Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

15 minutes ago, Paully said:

In fairness..I think those parents should not have been travelling anywhere at all...other than by someone else doing the driving

Planes have flexibility in times of uncertainty, because there are many. Airlines have many, and also even have the option to charter or set an arrangement with another operator, with the exact same configuration. A 737 may take 200 people. 200 seats. Lovely.

What do you do with a vessel taking 2000 people, on a route not served by anyone else, with 10 different classes of accommodation? You can't muster up another £100M+ just to have a spare clone sitting ready!

16 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Planes have flexibility in times of uncertainty, because there are many. Airlines have many, and also even have the option to charter or set an arrangement with another operator, with the exact same configuration. A 737 may take 200 people. 200 seats. Lovely.

What do you do with a vessel taking 2000 people, on a route not served by anyone else, with 10 different classes of accommodation? You can't muster up another £100M+ just to have a spare clone sitting ready!

Eh????????what you on about..where do planes come into it...........sorry you`ve lost me entirely

I was merely more broadly stating that in the travel industry it is lot easier to cater for disruption in certain sectors than others. 

ie. its easier to have a spare plane, or a spare river cruiser than a spare cruise ferry.

However - in direct response - BF are basically doing what you have suggested. They have 3 (near enough) identical e-flexers coming in within the next few years, to solely serve Spain. But I do not see however that would help in a case such as this. E-flexer 1 and 2 are happily running according to their schedule at full speed, and e-flexer 3 has a technical breakdown for example. How could the situation be improved?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I was merely more broadly stating that in the travel industry it is lot easier to cater for disruption in certain sectors than others. 

ie. its easier to have a spare plane, or a spare river cruiser than a spare cruise ferry.

However - in direct response - BF are basically doing what you have suggested. They have 3 (near enough) identical e-flexers coming in within the next few years, to solely serve Spain. But I do not see however that would help in a case such as this. E-flexer 1 and 2 are happily running according to their schedule at full speed, and e-flexer 3 has a technical breakdown for example. How could the situation be improved?

Still dont know what the hell you`re on about....I was talking about the `twitter`  relating to a  couple of very elderly people who I don`t think should have been driving let alone on or even off a ferry ..

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Surely, that is a nasty remnant from what you may call "the good old days", which we don't want anymore. Companies being bled,and some employees having vastly different benefits to others and so on. Why should anyone get such a rate? I know people who earn less than I do but take home close to 50% more each year, due to "fuel, hotel, sundries.." Just because it's law doesn't make it right. Surely you wouldn't want BF to pay 50pence a mile or something ridiculous - otherwise there wouldn't be a BF for very much longer.

I get something similar to that when I use my car to visit customers and that transport cost is passed on to those customers. Obviously if public transport is available, I'll take that and regularly do. Any customer based way out of town is fully aware that they have to pay for suppliers or service providers to visit them and either the cost is built into the contract price or added later. 

It's the same with tax over here. If I take my car to work I get a tax credit based on the number of kms I do per day multiplied by the number of days worked and multiplied by a specific amount depending on the power of the engine. 

I assume BF pay what they do based on some convention in the travel industry. But it is clearly not calculated based on the type of vehicle which it perhaps should be (size, fuel, number of passengers). Ed. 

• Like 1

my Dads 78 and driving to France in a couple of weeks from Scotland is he ok to drive by your standards? Or is he too old?

• Like 2

my Dads 78 and driving to France in a couple of weeks from Scotland is he ok to drive by your standards? Or is he too old?

16 minutes ago, Paully said:

Still dont know what the hell you`re on about....I was talking about the `twitter`  relating to a  couple of very elderly people who I don`t think should have been driving let alone on or even off a ferry ..

AH - skeen! LOL - Many apologies Paully. I quoted the wrong post! (my reply still stands though, just not to that) :)

11 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I get something similar to that when I use my car to visit customers and that transport cost is passed on to those customers. Obviously if public transport is available, I'll take that and regularly do. Any customer based way out of town is fully aware that they have to pay for suppliers or service providers to visit them and either the cost is built into the contract price or added later. 

It's the same with tax over here. If I take my car to work I get a tax credit based on the number of kms I do per day multiplied by the number of days worked and multiplied by a specific amount depending on the power of the engine. 

I assume BF pay what they do based on some convention in the travel industry. But it is clearly not calculated based on the type of vehicle which it perhaps should be (size, fuel, number of passengers). Ed. 

