Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

They need her back at Portsmouth for freight. This time of year there's usually 70+ trucks - over 2000 tonnes of the stuff -  on her Tuesday midweek Santander sailing from PIP and there's usually an average of 50+ coming back. Both the Cap & BDS are over the weekend.

Well she’s not due in to Plymouth until 07h30 tomorrow morning so no wonder she’s in no hurry...., then out again heading south at 18h00. I think BF are heaving a huge sigh of relief she’s back in service at all 🙃

Chris

• Like 1

One would thus assume that if she has a lengthy lay up in dry dock in early 2020 (and several months is rather significant) that Bretagne will probably not have her usual legnthy winter lay up and will operate regularly next winter?

• Like 1

Yes, the question which remains is what they do with Bretagne between the start of November and PA's withdrawal from service in early 2020. Once the winter timetables kick in then there is normally no need for both of them on the St Malo crossing. Ed. 

I doubt they’ll mothball her for a month.  Bretagne often stays in service until Christmas in any case.  Mind you, she needs a decent refit at some point, so maybe they’ll take the opportunity to send Bretagne to Poland in November?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I doubt they’ll mothball her for a month.  Bretagne often stays in service until Christmas in any case.  Mind you, she needs a decent refit at some point, so maybe they’ll take the opportunity to send Bretagne to Poland in November?

That would certainly seem a logical solution. I just wonder if they want to risk another ship being out of action in case something else breaks on either PA or one of the other vessels which would then leave them with little room for manoeuvre. Ed. 

22 minutes ago, Rik762 said:

It will be very interesting to watch the speeds obtained on the voyage down to Santander tonight.

Sounds like you’re in for a real party Rik! 🤣

I'm not on tonight's sailing - just interested and watching on AIS.  I am, however, on the sailing this Sunday so hoping there are no problems.

3 minutes ago, Rik762 said:

I'm not on tonight's sailing - just interested and watching on AIS.

That’s what I meant! 😉

2 hours ago, Rik762 said:

When your life gets this exciting there is nothing else you need.   😒

I've a copy of Controlling Introductions of Nonindigenous Species by Ship Ballast Water if you want a copy too?

Edited by jonno
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rik762 said:

I'm not on tonight's sailing - just interested and watching on AIS.  I am, however, on the sailing this Sunday so hoping there are no problems.

Position Received: 3 minutes ago (2019-05-14 20:17 (UTC))Vessel's Local Time: 2019-05-14 20:17 (UTC)
Area: UKC - English Channel
Latitude / Longitude:
 49.32708° / -4.64343°
 Underway Using Engine
Speed/Course:
 21.5kn / 198°
AIS Source:
 2234 St Agnes Boating

- Unsure as to the wind at the moment, but not looking bad. Almost 10% above what they expected as a max.

Edited by hf_uk

29 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Position Received: 3 minutes ago (2019-05-14 20:17 (UTC))Vessel's Local Time: 2019-05-14 20:17 (UTC)
Area: UKC - English Channel
Latitude / Longitude:
 49.32708° / -4.64343°
 Underway Using Engine
Speed/Course:
 21.5kn / 198°
AIS Source:
 2234 St Agnes Boating

- Unsure as to the wind at the moment, but not looking bad. Almost 10% above what they expected as a max.

Wind is currently East - 22 knots

1 hour ago, jonno said:

I've a copy of Controlling Introductions of Nonindigenous Species by Ship Ballast Water if you want a copy too?

Thanks for the offer Jonno but I'm on blood pressure medication so don't feel that I could take the risk.

55 minutes ago, Rik762 said:

Thanks for the offer Jonno but I'm on blood pressure medication so don't feel that I could take the risk.

The bit about the European Zebra mussel in the Great Lakes and how they multiply is a bit of a torrid chapter, pictures too, very lusty... so yep I think you're being wise.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3