Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

On 21/04/2019 at 22:38, Fine Whine said:

I’m on Normandie at the moment, main engines have been grumbling away for the last half an hour and I still have a great view of - Ouistreham!

I’ll see if there’s anyone on board I know who might shed some light on the problem

Chris

Yesterday on arrival at Oustreham on Normandie there was a tug standing by, waited for us to turn and was then helped to nudge us up to the berth.......I was out on deck and it did seem that the bow thruster did not have the same level of thrust when pushing to port, but it was definitely running while the tug was pushing - I am only basing this by comparing the level of wash that I could see when the thruster was used in the initial turn, when pushing to starboard, to what I could see when the thruster was being used to push to port to bring us against the berth. There was quite a strong wind blowing from the East at Oustreham, we did not have tug assistance at Portsmouth.

Andy

On 10/05/2019 at 11:46, Gareth said:

Oh - I’ve just read the article.  All her sailings to Spain have been diverted to Plymouth, to enable her to maintain her schedules without having to sail at full speed.

Maybe BF has been listening to hf_uk and has seen the light! 😀

But from mid June onwards the on line timetable shows Pont Aven running from Portsmouth once again. Is that correct? 

5 minutes ago, wortley said:

But from mid June onwards the on line timetable shows Pont Aven running from Portsmouth once again. Is that correct? 

I doubt it. It's probably not been updated yet as they haven't contacted all the affected passengers. That seems to be the way they are doing things from what I've understood on Twitter. They contact people and rebook or confirm the crossing and once that's all OK then they update the timetable to the alternative port. If you try a dummy booking for one of those June dates the system asks you to call them directly. Ed. 

• Like 1

Marketing and PR are not their strong points. They must be hoping ignorance is bliss among their customers, going on the annual family jolly, only to find just before they go that they have to make the trip to another port. If the PA is going to be Plymouth based which makes technical sense, then let everybody know,early, so they can plan accordingly. Drip feeding is going to cause anger and resentment and lose them even more business. 

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I doubt it. It's probably not been updated yet as they haven't contacted all the affected passengers. That seems to be the way they are doing things from what I've understood on Twitter. They contact people and rebook or confirm the crossing and once that's all OK then they update the timetable to the alternative port. If you try a dummy booking for one of those June dates the system asks you to call them directly. Ed. 

Thank you. So there is to be a sailing from Plymouth to Santander every Tuesday evening for the next six months, which people in the West Country might like to book, but it isn't on the Plymouth timetable so they don't know it exists. A secret service. 

• Haha 1

I suspect the sailings will already be fairly heavily booked.  Pont Aven’s summer sailings to Spain are usually packed.

42 minutes ago, wortley said:

Thank you. So there is to be a sailing from Plymouth to Santander every Tuesday evening for the next six months, which people in the West Country might like to book, but it isn't on the Plymouth timetable so they don't know it exists. A secret service. 

I did say to the boss we could do a short break in Santander like we used to but probably to late to book now or will be expensive.

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

I suspect the sailings will already be fairly heavily booked.  Pont Aven’s summer sailings to Spain are usually packed.

Yes I can see why they would want to update things gradually... you cannot expect to be able to change the whole season's sailings in one go. 

3 hours ago, Rik762 said:

AIS now showing Pont Aven destination as Plymouth.  A good sign.

I’m slightly surprised, given where she is, that BF hasn’t routed her via Roscoff first,  and sail her up to Plymouth commercially.  That way she could help Armorique clear the backlog of all the traffic from the missed sailings over the weekend!  (Oh, wait, maybe Armorique can already handle what traffic there is on her multitude of exising sailings!) 😉

2 hours ago, James210700 said:

By the looks of this, it seems Pont-Aven will be back operating Portsmouth to Santander on 11th June

Screenshot 2019-05-13 at 12.57.56.png

That's interesting. I wonder what changes from that date. Are they scrubbing the Plymouth to Roscoff overnight cruise to give her a bit more time in the schedule to get into position on her normal routes knowing that Arm can handle everything at Plymouth with her extra sailings? Ed. 

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That's interesting. I wonder what changes from that date. Are they scrubbing the Plymouth to Roscoff overnight cruise to give her a bit more time in the schedule to get into position on her normal routes knowing that Arm can handle everything at Plymouth with her extra sailings? Ed. 

What would be the point of that?  (She still has to get to Roscoff for the Cork sailing, which is the whole reason why the Plymouth-Roscoff sailing exists in the first place).

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

What would be the point of that?  (She still has to get to Roscoff for the Cork sailing, which is the whole reason why the Plymouth-Roscoff sailing exists in the first place).

Switch it round so Arm goes straight back to Roscoff on Thursdays nights (a little later than normal) and PA does a Friday morning crossing giving her more time to get back up from Spain but still be in place for the Friday night Roscoff departure. It would be a way to use the built-in downtime in PA's schedule to their advantage. Ed

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wortley said:

Thanks to those who thought they knew the answer to this earlier enquiry of mine. I thought I knew the answer too.

But no!  The company is now telling people P/A might resume operations at  Portsmouth in June.  Or might not . It's under review.  

The only reason I can imagine is that nothing has been tested. They don't know how easy/difficult/feasible(!) it is to keep to the new proposed timings. I guess the review part will be after a few rotations - "oh we are running quicker then expected" or "no, this isn't possible" or "yes, this works fine"...

15 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

The only reason I can imagine is that nothing has been tested. They don't know how easy/difficult/feasible(!) it is to keep to the new proposed timings. I guess the review part will be after a few rotations - "oh we are running quicker then expected" or "no, this isn't possible" or "yes, this works fine"...

The problem is you cannot use people and their holiday plans as your guinea pigs. Someone, at board level, has to take the best engineering advice, sit down with the Marine Superintendent and work out a plan. Advise people accordingly and as far as possible, stick to it. Its ok running a fiasco in January but not at the start of peak season🙄

4 minutes ago, Paully said:

The problem is you cannot use people and their holiday plans as your guinea pigs. Someone, at board level, has to take the best engineering advice, sit down with the Marine Superintendent and work out a plan. Advise people accordingly and as far as possible, stick to it. Its ok running a fiasco in January but not at the start of peak season🙄

But surely that is what must be what has happened? Arguably they, by not altering too far ahead, are allowing for a return to Pompey and less disruption IF it can be achieved. And then of course changing back all the people who had already been changed right up to the end of the year!

15 minutes ago, Paully said:

What else would you suggest? The only way any certainty can be achieved is to cancel all sailings - an option nobody wants! Given the unfortunate situation, I think they've done the best they can.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

And then of course changing back all the people who had already been changed right up to the end of the year!

I don't think they have changed everyone yet. They are doing it one crossing at a time. Ed. 

13 minutes ago, penguin said:

What else would you suggest? The only way any certainty can be achieved is to cancel all sailings - an option nobody wants! Given the unfortunate situation, I think they've done the best they can.

I would suggest, they make a decision..either the vessel runs from Plymouth all season or it will run primarily from Portsmouth. They are the ones in possession of all the technical possible know how. No need at all to cancel any sailings, why would you. You just need to let your loyal customers know which port and at what time your ship is sailing and do as as expediously as possible.

as for their best, hmm the jury is out on that one.