Jump to content
News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News


Recommended Posts

I think the reason Armorique hasn't been moved to Cork this weekend (whilst she was the previous 3 weekends) is due to this weekend being a much busier time on Plymouth-Roscoff (Whitsun half-term starts). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pont Aven in Poole Bay - sheltering from the weather today.

Hello Fadah, hello Mudda, I have got a dodgy ruddah And I think I must inform ya That I cannot turn around a corner But the ship yard they will sort it Even if they

Golly that's pushing it Neil, I think they're just praying for any sort of boarding for now.... Chris

Posted Images

2 hours ago, shar^k said:

Just logged manage my booking to be greeted by this, not good😡😡

 

631DBE7A-0E57-4421-A453-A5CBC143C1D8.png

On twitter they are saying that is just a website issue as the sailings are off sale, however the bookings are ok in their system, it is worth doing a DM with your booking reference to check.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From the sailings update page:

Pont-Aven – Latest news

23rd May 2019

Unfortunately, following investigation it was found that damage to the starboard side steering gear was more extensive than originally suspected. This has meant a longer lay-over in Brest than originally planned to source replacement parts and carry out a comprehensive repair.

A repair procedure has been defined with the agreement of Bureau Veritas (certification authority) and the manufacturer. In parallel, a complete check of the port steering gear has been carried out.

At the moment we do not have a confirmed date for return to service, however, we are currently in the process contacting affected passengers, prioritising those with imminent departures. We will communicate this as soon as possible via our sailings update page. 

Ed

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any word about what caused this “damage”?  I had assumed that it was just some sort of equipment failure, but “damage” implies an incident of some sort.  Did she ground?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 'Damage' might just be the consequence of the oil leak. If it affected the lubrication system (and I'm no engineer) then maybe some internal parts were damaged. The engine fire was, I believe, on the port side so presumably there is no link there. Unless that caused manoeuvrability issues and, as you say Gareth, she hit the seabed or rocks on her way into Roscoff. Ed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's a few weeks away yet but we are due out of Cork at the end of June, do you reckon she will be back by then ? I don't want to have to start trying to book alternatives at that time of the year with perhaps a weeks notice !!!  ... turning into a nightmare this is ... and I feel really sorry for all those who's travel plans have been thrown up in the air.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Geezer said:

I know it's a few weeks away yet but we are due out of Cork at the end of June, do you reckon she will be back by then ? I don't want to have to start trying to book alternatives at that time of the year with perhaps a weeks notice !!!  ... turning into a nightmare this is ... and I feel really sorry for all those who's travel plans have been thrown up in the air.

 Well for what it’s worth I suspect BF are doing everything they can to get her back up and running ASAP, including using their plane to fly parts up and hopefully now they know exactly what is required , so hopefully it will be fixed by then .

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad that they have made some announcement on this, their practice of trying to conceal known facts and work through the bookings in sequence causes major problems to people with bookings and plans.

It is especially difficult as it is a Spanish route affected as none of the options are particularly good - after all one books on the Spanish sailings to avoid a drive through France.

I hope that BF will learn something from this and improve communications in the future - one method would have been use third party call centres to give information and filter calls and then pass the really urgent ones and messages to BF. 

It is unacceptable for holiday plans that there is still significant doubt over crossings due on the 1st June onwards.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nick Anderson said:

Just saw on the bf website that Plymouth to Santander is now cancelled on the 2nd June.

so I guess our 3rd departure the next day from Santander is a no go!!

I just noticed that as well, seems we won’t be going on holiday next Saturday😡😡

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps BF would be better just to pull PA and get the steering and the engine work done in one go ... then we could all get a refund  and plan alternative travel for the summer... all this waiting is doing me no good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Nick Anderson said:

Just saw on the bf website that Plymouth to Santander is now cancelled on the 2nd June.

so I guess our 3rd departure the next day from Santander is a no go!!

They say:

02/06/19 Plymouth to Santander 17:45 - We are in the process of contacting clients travelling on this sailing.

I guess you can expect a call about the following day's return trip within the next 24 hours. Ed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pont-Aven – Latest news

24 May 2019

Every effort is being made to get Pont-Aven back in service as soon as possible, we are liaising closely with the shipyard and will update this page once we have a confirmed date. As a precaution, we are in the process of contacting and assisting clients due to travel from Plymouth to Santander on 2 June.

We will have a clear idea early next week, if your sailing is affected you will be notified by email and SMS, we will also update this page.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend just received an email from BF relating to next week and her sailing from Cork. Roscoff to Cork on May 31 and  Cork to Roscoff on June 1st are in doubt ... Will know more early next week and are being advised to arrange alternative travel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two additional Cork-Roscoff rotations showing up on the Freight timetables. 

Dep Cork: 2200 Friday and 0830 Sunday

Dep Roscoff:  1800 Saturday 0030 early Monday morning

 

Should help!

Screenshot_20190525-083827.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I received this last night at 10:15pm,

Because of a technical issue of Pont Aven, the Roscoff-Cork sailing of May 31st and Cork-Roscoff sailing of June 1st are in doubt, but are not at this point cancelled. If you choose to make alternative travel arrangements this weekend, we will honour a refund of your booking. We will have a clear idea early next week, and if the sailing is cancelled, all affected customers will be contacted by SMS and email. We will at that point strive to assist all customers make their onward travel plans.”

There is no way to contact the Irish end of Brittany Ferries today as the office is closed, they are not answering emails and the phone line says they only answer mon-fri. 

Sending the email at that hour on a Friday night knowing nobody will be able to contact them is not my idea of good customer service.

I know the situation Brittany Ferries find themselves in is very difficult, but once again it’s seems the Irish end of the business is is pretty low on the list of priorities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shar^k said:

If you choose to make alternative travel arrangements this weekend, we will honour a refund of your booking

Isn't this just saying that you can book Irish Ferries to Cherbourg instead and BF will refund you at some point in the future - that can be done by email if needed - I guess that they knew the phones won't be manned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Isn't this just saying that you can book Irish Ferries to Cherbourg instead and BF will refund you at some point in the future - that can be done by email if needed - I guess that they knew the phones won't be manned.

No space left on Friday or Sundays IF sailing. 

Edited by shar^k
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gareth locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...