I totally understand Ed, fine to certainly be compensated and recompensed when you are put out. There is nothing wrong with expenses being paid fairly etc, or complying with employment laws of that country, but I don't think it's a fair comparison for people to use when being compensated for unforeseeable travel diversions.

I've been a bit busy lately so haven't kept up to date so could someone explain something please.

As far as I'm aware the only difference is that Pont Aven is sailing from Plymouth?

Is she still fulfilling her Plymouth/Roscoff/Cork rotation?

If so, why are passengers being transferred to Armorique?

If the Pont is unable to fulfil all of her duties and continue to give booked passengers the service they're expecting would it not be prudent to secure the charter of similarly endowed vessel in the short term... they'll need one next spring when BDS leaves anyway?

Irish Ferries had an agreement with Minoan in case WBY was delayed further.

8 minutes ago, jonno said:

I've been a bit busy lately so haven't kept up to date so could someone explain something please.

As far as I'm aware the only difference is that Pont Aven is sailing from Plymouth?

Is she still fulfilling her Plymouth/Roscoff/Cork rotation?

If so, why are passengers being transferred to Armorique?

If the Pont is unable to fulfil all of her duties and continue to give booked passengers the service they're expecting would it not be prudent to secure the charter Moof similarly endowed vessel in the short term... they'll need one next spring when BDS leaves anyway?

Irish Ferries had an agreement with Minoan in case WBY was delayed further.

It appears that there was a second technical fault which was unrelated Jonno. She is in Brest until at least Monday by the look of it. (Weekend Cork rotation being done by ARM)

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:180999/zoom:10

Edited by hf_uk

4 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

It appears that there was a second technical fault which was unrelated Jonno. She is in Brest until at least Monday by the look of it. (Weekend Cork rotation being done by ARM)

Ah I see, another fault... no comment.

I just had a browse through the BF newsroom and came across this article from last months. From the title it would seem they are incredibly pro-Brexit. Who would have predicted that? It certainly explains their willingness to sign up to Chris Grayling's scheme. 😉 

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/take-back-control-and-make-a-break-with-europe-says-brittany-ferries/

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

25 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I just had a browse through the BF newsroom and came across this article from last months. From the title it would seem they are incredibly pro-Brexit. Who would have predicted that? It certainly explains their willingness to sign up to Chris Grayling's scheme. 😉 

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/take-back-control-and-make-a-break-with-europe-says-brittany-ferries/

Ed

One of those cases where the title is open to misinterpretation and not reflected in the accompanying article.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, G4rth said:

One of those cases where the title is open to misinterpretation and not reflected in the accompanying article.

Heh! I think you might be right. How silly of me for not noticing! 😏

But a bit worrying nevertheless. I mean, most of the population don't read any further than the headlines they see, unless of course they spot something shocking or which goes against their perceived knowledge. Just imagine a 'journalist' (and I use the term advisedly as that's probably what it says on the office door) at the Plymouth Herald spotted it. It could cause mayhem. Although BF seem to be doing that very nicely themselves just recently anyway, but through no direct fault of their own. Ed. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Plymouth Herald spotted it. It could cause mayhem.

Only if a few nore people read it😋

5 hours ago, BobCrox said:

Only if a few nore people read it😋

Who are these 'nore' people? Presumably they are the ones who actually take an interest in such things while those who don't are the 'ignore' people. 😉 Ed. 

So the pa is in Brest at the mo and the timetable still shows a sailing on the 22nd Wednesday.

I wonder if it could be cutting it a bit fine for that sailing, also worried about our sailing on the 29th back to the uk and wonder if we should be making alternative plans!

1 hour ago, Nick Anderson said:

So the pa is in Brest at the mo and the timetable still shows a sailing on the 22nd Wednesday.

I wonder if it could be cutting it a bit fine for that sailing, also worried about our sailing on the 29th back to the uk and wonder if we should be making alternative plans!

The news release said 'As a consequence of reduced steering capacity in one of two steering systems she is not able to complete her rotation from Roscoff to Cork departing 20:30 Friday (local time). Nor will she be available for scheduled services between the UK and Spain next week.'

That implies no sailings this week, however I imagine that they should know more by now - the problem is that Customer Service work a day at a time and can not cope with problems like this - especially at weekends.

Nick, if you make an alternative plan you might end up paying twice if PA does somehow return to service. However, if you don't have a plan B you might not get to Spain. If she doesn't run BF will offer you an alternative I suspect, via St Malo most likely, and then a lengthy drive south. I'd try ringing them on Monday first thing if you haven't heard anything by then. Ed.