Portsmouth times will be something like:

0730 arr / 0930 dep (to Cherbourg)

1400 arr / 1500 dep*

2030 arr (from Cherbourg) / 2300 dep

I’ve starred the middle one, because that’s what the Le Havre times would have to make the afternoon Portsmouth times, but the turnround of 1 hour is implausibly short.  For that reason, in my view, the Le Havre times cannot be quite right.  Maybe an 0900 departure in the morning rather than 0930?

reinforcements are mainly for freight, so it would have been better not to strengthen Cherbourg but to make 3 round trips a day Le Havre / Portsmouth?

Edited by LHCity

If this is right, then it makes me wonder about another possibility.  Could they change Barfleur’s times at Poole back to an overnight departure and teatime return?  If so then Barfleur could provide reciprocal sailings to those provided by the Le Havre ship between Cherbourg and Portsmouth.  Morning departure ex-Cherbourg, lunchtime departure ex-Portsmouth.  Only problem is, that’s exaclty the same schedule that someone said Barfleur did not cope with last time she ran it.

42 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I would have thought they would charter something in, however there is always the Bretagne or Connemara !

If BRETAGNE leaves St Malo for Le Havre / Portsmouth / Cherbourg, which vessel in St Malo ?

If I was to lay a wager, I’d predict either Barfleur (with NEX going to Poole), or Armorique (with a single-level loader replacing her at Roscoff).

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

Bretagne will go to Turkey or the Med before Le Havre in my opinion. 

Why ?

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Bretagne would not cope with 90 minute turnrounds.  It will need a twin-level loader. 

There is a twin-level loader in Portsmouth and Le Havre.

• Confused 1

Then again, the Olau twins managed a schedule of 3 daily sailings in each direction as single-level loaders, so maybe I am talking nonsense (?)