News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

5 minutes ago, Eric_Ireland said:

After traveling with BF and the Pont-Aven for 10 years, my experience is that communication is always very slow and that reservation offices both in France or Ireland often not have information or do not want to tell. The strategy seems to be to wait to the very last minute before getting back to their customers. When the PA cought fire I was supposed to travel the following Saturday from Cork to Roscoff. There was quite some confusion - also understandable - but they left me clueless. As I had to go back in any case, I had to book a trip with Irish Ferries WB Yeats from Dublin to Cherbourg. Reluctantly, I must say. And the surprise, a positive one, was huge. Very good vessel, Deluxe cabins very modern and more comfortable than PA's Commodore Class (double beds, for instance and endless amenities...), very relaxed dog handling (no muzzles) - even though you can't visit Pets all the time and the pee stop is no in fresh air. I liked it. A good alternative, even though Dublin is further away from Kerry than Cork.

We would not have any chance of booking with Irish Ferries as an alternative for June/July if that was to be the case ..... Belfast to Dublin is very easy for me but they no longer sail to Roscoff ..... plus the fact that they are probably well and truly booked solid now for the summer season. The worst case scenario is for us to go Dublin/Holyhead and then from the mainland to France ... not really what we would like to do  .... but if needs must I suppose.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pont Aven in Poole Bay - sheltering from the weather today.

Hello Fadah, hello Mudda, I have got a dodgy ruddah And I think I must inform ya That I cannot turn around a corner But the ship yard they will sort it Even if they

Golly that's pushing it Neil, I think they're just praying for any sort of boarding for now.... Chris

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Geezer said:

Hey Shar^k .... BF Cork say that as the Pont Aven is due back in service shortly, no alternative travel plans have been made.

I got the same reply to an email I sent them. However Port of Corks website is still showing Armorique as the expected vessel this weekend. 

4 hours ago, Geezer said:

Hey Shar^k .... BF Cork say that as the Pont Aven is due back in service shortly, no alternative travel plans have been made.

I got the same reply to an email I sent them. However Port of Corks website is still showing Armorique as the expected vessel this weekend. 

Edited by shar^k
23 minutes ago, kgst said:

The repair of the Pont Aven hydraulic system is taking longer than expected. Brittany Ferries announces that rotations planned until the end of May are canceled.

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/transports/brittany-ferries-le-pont-aven-reste-en-reparation-a-brest-plus-longtemps-que-prevu-1558451639

Hopefully the end of May 

Edited by neilcvx
48 minutes ago, shar^k said:

“We’re Hoping” does not exactly inspire confidence!

Indeed , my parents are now on the Wednesday sailing arriving on a bank holiday as well as being up early less than chuffed but no long drive at least.

The season is turning into a bit of a disaster for Pont Aven.  I hope this is not symptomatic of a refit that was more preoccupied with cosmetic rebranding than technical maintenance.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The season is turning into a bit of a disaster for Pont Aven.  I hope this is not symptomatic of a refit that was more preoccupied with cosmetic rebranding than technical maintenance.

Yes the guy in the call centre said he wished everybody was as nice as my Dad, it’s certainly a year to forget ship wise with Honfluer and Pont but better days are ahead hopefully 😉

7 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Yes the guy in the call centre said he wished everybody was as nice as my Dad, it’s certainly a year to forget ship wise with Honfluer and Pont but better days are ahead hopefully 😉

Don't forget that Normandie is off in June for her bow thruster repair. Ed. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, donalmaceoin said:

Connemara will do the cork roscoff route this weekend (supposedly). Am i allowed to cancel my booking with a full refund now they have changed the ship

You'd need to speak to BF - but your ticket / contract is for transport between Cork and Roscoff rather than a specific ship, so I wouldn't have thought it grounds to cancel.

12 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Don't forget that Normandie is off in June for her bow thruster repair. Ed. 

As Queen Liz would say it’s been an “ anus horrible “ or something like that 😉

Well our 29th booking is out of the window, PA to Plymouth. So we’re stuffed.

the new timetable shows PA starting again on the 3rd of June but already the top cabins are showing sold out, does this mean that they are going to give pre booked passengers like ourselves 1st dibs!

I was booked Sunday Plym - Roscoff and have managed to re book on Poole - Cherbourg Friday morning. This entails a 04.00 departure from home in Plymouth to get checked in on time. BF insist on only offering one nights accommodation. Our trip is part of a holiday with accommodation close to Santander. So it is three nights extra hotel but they only offer one night compensation. 

Has anyone been successful in claiming any extra nights. 

15 minutes ago, Bisnick said:

I was booked Sunday Plym - Roscoff and have managed to re book on Poole - Cherbourg Friday morning. This entails a 04.00 departure from home in Plymouth to get checked in on time. BF insist on only offering one nights accommodation. Our trip is part of a holiday with accommodation close to Santander. So it is three nights extra hotel but they only offer one night compensation. 

Has anyone been successful in claiming any extra nights. 

I would imagine you are well in the right, but I suspect you would have to take them to the small claims court for redress. Your contract is for travel by sea to Spain. If they can't fulfil their contract with you, as in this case, then appropriate financial compensation has to be made. One night in a hotel is a joke...In the short term they say showing them up on Twitter does work..try that first..good luck

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, wortley said:

Bisnick,  does your travel insurance policy come into play in the sort of situation you are facing? 

You read my mind, I was just looking for the telephone number for this and the extra days will push me over the 30 days limit on the insurance so wanted to check what it will cost extra.

Whilst you would have sympathy for the Customer service staff in BF because of these disruptions in sailings & the extra workload - the way the company is dealing with the problems has to be called into question. If for example you were an average punter who did not have access to or know about the BFE site and were using the sailing updates page on the BF site to check on their sailing this weekend -the updates page is not accurate and they are blissfully unaware that they are facing problems . Now that BF know PA won't be back before 1st June surely they should make customers aware of that so that they can plan accordingly. No one could have foreseen this serious of techical problems but how the Company deals with them has a big impact on customer  loyalty.

On the Irish route many customers moved over to BF this year from IF because of the way they were treated over the late delivery of the WBY & the treatment here is no better. BF had a better reputation but they are fast losing it ..

Pont Aven has a complex schedule. It serves FIVE ports, not just two. It is a far more complex job to accommodate because of this. You will never be able to please everyone unless the literally take a ship off another route to cover her... but even then, what's the point because no other vessels have the speed or capacity.

51 minutes ago, kgst said:

On the Irish route many customers moved over to BF this year from IF because of the way they were treated over the late delivery of the WBY & the treatment here is no better. BF had a better reputation but they are fast losing it ..

They need to be careful about not losing their loyal customers on all the routes they serve, but especially to Ireland and Spain otherwise those three new E-Flexers might not be needed after all. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Gareth locked and unpinned this topic