Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

5 minutes ago, fredinireland said:

So we are booked on the planned return from Roscoff back to Cork this Friday pm so is this still able to happen as we have not been told otherwise?

Yes, that should be operating normally (barring any further problems).

7 minutes ago, fredinireland said:

Thanks Gareth it would be nice to get aboard for the first time.

You’re welcome - and welcome to the forum!

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

Good night Rik?🤣

Oh yes!  Feel a bit weary now but it was worth it when she went from 20.9 to 21.3 knots.

• Haha 1

Oh yes!  Feel a bit weary now but it was worth it when she went from 20.9 to 21.3 knots

Might just have been the tide turning....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Might just have been the tide turning....

Or a collective flushing of the toilets. Ed. 

• Haha 1

Pont Aven is reporting a max of 21.6 and an average of 20.5 knots for this inaugural "3 engine" voyage so far... :)

One of the most informative readings unfortunately its not available on Kindle for anyone contemplating a holiday read!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Pont Aven is reporting a max of 21.6 and an average of 20.5 knots for this inaugural "3 engine" voyage so far... :)

So she arrived in Santander today after taking 21 hours 40 minutes from Plymouth on three engines. Is it normally 20 hours with all four engines running ?

5 hours ago, hf_uk said:

About the speed of an eflexer then !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wortley said:

So she arrived in Santander today after taking 21 hours 40 minutes from Plymouth on three engines. Is it normally 20 hours with all four engines running ?

I think you’ll find it’s normally 19.5 hours Wortley, leaving Plymouth at 15h45 local time, arriving Santander at 12h15 local time.

Chris 

But it was a diverted Portsmouth sailing, which was scheduled for 24 hours.  So there was no need to hurry, and she did it in far less than passengers would have been expecting.

11 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I think you’ll find it’s normally 19.5 hours Wortley, leaving Plymouth at 15h45 local time, arriving Santander at 12h15 local time.

Chris 

When she launched it was 18 hours Chris! But they soon realised that the extra energy needed to get up to 27kts was enormous. They now advertise the service as running at 25kts. To be fair that is still pretty good, hence recently the 20ish hour Plymouth - Spain timings. And that isn't berth to berth at that speed as I am sure you know:) Part of why I dislike the extra stint up to Portsmouth is that she goes so slowly up the channel. I have often been onboard going about 9.5 kts, which just seems to defeat the point of the fast service.

I am impressed that she did it in that time yesterday, but I did half expect it. The 3 engines wouldn't have been at 100% either, probably about 85%. It just goes to show that if she really went flat out all the way, 27kts or even a little more, she could do some amazingly impressive times, to Portsmouth or Plymouth. But that is not practical and unlikely to happen again I fear... 

Still, positive signs for the season!

• Like 1

So basically PA has another, unconnected, problem and can't do either Cork or Santander this weekend so Armorique is again standing in for her to Cork and they are cancelling the weekend service to Roscoff. I wonder what has gone wrong this time. Ed. 

• Sad 1

On 16/05/2019 at 09:46, hf_uk said:

I am impressed that she did it in that time yesterday, but I did half expect it. The 3 engines wouldn't have been at 100% either, probably about 85%. It just goes to show that if she really went flat out all the way, 27kts or even a little more, she could do some amazingly impressive times, to Portsmouth or Plymouth. But that is not practical and unlikely to happen again I fear...

She'd be a very useful government charter in an emergency (war) situation with those speeds!

33 minutes ago, Tregastel said:

Apparently it's a "rudder issue". She is returning to Brest for repairs!

It’s going to take a week apparently.

35 minutes ago, donalmaceoin said:

I am scheduled to go from Cork to Roscoff on saturday 25th. What are the chances of this going to plan. I'm travelling with 3 children under 6 so want this to be as smooth as possible.

Difficult to say.  Currently those sailings are not affected, so provided the repairs go according to schedule (and nothing else goes wrong) you should be ok.

1 hour ago, donalmaceoin said:

I am scheduled to go from Cork to Roscoff on saturday 25th. What are the chances of this going to plan. I'm travelling with 3 children under 6 so want this to be as smooth as possible.

Maintaining this route does currently seem to be a priority so they will probably use the vessel Armorique to do the trip if Pont Aven is not back in service. The timings are likely to be different however if that's the case. Ed. 

A bit much when BF’s flagship seems to have been beset by mechanical issues - not just over the past few weeks - whilst good old Bretagne just keeps reliably ploughing along. Can I be the only one that thinks Bretagne is not the vessel that should be being retired?

Edited by JenT
  • Like 4