Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

3 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

Sorry to contradict you but the same family/design of engines does not mean same engines. So as far as I am concerned MSM does not have the same engines as PA.

I believe the engines mounted on Arm and Cotentin are V12s rather than in-line like her sister Armorique. (see pictures in link below)

http://www.marine-marchande.net/Reportages/Armorique/0-Armorique.htm

According to MAK's documentation the MAK M43C in-line design has a maximum of 9 cylinders.

https://www.cat.com/en_GB/products/new/power-systems/marine-power-systems/commercial-propulsion-engines/18547468.html

Ok @crechbleiz 

Not sure if it's changed since I checked yesterday but looking at the timetables PA is not due back till May 19th with 1st sailing being from Plymouth to Spain.

If that's the case then does seem a long time for repairs to be done.

1 hour ago, Macc2010 said:

Not sure if it's changed since I checked yesterday but looking at the timetables PA is not due back till May 19th with 1st sailing being from Plymouth to Spain.

If that's the case then does seem a long time for repairs to be done.

The target is still to be back in service on the 12th May, BF have taken the following week off sale as a contingency.

I think it’s a bit disingenuous of BF to remove sailings from sale and then pretend they never existed in claiming that “all sailings are running to schedule”.

Clearly, according to the timetables with the sailings removed from them, they superficially are “all running to schedule”.  But we know that is not the case, and it is only being claimed because a whole load of sailings, on which passengers were booked, apparently no longer exist.  A bit deceitful, methinks.

• Like 5

We are due to depart Cork/Roscoff on June 29th .. if for some reason the PA is still out of service by then (hopefully not) .... I take it that the route will still be covered as it has in the past week or so by the Armorique or another of the fleet ? . I would hate to start having to make other travel plans to get to France at this time !!

10 minutes ago, Geezer said:

We are due to depart Cork/Roscoff on June 29th .. if for some reason the PA is still out of service by then (hopefully not) .... I take it that the route will still be covered as it has in the past week or so by the Armorique or another of the fleet ? . I would hate to start having to make other travel plans to get to France at this time !!

You can't have Armorique !  Some of us are going on her from Plymouth to Roscoff then. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wortley said:

You can't have Armorique !  Some of us are going on her from Plymouth to Roscoff then. 

I think we are more important ... probably paid about 3 times as much as you did :D

I am sure PA will be back by then.  But I’m equally sure that if she isn’t then BF will cover Cork.  Plenty of other Plymouth sailings available to re-route passengers onto, but not so Cork.  There is a gap in the Plymouth schedules that indicates Armorique is going to Cork again this weekend.  (Cork sailing is not being advertised for new bookings, but will be there to accommodate pre-booked traffic.

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I am sure PA will be back by then.  But I’m equally sure that if she isn’t then BF will cover Cork.  Plenty of other Plymouth sailings available to re-route passengers onto, but not so Cork.  There is a gap in the Plymouth schedules that indicates Armorique is going to Cork again this weekend.  (Cork sailing is not being advertised for new bookings, but will be there to accommodate pre-booked traffic.

Thanks Gareth ... I hope everyone who is booked no matter what route they are on get to sail and enjoy their holidays :) 

4 hours ago, David Williams said:

The target is still to be back in service on the 12th May

The 12th May PA sailing seems to be cancelled !

and the Portsmouth - Santander on the 14th appears to start in Plymouth

Edited by David Williams

We are booked Cork/Roscoff on departing June 1st, a sailing that is fully booked. Out of curiosity, given that the Armorique could not take a full Pont Aven load, what would be done? 

Hopefully just a hypothetical question!

4 minutes ago, shar^k said:

We are booked Cork/Roscoff on departing June 1st, a sailing that is fully booked. Out of curiosity, given that the Armorique could not take a full Pont Aven load, what would be done? 

Hopefully just a hypothetical question!

Just sit at the docks for 2 days until she comes back B|

Nip across to Rosslare and jump on an Irish Ferries ship?  Oh no, wait, you can’t do that anymore!

(Actually, that has made me wonder - not really one for this thread - I wonder if IF’s withdrawal from Rosslare may in part be a respose to the introduction of Connemara?)

Just now, shar^k said:

Not for the money I paid over for the Pont Aven!😄

Same here ... an arm and a leg to get to France .. if it's the Connemara then so be it but it sure aint as luxurious as the PA ....

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

Nip across to Rosslare and jump on an Irish Ferries ship?  Oh no, wait, you can’t do that anymore!

(Actually, that has made me wonder - not really one for this thread - I wonder if IF’s withdrawal from Rosslare may in part be a respose to the introduction of Connemara?)

We have used IF for the last few years because they were quite a bit cheaper(despite the fact I live 5 minutes from Ringaskiddy). Just my luck that we book BF with Deluxe cabins out and back for this years trip, so yes an arm and a leg, and the Pont Aven breaks down!

4 minutes ago, shar^k said:

We have used IF for the last few years because they were quite a bit cheaper(despite the fact I live 5 minutes from Ringaskiddy). Just my luck that we book BF with Deluxe cabins out and back for this years trip, so yes an arm and a leg, and the Pont Aven breaks down!

Hey Shark ... what's the Carrigaline court hotel like ..... I'm doing an overnight there.

2 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Hey Shark ... what's the Carrigaline court hotel like ..... I'm doing an overnight there.

That’s my local! It’s Very nice you’ll be very comfortable. 5 mins to the port.

Edited by shar^k

6 minutes ago, shar^k said:

That’s my local! It’s Very nice you’ll be very comfortable. 5 mins to the port.

We drive down from Belfast and always stay over in a hotel on the Friday night before the Saturday sailing .... just hoping the PA is back to normal service as we really love this ship

2 minutes ago, Geezer said:

We drive down from Belfast and always stay over in a hotel on the Friday night before the Saturday sailing .... just hoping the PA is back to normal service as we really love this ship

Agreed, still unsure as to what happens if she’s not back in service!

Just now, shar^k said:

Agreed, still unsure as to what happens if she’s not back in service!

The Armorique is covering the recent sailings but come June/July when there are full loads I don't think she is a s big as Pont Aven and therefore like you, am unsure as to what would happen ... here's hoping for a good outcome.

If there is still a shortfall of capacity later on in the summer, BF may choose to offer a UK landbridge option, then sailings to/from Plymouth Poole or Portsmouth