Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

51 minutes ago, Rik762 said:

I was on the Plymouth to Santander voyage this Sunday. They have moved me to St Malo from Portsmouth the day before.

That's still a lot of driving to get to where you want to be. How much have they offered as an allowance for that distance? I assume somewhere in region of €130. Ed. 

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Maintaining this route does currently seem to be a priority so they will probably use the vessel Armorique to do the trip if Pont Aven is not back in service. The timings are likely to be different however if that's the case. Ed. 

I wonder whether they might consider swapping Armorique onto Cork-Roscoff a little more semi-permanently over the summer, with Pont Aven taking on the Plymouth Roscoff sailings. 

They may have to but I doubt they want to. She's too slow to really fit in with package holiday timings and the lack of a formal restaurant does count against her. Ed. 

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

They may have to but I doubt they want to. She's too slow to really fit in with package holiday timings and the lack of a formal restaurant does count against her. Ed. 

BF may have to choose reliability or quality of service. Tough Decision to make.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

That's still a lot of driving to get to where you want to be. How much have they offered as an allowance for that distance? I assume somewhere in region of €130. Ed. 

Seems some aren’t happy with the compensation.

“it’s been a nightmare, still fighting to get extra money from the lash up of sailing the ferry all the way back to Brest !! Loosing two days holiday And then saying we’re only getting £170 for our onward travel to get to Santander 😂 the tolls alone were £100 there living in cloud cookoo land by paying a set mileage !! ridiculous if you ask me !! Oh and also refusing to speak to any one and insisting we email our complaints as there’s no manager to speak to and will take at least 2 weeks to reply !! There customer service has been rubbish !!”

• Like 1

We were informed at 12.30 the sailing tonight was cancelled. I guess compensation is excluded somewhere in the small print so that is the start and the end of the holiday ruined and the extra costs will be a reminder. They dont answer the phone which is rather Ryan Air'ish as in a crisis just shut up shop.

We have dogs in kennels and now have a hotel to add with an early start in the morning with a whole day on a ferry not of our choosing.

37 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

“it’s been a nightmare, still fighting to get extra money from the lash up of sailing the ferry all the way back to Brest !! Loosing two days holiday And then saying we’re only getting £170 for our onward travel to get to Santander 😂 the tolls alone were £100 there living in cloud cookoo land by paying a set mileage !! ridiculous if you ask me !! Oh and also refusing to speak to any one and insisting we email our complaints as there’s no manager to speak to and will take at least 2 weeks to reply !! There customer service has been rubbish !!”

Looking at some of the tweets, BF are prepared to pay for a nights hotel if they get sent receipts and it is less than 80 Euros, I imagine that they would also consider tolls if the precise amount is given (and Via Michelin makes calculating tolls easy), however it is processed at the Customer Services area that only responds to emails.

However they are in their standard mess of cancelling weekend sailings and having limited capacity to deal with the phone calls.

21 minutes ago, Paully said:

It does appear, sadly, that Brest is becoming the home port of the Pont

Plymouth is twinned with Brest, BF are just trying to assist with the twinning by running regular ferries.

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

But Neil, look on the bright side. The crew have had nothing to do for the last fortnight. When she does reenter service her cabins will be spotless. 😂 Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

£150 for the French bit and £40 for Plymouth to Portsmouth.

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

But Neil, look on the bright side. The crew have had nothing to do for the last fortnight. When she does reenter service her cabins will be spotless. 😂 Ed. 

Sadly the crew only chuck you out of cabins 30 mins early and remove the sheets, they don't seem to have any cleaning roles.

24 minutes ago, Rik762 said:

£150 for the French bit and £40 for Plymouth to Portsmouth.

Thanks. The £40 is a standard rate that was mentioned last week whether travelling by car or by train apparently. The £150 seems reasonable enough I suppose. Is that per person or per vehicle? If you were doing those 963 kilometres by car for work in France, your employer would be legally required to pay you around 520€ for a mid-sized family car. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

Here we go again, back to worrying about whether or not we will be sailing on the 1 June🙄🙄Awful feeling I have Landbridge in my future!!

Edited by shar^k

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Thanks. The £40 is a standard rate that was mentioned last week whether travelling by car or by train apparently. The £150 seems reasonable enough I suppose. If that per person or per vehicle? If you were doing those 963 kilometres by car for work in France, your employer would be legally required to pay you around 520€ for a mid-sized family car. Ed. 

That is per vehicle CB

3 minutes ago, Rik762 said:

That is per vehicle CB

Hmm! Did they offer you a full refund instead? I only ask as, much as I like Bretagne, after 12 hours on board a ferry I'd want to be a bit further south than St Malo for the price I imagine you have paid. In your position I'd be looking at the tunnel and a hotel overnight I think but the number of available drivers, their ages and various other factors would probably come into play. Ed. 

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Hmm! Did they offer you a full refund instead? I only ask as, much as I like Bretagne, after 12 hours on board a ferry I'd want to be a bit further south than St Malo for the price I imagine you have paid. In your position I'd be looking at the tunnel and a hotel overnight I think but the number of available drivers, their ages and various other factors would probably come into play. Ed. 

I was quite happy with the offering as there are six of us and two cars involved. We will have an extra night in France which will then enable us to keep up our six other bookings throughout Spain.  All part of the game.

• Thanks 1

According to Twitter the call centre is in meltdown. And guess what? Apparently it stayed open until 6.30 pm to deal with the vast number of calls. There are a number of words that I could use to express my opinion of that attitude on a Friday night but none are really publishable. 

This Twitter exchange really sums up the frustration that passengers are experiencing. 

https://twitter.com/BrittanyFerries/status/1129359926739046401?s=20

I know that BF Iikes to have individual ships, each with its own unique character but in a situation like this it really does limit their options. A fleet of two or three identical vessels makes swapping around so much easier and means you can still accommodate people as you intended. Maybe that's one reason why they have opted for the E-flexers. Ed

• Like 1

According to Twitter the call centre is in meltdown. And guess what? Apparently it stayed open until 6.30 pm to deal with the vast number of calls. There are a number of words that I could use to express my opinion of that attitude on a Friday night but none are really publishable. 

This Twitter exchange really sums up the frustration that passengers are experiencing. 

I know that BF Iikes to have individual ships, each with its own unique character but in a situation like this it really does limit their options. A fleet of two or three identical vessels makes swapping around so much easier and means you can still accommodate people as you intended. Maybe that's one reason why they have opted for the E-flexers. Ed

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

But my forum friends on here have explained to me that the E- flexers  are too big for Plymouth, so not much progress in that sort of swapping around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wortley said:

But my forum friends on here have explained to me that the E- flexers  are too big for Plymouth, so not much progress in that sort of swapping around. 

That's true but as all three are supposed to be based in Portsmouth that will, at least, help the situation there. Ed. 

Thanks. The £40 is a standard rate that was mentioned last week whether travelling by car or by train apparently. The £150 seems reasonable enough I suppose. Is that per person or per vehicle? If you were doing those 963 kilometres by car for work in France, your employer would be legally required to pay you around 520€ for a mid-sized family car. Ed. 

Surely, that is a nasty remnant from what you may call "the good old days", which we don't want anymore. Companies being bled,and some employees having vastly different benefits to others and so on. Why should anyone get such a rate? I know people who earn less than I do but take home close to 50% more each year, due to "fuel, hotel, sundries.." Just because it's law doesn't make it right. Surely you wouldn't want BF to pay 50pence a mile or something ridiculous - otherwise there wouldn't be a BF for very much longer.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

In fairness..I think those parents should not have been travelling anywhere at all...other than by someone else doing the driving

• Confused 1